Solid Axle For D22 ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Okay so I have been doing some research into this and a couple of people have done this already, but there are different ways to go about it, the easiest way there I can think to do it seems logical but I am not sure if anyone has done it.

Options:
1. Get a Dana 44 diff and put it under the front using either the calmini system or rugged rocks/others. It sounds like it is hard to get a dana 44 axle in Aus and sourcing spare would be horrible. Also people seem to destroy the transfers after the swap. If there a more common diff which has the correct width and passenger side drop which could be used (I know mot of the toyota/nissan live axles use a drivers side drop).

2. Get a GQ chassis and swap the D22 cab onto it, lots of messing around with body mounts also need to use a diff/modified sump to allow for the drivers side drop dif. This is a good option for spare parts but still a lot of hassle.

3. Gte a GQ/GU patrol diff and flip it (this looks like a lot of hard work), then set it up like the Dana 44 diff with a kit like calmini etc or get it fabbed locally.

3. This seems like the best option. Get the rear half of a rd28 patrol gear box and transfer which should bolt straight onto the ZD30 gearbox. This makes the front prop shaft a drivers side drop style so patrol diffs can be used, also gets rid of the D22 transfer which seems to struggle with the live axle diffs (have read people who have a SAS that the D22 transfer doesnt last too long). Could also keep the standard GQ suspension set up which will make it easier to engineer. One problem with this is that the room under the cab is on the passenger side for the transfer, if the transfer switches side I am not sure how much room there would be there (a body lift would help this I think?). You would also need a new sump so that the prop shaft could travel to the drivers side not passenger side, so the obvious one to use is the ZD30 patrol sump (does it bolt onto the D22 ZD30, I assumed it would?), the only question is given how big a patrol is it may drop down too low. Also I am not sure if the front crossmembers would need to be modified with the new transfer case + front prop shaft. Best thing is patrol diffs come in the right ratios (3.9,4.375,4.625) so you can get the right ratio to match your rear diff. Could you keep the radius arms and panhard rod setup?( I know this limits flex compared to a heim joint 3 link setups but keeping the original suspension would be more desirable for an engineer signing off on it). Not sure if the radius arms would line up where you need them to mount them to the chassis (if you keep them in the standard mounts on the GQ diff, also caster may be an issue which needs correcting), the panhard shouldnt be a problem to mount to the chassis rails near the shock/spring/coilover mounts. And for steering apparently the GQ could be adapted to the D22 also making that easy.

My question is has anyone done this, my main concern would move the new transfer and if there is enough room to fit it under the cab/ inside the drivers side chassis rail?

Shorty

Okay so I have been doing some research into this and a couple of people have done this already, but there are different ways to go about it, the easiest way there I can think to do it seems logical but I am not sure if anyone has done it.

Options:
1. Get a Dana 44 diff and put it under the front using either the calmini system or rugged rocks/others. It sounds like it is hard to get a dana 44 axle in Aus and sourcing spare would be horrible. Also people seem to destroy the transfers after the swap. If there a more common diff which has the correct width and passenger side drop which could be used (I know mot of the toyota/nissan live axles use a drivers side drop).

2. Get a GQ chassis and swap the D22 cab onto it, lots of messing around with body mounts also need to use a diff/modified sump to allow for the drivers side drop dif. This is a good option for spare parts but still a lot of hassle.

3. Gte a GQ/GU patrol diff and flip it (this looks like a lot of hard work), then set it up like the Dana 44 diff with a kit like calmini etc or get it fabbed locally.

3. This seems like the best option. Get the rear half of a rd28 patrol gear box and transfer which should bolt straight onto the ZD30 gearbox. This makes the front prop shaft a drivers side drop style so patrol diffs can be used, also gets rid of the D22 transfer which seems to struggle with the live axle diffs (have read people who have a SAS that the D22 transfer doesnt last too long). Could also keep the standard GQ suspension set up which will make it easier to engineer. One problem with this is that the room under the cab is on the passenger side for the transfer, if the transfer switches side I am not sure how much room there would be there (a body lift would help this I think?). You would also need a new sump so that the prop shaft could travel to the drivers side not passenger side, so the obvious one to use is the ZD30 patrol sump (does it bolt onto the D22 ZD30, I assumed it would?), the only question is given how big a patrol is it may drop down too low. Also I am not sure if the front crossmembers would need to be modified with the new transfer case + front prop shaft. Best thing is patrol diffs come in the right ratios (3.9,4.375,4.625) so you can get the right ratio to match your rear diff. Could you keep the radius arms and panhard rod setup?( I know this limits flex compared to a heim joint 3 link setups but keeping the original suspension would be more desirable for an engineer signing off on it). Not sure if the radius arms would line up where you need them to mount them to the chassis (if you keep them in the standard mounts on the GQ diff, also caster may be an issue which needs correcting), the panhard shouldnt be a problem to mount to the chassis rails near the shock/spring/coilover mounts. And for steering apparently the GQ could be adapted to the D22 also making that easy.

My question is has anyone done this, my main concern would move the new transfer and if there is enough room to fit it under the cab/ inside the drivers side chassis rail?

Shorty

If u stick the cab on a GQ chassis, that leaves the future option of a 4.2L TD when you get extra adventurous :biggrin:

Option 3. Keep the stock transfer and get a diff housing built by Overkill, buds, JMW, etc. for a passengers side drop. The Tx-10 will handle up to 35's, plenty of yanks run them in the states without too much trouble Still going to cost you at least 10K no matter how you go about it. Calmini kit will cost you at least 6K landed due to the current state of the dollar

Hmmmm good point Dilmah. I would only be running 33 inch tyres anyway as it would be mainly a tourer. Bush I would buy a patrol if I could justify the money in buying a 4.2L, every one I have seen has been pricey and they are rare. Most of the patrols being sold are the 3.0L and I am very wary of them. And I would never buy a petty cos they guzzle the fuel

I'm planning on doing the swap of the transfer case to a 2.8 one. Using patrol diffs front and rear then cutting off all the suspension off a mq/gq coil sprung and welding it to the navara chassis. So then it will be all stock looking

I too have been contemplating the idea of heading down this line with my 2013 mod. Will be watching this space!

Yeah I would be happy to have a coil shock setup just re-using all the running gear from a patrol. Problem is you basically need a donor patrol to get all the gear off which would take a fair bit of time. Plus trying to remove all the mounts without damaging them would be tricky, gotta be pretty skill with a plasma cutter to cut around curved edges, something I have no experience at haha. I imagine just cutting off all the bits you need to take a decent amount of time also.

Latest posts

Back