Quick day trip nth nsw

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smarto

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a few picks from a quick trip my mate and I did today out in bungabee state forest near Lismore/Kyogle in NSW. It's only a small state Forrest but it's hilly and after rain it is fairly challenging and some of the tracks become a no go.

My mate runs a kitted out triton with front and rear lockers/33's etc whilst I have a 2 inch lift and half worn standard size all terrains. I went everywhere he did and only got bogged once in a deep hole . He reckons he would have got stuck there also. He was impressed with the navara and surprised I didn't get stuck more.

However it made me now want lockers and was not sure what to get. Don't know if I want to spend the big bucks on air lockers so was maybe thinking a lokka in the front and not sure about the rear. It felt like the LSD wasn't working properly for my liking. Thoughts?? Anyway here are the picks and a few videos. It's steeper than what it looks!!https://vimeo.com/146096194https://vimeo.com/146096300 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447840235.264112.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447840261.214512.jpghttps://vimeo.com/146096108

The rear lsd is very good once you know how to work it, if your off road work involves picking up wheels the front locker is the way to go. There has been a few blown diffs is those running the cheaper auto Lokka, remember it is locked all the time apart from when you turn when it disengages. Your better choice would be an e/lokker or air operated, that way you can use it only when you need it. But for the coin ask yourself how often would that be?.

The rear lsd is very good once you know how to work it, if your off road work involves picking up wheels the front locker is the way to go. There has been a few blown diffs is those running the cheaper auto Lokka, remember it is locked all the time apart from when you turn when it disengages. Your better choice would be an e/lokker or air operated, that way you can use it only when you need it. But for the coin ask yourself how often would that be?.

Completely agree with the rear E-locker happy John

But a manual locker in the front is the way to go also...

Cannot believe the way it has transformed my 4x4 (Front manual locker)..

Glad you had fun!

The trick with the LSD is to use the handbrake - partly pulling the handbrake on will cause the diff to transfer more power to both wheels (even though they're fighting the brake). It means that you will get much more mileage from installing a front locker (either e- or air-) than going for a rear first. Plus, the front diff is quite weak - spinning a front wheel and dropping it on the dirt can cause all sorts of damage up front, we've had members with snapped axles, diffs blown open, snapped-off spider gears - the locker mostly prevents that.

E or Air? It's been argued a LOT for a long time. Which is better? My answer is simple. If you do NOT yet have a decent air compressor on board, the air lockers are better because you get a great air compressor installed in the vehicle. Otherwise - if you already own a good air compressor - get the e-locker.

I use an unusual tactic when in a bogged situation if no forward traction is possible and back is no good I gently ride the clutch with my left foot then with my right foot I use my heel on the brake and accelerate with my toes. It locks all wheels and if there is traction out I go.:redcool:

So do you have anything in in the rear aswell?? I don't push to hard when on tracks and was thinking the front lokka would help just that little bit more.

Also I now have a knock/thud coming through the drivers side front foot well when Corning hard to the left and hitting a bump or lumpy bit of road. Like something hitting the undercarriage of the car. Wasn't there before the outing. All the Google and forum research I've done leads me to think body mounts. However didn't think it would just start like it has. Can replicate it every time the front right suspension is compressed and Corning to the left fairly hard. Going to have a look later today

Last edited:
You will have a buggered body mount for sure mate, mine was like a jackhammer pounding the footwell towards the end.

Hope that's all it is. From the quick checks I have done, all the suspension looks okay still. All the body mounts run off the chassis rails on brackets don't they? How many in total? Don't want to miss any..... On a side note it's already 30 outside and only going to get hotter not looking forward to working on the car on that heat!!

Well I just finished playing with the body mounts. I loosened, greased and retightened the two front ones in the wheel arches. Pulled up the carpet, broke both the plastic covers over the bolt heads and tightened both the ones in the front drivers and passenger footwell. Went to tighten the next one along on the passenger side and snapped the bolt off in the captive nut.... Bugger.

I must say they were all bloody tight to begin with and all the rubbers looked the goods, so it got me thinking it might not be the problem. I had both front wheels off so I took off the rubber splash guards and started using a big screw driver as a pry bar and started testing all bushes and anything that looked like it could move. All seemed okay to me, a little movement but not excessive and nothing loose.

Hmmm I'm sitting there sweating profusely in the sun and happen to look down along my sway bar and see this little bugger just sitting there between the sway bar and the factory bash plate.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448068733.524672.jpg

It wasn't jammed in or anything but had marks on it like it had been stuck previously. Pulled it out and threw it in the garden. Couldn't find anything else that could possibly be the problem so I put the wheels back on and went for a spin.. Low and behold the thud/clunking is gone!!! Was it the rock or the body mounts? I guess I will never know, only time will tell and see if the noise will come back..

Now to drill out that snapped bolt thread and replace all bolts with high tensile ones....

Good find!, I had a rock in the exact same spot about 2 years ago. Hopefully your body mounts are ok, strange the thumping was when turning left that is normally the tell tale sign of rooted mounts.

Good find!, I had a rock in the exact same spot about 2 years ago. Hopefully your body mounts are ok, strange the thumping was when turning left that is normally the tell tale sign of rooted mounts.

Could have been the mounts. Won't know as I pulled the wheel arch ones out and greased them up, also tightened the next ones back at the same time I took the rock out. Maybe a bit of both.

hahahahaha!
How it has transformed it?? you never use it!!

Latest posts

Back