After 2yrs my thoughts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brebel

Reaction score
MY15 NP300 STX things that still shit me, no outside temp display, steering wheel, sun reflection on chrome on t bar, warning chimes, cant lock doors if not in park, having to press agree every time with sat nav, seat heaters turn off when on, but most of all the engine sounds awful, is weak, cant tow for shit, and the auto gearbox is horribly programmed and very frustrating to live with. I will never get anything less than a 3 litre v6 in future as i just bought a V6 diesel Grand Cherokee and OMG there is no comparison so much torque. Maybe the upcoming X series Mercedes with V6 will cure all the negative things and keep the good things the NP300 has, such as sunroof rear opening window and coil springs (good when sorted).

Didn't you take one for a test drive first. Most of your issues you would have noticed before you bought it?
I know a few people that own them, and their only complaints have been the soft rear end!

a mate has the same model stx and he says its excellent in both driving and power. he just spent another 5k plus on aftermarket big wheels and 6 inch raised suspension for off road use., looks very nice i must say.

Didn't you take one for a test drive first. Most of your issues you would have noticed before you bought it?
I know a few people that own them, and their only complaints have been the soft rear end!

A test drive isnt enough, you got to live with it,

a mate has the same model stx and he says its excellent in both driving and power. he just spent another 5k plus on aftermarket big wheels and 6 inch raised suspension for off road use., looks very nice i must say.

Slowing down to 60kph up a hill in a 110 zone while towing a caravan or boat isn't my cup of tea, the Grand Cherokee can do it at 110kph if I wanted it to.

couple of things to keep in mind.
a lot of the suv have far more powerful engines than the utes. even when its the same engine, the utes are always detuned. likewise when you compare car engines to suv, suv's are always detuned. the heavier the vehicle the lower the power the engine is.

the other thing is bigger engine, bigger drive train all means more weight, need stronger parts which means everything gets bigger. you might as well go buy a yank tank.
make the navara more powerful and built to handle it, you end up with a nissan titan.

sounds like a turbo setting issue to me. i towed a car on a car tralier for over 100 klms up and down slight hills ect all with my 2.5 litre d-22. the np,s would have alot more power than a d-22.

I am a bit perplexed as well. I tow a 2.5 tonne van quite often and have no issues with power, in fact it surprises me how well it handles the hills. I've only blocked the EGR, I have not felt the need for a tune. I still get good economy over long distances, around 12.3 or so with well over 4,000lkm on our last trip. The best bit, I don't have to worry about it breaking down like a Jeep hahaha.

Can't compare a Jeep with a Navara when looking for a tow vehicle. There's a 30kw advantage to the Jeep on paper before you even think about a test drive. For what they are, and what they have under the bonnet, everyone i know that has one is happy with it's performance!

Slowing down to 60kph up a hill in a 110 zone while towing a caravan or boat isn't my cup of tea, the Grand Cherokee can do it at 110kph if I wanted it to.

Mate, not quite sure what your complaint is? I have D22 that can & does tow a caravan uphill at 110kmh in a 110kmh zone, no dramas. A D23 driven properly would do it much easier.

Jeep GC?? No thanks, I go remote! I want to get home safely!

Not sure if it makes any difference but I have a 2016 ST-N sport manual, it is my work ute and I tow at least 4 times a week with constant 700kg's in my trailer and when full it is double that and that is at least once a week and I always keep the tub fully loaded and I have no issues with it towing up or down hills.

MY15 NP300 STX things that still shit me, no outside temp display, steering wheel, sun reflection on chrome on t bar, warning chimes, cant lock doors if not in park, having to press agree every time with sat nav, seat heaters turn off when on, but most of all the engine sounds awful, is weak, cant tow for shit, and the auto gearbox is horribly programmed and very frustrating to live with. I will never get anything less than a 3 litre v6 in future as i just bought a V6 diesel Grand Cherokee and OMG there is no comparison so much torque. Maybe the upcoming X series Mercedes with V6 will cure all the negative things and keep the good things the NP300 has, such as sunroof rear opening window and coil springs (good when sorted).
Im due to upgrade my STX550 this September. Finding it very hard to find another truck as good to drive. I have all mods and enjoy it every time i start it up.
Only other v6 at this stage is a amarok which suites me as i don't 4wd.

Cant really beat the stx550 with any current ute

Spainbuilt D40s handle,steer and ride better than any other ute

And the 3 litre v6 in the 550 is amazing

Cant really beat the stx550 with any current ute

Spainbuilt D40s handle,steer and ride better than any other ute

And the 3 litre v6 in the 550 is amazing

Let's not get carried away mate!

No offence meant, but out in the sticks, I see very few D40's.

Hiluxes, Rangers, BT50's, Landcruiser 70's, Patrol coil cabs, D Max rule the roost. Even my old D22 rarely sees another D22 & we get around a bit.

Landcruisers, Patrols and Pajeros outnumber the Utes easily.

You are partly right Kevin, our last rip right out far western NSW and QLD all the cockies either have a Cruiser tray back or a Hilux, you don't see too much else where the tourists don't go, in fact you don't see much of anything.

Mate, not quite sure what your complaint is? I have D22 that can & does tow a caravan uphill at 110kmh in a 110kmh zone, no dramas. A D23 driven properly would do it much easier.

Jeep GC?? No thanks, I go remote! I want to get home safely!

Bullshit

a lot of the suv have far more powerful engines than the utes. even when its the same engine, the utes are always detuned. likewise when you compare car engines to suv, suv's are always detuned. the heavier the vehicle the lower the power the engine is.

the other thing is bigger engine, bigger drive train all means more weight, need stronger parts which means everything gets bigger. you might as well go buy a yank tank.
make the navara more powerful and built to handle it, you end up with a nissan titan.

Umm Navara 550, AmarokV6, and upcoming X series V6 have bigger engines and more power, they dont need to be like a Nissan Titan in size. Ssome Amaroks have been fitted with with their 4.2L V8, they can handle it.

Umm Navara 550, AmarokV6, and upcoming X series V6 have bigger engines and more power, they dont need to be like a Nissan Titan in size. Ssome Amaroks have been fitted with with their 4.2L V8, they can handle it.

I am a bit perplexed as well. I tow a 2.5 tonne van quite often and have no issues with power, in fact it surprises me how well it handles the hills. I've only blocked the EGR, I have not felt the need for a tune. I still get good economy over long distances, around 12.3 or so with well over 4,000lkm on our last trip. The best bit, I don't have to worry about it breaking down like a Jeep hahaha.

Mate, its too gutless standard, so I had it fitted with a Unichip, it went much better, then I hooked a caravan to it, first time under load on a hill it rejected the chip and went into limp mode, it did it twice, my tumer thinks they fixed it, I havent tested it out yet, im worried it will do it again, I m done, nothing less then a 3L 6cyl from now on.

Last edited:
its not about if they can handle it. they all handle it because they are built to handle it.
but they are all bigger and heavier.
even the ford ranger is bigger and heavier than the D23.

Latest posts

Back