lets talk suspension.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walking back

Reaction score
g day lads( & ladettes )

ive concidered my suspension needs and have decided the wound up torsion bars are the way to go , as i just can't justify the coin on heavy duty bars. im also looking at ome nitrocharger shocks on all corners, and an emu dakkar leaf kit to upgrade my stock springs.

my questions for all to ponder with me are:

is anyone running a similar/ identicle setup?

whats it like on the long hauls?(although most of my play is in the bush up in the topend, i do a darwin to perth trip once a year, and wanna know how the kit travels?)

and lastly what kind of tyre sizes are people working with after their lifts?

cheers all.

I have basically what you are saying, front is just wound up with pedders shocks, rear is 2" lifted springs (not sure on brand as they came off my wreck) with still the std nissan shocks (horrible) it rides great now and is very basic due to me still trying to put it on a gq chassis asap. long trip and short trips it is still great although as mentioned i should get new rear shocks. im running cooper stt 265/75 r16 tyres on the std rims with no scrubbing, i did have to trim the inner edge of the front mudflaps.

cheers mark.

Last edited:
cheers mud4b, how did you go with the tension bars, did they give you any grief?

No it is very easy to do, i did wind them a little too far at first and the upper arm was sitting on the bump stop, it was very harsh, now it sits around 5mm off it and its great. apparently 10mm is better though.

cheers mark

No it is very easy to do, i did wind them a little too far at first and the upper arm was sitting on the bump stop, it was very harsh, now it sits around 5mm off it and its great. apparently 10mm is better though.

cheers mark

tweak,e makes mention of having to remove the bars and adjust the notches?? any thourghts on this?

for 2-3" lift on stock torsion's you need to pop the bar out and turn it around 6 notches i think it is. that way its at roughly the right height with a fair bit of adjustment left on the adjusters.
try not to have the adjusters hanging below the chassis when its finished otherwise they will simply get hit.

tweak,e makes mention of having to remove the bars and adjust the notches?? any thourghts on this?

I did not do this but my adjusters only just sit out the bottom by like 3mm.. as tweak'e said it is better to turn them a few notches.

cheers mark.

just a thourght ive been pondering, has anyone thought to trim 5mm off the top bump stop to gain bakc a bit more downward travell when the bars have been wound up.

let me know what you think

hey walking back yeah shaving a few mill off the bump works a treat, allows you to wing the bars up just that little bit more giving you a little bit more lift. sorry to jack the tread mate, just got a quick one. guys can the standard torsion bars take the weight of a steel bar and winch or do they have to be replaced for this mod. cheers

Matty

guys can the standard torsion bars take the weight of a steel bar and winch or do they have to be replaced for this mod. cheers

Matty

Well, they're not going to shear. Budget for HD torsions but don't buy, install the steel bar and winch, then see if you're uncomfortable with the ride. If it's too bouncy for you or you hit the bumpstops on the rough stuff, go the HD torsions. It's a matter of personal preference.

Well, they're not going to shear. Budget for HD torsions but don't buy, install the steel bar and winch, then see if you're uncomfortable with the ride. If it's too bouncy for you or you hit the bumpstops on the rough stuff, go the HD torsions. It's a matter of personal preference.

ok so it all depends on the final set up i choose and if the stock torsion bars ride smooth enough. but if i do run into problems the after market bars should take the weight better and ride smoother right ?

Matty

Spot on. Obviously woznme has been down this path already and doesn't like the ride with the extra weight on the stock bars, so it's likely you won't either, but it's not an absolute necessity.

just finished winding my bars up and i must say she looks beautiful with her nose in the air, staring you in the face and not looking down shyly, time to replace those back springs now and get that back end up.

cheers for your help.

walking back.

ive got a ironman 2'' kit Nitro gas and its mad as. Do you guys know if exteneded shackles give more lift

ive got a ironman 2'' kit Nitro gas and its mad as. Do you guys know if exteneded shackles give more lift

extended shackles do give more lift..... however as the D22 rear springs are as soft as butter replaceing/fixing rear springs is a better optoin. if you have allready done that and want to go higher, then sure extended shackles will do that.

Back