Best A/T's or M/T's for Snow and Ice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageSTX550

Reaction score
So my d22 will be used a lot in the snow season, so it will encounter extremely icey roads and snow 4wd'ing every now and then. I need a tire that goes well offroad in all conditions(aswell as the extreme offroading I can take the d22 on!), aswell as being tame in the wet and grippy on ice and snow.
For this dilema, I am wondering if there are any M/T's that are decent in the ice?

All I have read is that if you want ice traction, A/T's are the way to go.
I have been looking at Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, which are A/T's as people over in the states seem to have good results with them in the ice and snow, and they have very good siping. But I have read there are concerns with their weak sidewalls for serious offroading.

The issue is I am really after M/T's as I would love the extra offroad traction and mud/clay traction. I've used mud tires in the past and I will never go back.

Size I am looking at is 265/75r16 for a 2015 d22.

Currently looking at the Goodyear wrangler MT-R with Kevlar. Decided that if these don't cut it in the ice then I may just swap to some winter tires in the winter.

Actually never used them. Will be running them shortly if the bfg KO2 isn't what they say it is(just been released) which is another snow rated tire that might be of interest too you.

Rusty

Yeah we currently have the ko1 on our forester, does great, we just want something more for mud on this car.

I've had Dick Cepek FCII on both my D40's except in 33's. Love them, they are a hybrid tyre part A/T part M/T. They are a bit noisier then most A/T's but thats cause of the thicker tread. Handle good on road never had any issues with grip. Handle really well offroad, have been in some really wet shit with them and guys with M/T's.

Last edited:
I dont know much about driving on ice and snow, but some tyres come with provision to screw spikes in. At least i know my Cooper Max did.

Yeah, sadly Studs aren't legal in Australia, and I only need the tires to do well in ice when it's icey!
Will pop into my local tyrepower, see what they reccomend
Will ask about the dick cepeks

I live in Jindabyne and work at Perisher and also own a vehicle in Japan (fitted with winter tyres) - I guess that means I can comment on this?

THe best tyres in snow and ice are soft. Mud tyres work well in slushy, wet snow as they will push it out like mud. Long lasting tyres tend to grip well when new when they are working on the softer rubber but will get slippery when down about 1/2 way and onto the harder rubber.

I have used Kumho mud tyres (the directional ones) and they were really good but only good for about 30,000 ks.

Any open tread tyre in good condition will work OK but you need to drive to the conditions and be ready to put it into 4wd early. Just because you have 4wd you not invincible.

It would be great to get decent snow tyres in Australia but the ones that come in a expensive.

Thanks for the reply ozsnow, great advice. I will be going to to tyrepower to see Ian tomorrow to get some prices and see his reccomendations
Your d40 is very similar to ours, haven't seen u around town before!

Last edited:
So in chats with bfg as I went and Saw the bfg ko2 in the flesh. Tread design was very good and chunky, but the only thing that caught me by surprise was how softy the tread compound was. Felt to me like a really cheap mud tire. Bfg state a 15% increase in mileage and less wear when touring on rock,shake etc. Still awaiting a response from the engineer as to why the compound is so soft.

Looks like the dick crown fun country will be on my rims soon.

Rusty

Hm sounds interesting!
Currently getting a quote on Maxxis Bighorns, I may have overstepped into mud terrain territory! :)

I feel bighorns got a bit pricy for what they do..first set cost me $250 per 285x75x16....second set was quoted at $300per tyre..got 45tho from the first set. Decent tyre but not for $300...just my thoughts

Was your 2nd set the second version? The 764? That could be the price increase. apparently they are meant to be an awesome improvement over the 762 model.

1st set was 762....and you could be right on the 764s for the price on the second set...i actually never asked...i ended up with some angry looking silverstone muddies for $245 fitted from bob jane.cant complain so far.

Latest posts

Back