Used D-22 - opinions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biq27

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I'll preface this by saying I am not really a '4wd person', I am in fact the definition of a city dweller who has found themselves living in the country because of work. I want a vehicle that can carry 'things' and go off-road for some weekend trips (literally 'off the road', not hard core 4wding). I already have a nice new car which I drive normally, my partner and I require a second vehicle.

With that in mind, I have looked around a bit and come up with the D-22 as an option for a second vehicle.

So, this is open slather - what should I be wary of? Are there any massive pitfalls? In your experience what are the upper km I should consider buying? I have found one on carsales with a few options I would like (bullbar, roof racks etc) with 38k km and 2015 for $25k, would this be a good option (for example?)

Cheers in advance - if this is not the appropriate sub-forum to post in please let me know

They're not a bad rig.
It will do what you want and theyre pretty reliable.

The downside is theyre a bit small in the cab and dont have as many comfort features as the newer models.

They were selling for 28 grand new back in 14/15 so 25k sounds a bit steep unless it has a lot of extras.

Thanks for your reply mate, much appreciated.

Reliability is what I am after so if it ticks that box then all good, comfort isn't too important. If you think the price is a bit steep it comes with roof racks, canopy, and a bullbar. I might do some negotiation and see what I can come up with.

Cheers again

the late model d-22,s were selling for this price mentioned only if you had an ABN number, otherwise the price was over the 33k mark. redbook has current sale prices to go by.

Last edited:
I've been watching prices on 2nd hand D22's - $25K for a low K's 2015 model is good.

They went up in price in car yards when Nissan stopped selling them new.

A few 2012-13's going for $26K ATM (Adelaide)

They're a very reliable Ute, but also very basic. I like them, a lot, but they're not to everyone's taste. The ride is hard & they're quite slow off the mark. The little things like no door open lamp switches on 3 of the 4 doors make it seem a bit last century at times lol!

I should update every 3 years for tax reasons, but why bother the last real d22 came out in 2006. Everything now is getting harder to diagnose a problem or work on in the scrub, if I ever lose my present ride I'll go back to a QD32 brilliant motor with a few touches.

yes the D-22 is so basic with its factory set ups like a key without a battery [ fantastic ] slide controls for the fan / air etc [ fantastic ] front 4 x 4 hubs that you lock in yourself, no electronics [ fantastic ] this list goes on . only thing they forgot to do was to get rid of the electric windows and fit the good old reliable wind up jobs like the good old cars have. the more basic the better.

Ha perhaps they could of had the high beam switch on the floor, those that have been around would remember.

Attachments

• dimmer.jpg
    dimmer.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 98
I should update every 3 years for tax reasons, but why bother the last real d22 came out in 2006. Everything now is getting harder to diagnose a problem or work on in the scrub, if I ever lose my present ride I'll go back to a QD32 brilliant motor with a few touches.

:rock: go the mighty qd32

no the z-30 is a pig of an engine. a mate had this model navara and had so much trouble with it he got rid of the rig and bought a decent later model 2012 d-22 / 2.5 cr. he has now done over 120k since he bought it and the only issue has been a new battery and new front brakes. apparently the engine when he bought it the owner had a dual timing chain kit fitted just to play it safe. go the 2.5 litre cr .

the problem with any late model D22 is they are absolutely gutless compared to whats out there now. the YD25 is just a joke. it was a ridiculous choice of engine from day one.
chuck out that YD25 and put one of the high powered versions in. even an old QD32ti has more grunt.

btw D22's did come with wind up windows.

while i like them due to being a fairly basic workhorse, i do miss some of the newer electronics out now.
one of the problems with some later utes is they are getting big which makes them harder to maneuver.

i really don,t think there that gutless for a small 2.5 litre deisel powered vehicle.
sure 1 st gear is abit on the low ratio end and 2 nd could also be a tad higher in ratio, once your in 3rd gear and higher the 2.5 litre comes to life and does have some rather good power . lets not compare the d-22 navara to other makes of 4 x 4 utes as all the others are allmost double the price, i paid 25k for mine and the toyota 4 x 4 ute cost approx 50k. i could have bought a complete spare vehicle at those figures. i am sure if all the later d-22 2.5,s were fitted with the dual chain timing set you would see a very reliable navara.

We all know you can get that motor going well easily but Tweak is right. I'd hate to tow 2.8tonne with it though. My main concern is the oil capacity 4.3l as opposed to the D40's 6.3l. It's not enough and I insist on 5k oil changes.

Latest posts

Back