Cruise Control Intermittent [SOLVED]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All, I have searched the forum and have not been able to see any one with a similar problem.

The Cruise Control in my 2007 STX, (YD25, 6 speed manual), will only set at speeds above 80kph. It used to set at around 50 kph.

We have checked clutch and brake switches, both appear to be ok. When set at highway speeds the cruise control works perfectly. It will reset, accelerate, etc every time.

We have also tried an ecu reset, as we know the ecu is the "brains' behind the cruise control.

It's the ECU that restricts engagement of the cruise control below 40km/h (set because Australian regs require it).

I've never heard of that setting changing before, and tyre size variations couldn't account for a 100% increase in the limit unless you've fitted a set of DT806 R1Ws to your rig.

However, we've had issues with the wiring in the steering column. My own horn is intermittent when turning to the right and Nissan tell me it's something like $380 for the clock spring. Unfortunately I laughed at the guy when he told me this. I can't see how that's affected by speed though, and wonder if it's affected by gears.

Could you try putting the car into 6th at 50km/h and engage the cruise?

Thanks Tony,

Some years ago the clock spring was replaced because of an air bag related fault.

This fault arose just while driving a straight, relatively smooth section of road, when I want to set the cruise on a main street in town.

Everything else appears to be working fine. no air bag light and a fully functioning horn.

Will try to set the cruise at low speed in top gear.

Last edited:
Hi Tony, thanks again for your help.

I have been trying your suggestion. The cruise control will set in a higher gear at a lower speed. I am then able to down shift to 4th gear and resume the cruise control setting.

If I wobble the gear lever while in 4th gear the cruise control will disengage.

Is there a switch/sensor on the gearbox we should be checking??

Sounds like it is sensitive to gear position, which means it's likely the neutral detection. Gearboxes have a "neutral position switch" which on the D22 is a very common failure point.

There are two switches on the rear of the right hand side of the gearbox. The lower switch is the reverse switch and the upper switch is the neutral position switch.

Thanks again Tony.

We will have a look at the neutral switch in a few days when we get break again. I'll post how we get on.

Neutral switch for sure. Can be a bugger to replace but not impossible. If cruise control drops out when you "wiggle" the gear stick it is the switch not registering it is in gear and cancelling cruise control. Mine failed altogether and I could only engage cruise control when pushing (or pulling can't remember) on shifter.

Thanks to all.

Fitted new neutral switch today. Removed cross member under gearbox to allow better access. Local stealership had the switch on the shelf for $32.

Cruise control now works in all gears, and at low speeds.

Latest posts

Back