Greases ain't greases

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have one simple quick question but Ill be damned if I can find the answer elsewhere on the net, every second opinion I come across is different.

What grease do you use in wheel bearings for a 4wd Navara? I have been told get a bentone clay based type like castrol HTB as it deals with high heat (up to 200 deg), but then other people say get a lithium based high wheel bearing grease like this http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=15&id_subcateg=88&id_products=543 which deals with heat up to 170 Deg and has anti-washout and anti corrosion properties ideal suited to 4wds which get exposed to more water than normal cars. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to the type of grease I should actually be using? Is a lithium based NLGI 2 extreme pressure wheel beaing grease the best option because it has properties which resist water and corrosion while also being able to handle temps up to 170 deg? I mean the lithium based stuff is only rated at 30 deg less than the bentone clay based stuff.

Damn I wish I knew what I was doing haha.

Shorty

This doesn't answer your question but I will never use the Penrite wheel bearing grease again. I used the blue shyte in the van wheel bearings and it kept separating. Continually had oil all over the wheels. Didn't matter how much or how little was packed in there. Even when it was stationary in the shed, the oil would escape.

Have used Timken and Castrol with no problems.

Of course this was only my experience.

I use castrol stuff for wheel bearings. I use the HTB (yellow) for bearings, hubs and use the LMM (black) for balljoints, bushes, pins. I have also used a Red one but found it thinned out to much and just didnt provide the protection i wanted. Also used a Orange Super Tacky but dont expect to ever be able to remove it

Never had any issues.

Cheers blokes, I think Ill just stick with the castrol HTB then, it seems to be the general consensus this is the way to go with wheel bearings anyway

I use Nulon grease. Only because I trust and use all their other products in my Nav.

Cheers.

This doesn't answer your question but I will never use the Penrite wheel bearing grease again. I used the blue shyte in the van wheel bearings and it kept separating. Continually had oil all over the wheels. Didn't matter how much or how little was packed in there. Even when it was stationary in the shed, the oil would escape.

Have used Timken and Castrol with no problems.

Of course this was only my experience.

I had this happen with Mobil grease I,ve had the tubes for 15 years, so I wondered wether age played any part in it

Dave you must have bought that grease when you were a boy :wink:

A bearing shop sold me the Penrite grease when I bought bearings. Used it straight away. It might have been old stock but looked o.k. Really sticky when it started out.

Not gunna tell you the age of some stuff in my shed :eek:

Latest posts

Back