Oil catch can install. Some good info.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished my catch can and its ready for install. I have noticed that in one of the existing nissan hoses is what is refered to as a restrictor in the original nissan patrol document at the start of this thread. Can someone tell me what this does and do i need to install it in the new hoses.

thanks

Terry

no one knows why nissan have fitted the restrictor.

i pulled mine out because the can filter setup is probably enough restriction as it is.
to much restriction and it will blow oil seals.

Any one know the size of the D22 fittings or hose?

I read in here the D40 is 16mm, D22 the same?

Hi Kade,
I used 5/8 fittings on mine, as this is about the size of the fitting where it goes into the aircleaner pipe I figured all should be good.

I am going to make one of these soon and I have a dumb question. In the compartment where you put the steel wool, what stops it from sliding out the bottom?

As I assume that the steel wool does not go all the way down as there should be some space at the bottom for the excess oil to collect..is that right?

In the photos it looks like the divider only goes down about two thirds of the length and I just wanted to know what you did to stop the steel wool falling out the bottom.

Cheers.

Just a note. Make sure you use a piping that is suitable for oil. Heater hose is cheap but will break down from oil contact.

Kudu
You have probably done it by now but when I built mine I glued with araldite a piece of PVC from the out wall to the baffel wall to stop the scrubbers falling through

Kudu
You have probably done it by now but when I built mine I glued with araldite a piece of PVC from the out wall to the baffel wall to stop the scrubbers falling through

Hi,
Thanks for that. I assumed it was something simple like that. I am also making mine out of 100mm diametre Pipe. I am also making it 100mm tall rather than the 150mm tall that was shown in the beginning of this thread. My 10 year old maths says the catchment area should be the same due to the increased diameter.
Cheers.

Howdy benny , trick unit -damnit never thought of that one , watch for heat though "you could always wrap it in the adhesive heat shield wrap" if you are tight for space !
I used "stainless steel" pot scrubbers in mine -guaranteed not to brake down ,')

Guys I've bought some scotch brite heavy duty scour pads as the filter. They aren't steel though, are these the right material. Hesitant to use it is is going to break down.....

OK well I've gone the stainless scouter path. Weren't people concerned about the wires breaking down?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back