Getting the timing chain fixed, anything else?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoNav

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not even a Navara owner yet but need some advice so I can be!
The guy I am buying a 2007 D40 ST-X petrol manual (96000km) from has dropped the ute into a Nissan dealership to get a whine fixed before I buy it; it was identified in a pre-purchase inspection.
He said after Nissan pulled the engine apart they determined that the timing chain needed repair/replacing amongst a few other things.
From my past vehicle experience it's usual to replace the water pump when you do the timing belt as one needs to come off to get to the other. Should I be asking them to look at anything else while the repairs are being done, like the water pump? I would offer to pay for anything on top of the agreed repairs of course.
Simon

Might as well do the pump while there in there. I dunno what the cost of a new pump is but the labor to replace one at a guess would add up to far more that the price of the pump.

BTW welcome to the forum mate.

You can do the water pump but they aren't a common failure point. Once done (if done properly), you could probably forget it for a good long time. Hoses and the serpentine belt can be done at any time.

With a vehicle that old, you might consider checking the vacuum hosing that runs from the pump on the right hand side to the top of the turbocharger actuator on the left hand side. Any hose that easily turns on the connector, is hard or has obvious signs of damage should be replaced. Again, not necessary to do that right now, they're easy to get to, but once they're about 2-3 years old the vacuum hoses sometimes perish and the turbo doesn't function as well as it once did.

And yes, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the advice but the vehicle does not have a turbo.
I will check all the hoses in the bay when I pick her up regardless.

Been here before. They ll need to replace both secondary timing chain tensioners as this the cause of the whine. get them to replace the primary chain and both secondary chains while theyre in there. I was quoted 3800 to just do tensioners which are 100 odd a set. This is a common issue in the VQ40 in the states. Nissan Australia told me mine was the first theyd heard of in Aus, yet Nissan US released a TSB regarding this issue and sent out some specially made tools to aid in the repair. Heres a link to a thread on clubfrontier.org which includes the TSB PDF. Show the repairer this.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/vq-engine-secondary-timing-chain-noise-revised-tsb-s-52945/

Latest posts

Back