DIY Timing Chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put in the yd25.com kit recently. The parts in the are very nicely machined. You get a genuine Nissan top duplex chain two genuine chain tensioners and new guides all round. For the bottom you get a German made duplex chain and yd25 duel row sprockets for the crank, vac pump and fuel pump. The instructions Paul send are very good and you can call him if you run into any problems. It took my mate and I about 20hrs to do the job taking our time (we could do it in a day it we pulled our fingers out). Also I believe with other kits you have to do some work to the vacuum pump to convert to duel row whereas the yd25.com one is a straight swap. When you order the kit though yd25.com you can also hire the tools required for locking the crank and the puller for the harmonic balancer. I can't recommend the yd25.com kit highly enough. Even though it is a little expensive I think the piece of mind is well worth the cost.

Hi guys, had my Navara since new in 2008, and has done 194,000 km. It has broken the primary chain while driving at about 70kmh, and I'm in the process of stripping the engine to check that it hasn't bent valves or done other damage. Any tips on getting the intake side stripped without taking everything apart? And which chain kit would be the best to install?

If your gonna rebuild and keep her...the yd25.com.au is probably the only one on the market that someone has put some thought and testing into it.the others are just replacement parts....
Really the same goes for selling it...yd25 dual row kit is a great selling point.
Did you have any warning signs....ie..cold start rattle? Or a chain noise when warm that you never addressed?

Love my hand grenade ZD30!

At least when it goes I can't say I was surprised.

Last edited:
Its the Spain ones that just let go... The Thai ones (well atleast the 2011 model like mine) has it programmed into the computer that yes once the chain is reached its life it will stall on cold start. So ive been told......

What KMs you got now? Ive got 115tho on my 08 KC...only thing i ever heard was the cold start rattle when i fitted a ryco oil filter...never again!

What KMs you got now? Ive got 115tho on my 08 KC...only thing i ever heard was the cold start rattle when i fitted a ryco oil filter...never again!

2011 st 6 speed. 101000 Ks i drive to work 50ks each way its all freeway my car has only done freeway Ks. IM original owner and only ever used genuine parts and castrol oil ����

have a question regarding the balance shaft unit. followed the instructions here, and removed everything, but managed to move the balance gear around about the distance of 2 teeth,
move it back to were it was, and i have a piece of wire going through the gears, but everything I read says don't move the gears. should I panic, or is there a way to check the balance timing after I have it all back together?
Thanks

I just replaced cylinder head & new timing chain for my son's STX D40 07 last week, i removed balance gear then heart the outer gear of balance shaft moving when balance gear out, because i did not use piece of wire to lock it, i used big flat screwdriver get them back together then use heavy wire bend 90 degrees locked through outer gear & balance shaft gear together, then turn balance shaft to met the marks as on the manual. After put them back together, make sure you turn the crankshaft a few turn full circle make sure they do not stuck and check all the timing marks.....

the majority of time its the Timing Cain Tensioner that needs replacing not the actuall chain. when this tensioner loses its compression to hold tension on the chain, you will get a rattly chain thinking its the chain about to snap but its not that atall. a mate just recently had his chain guides / tensioner inspected as he had a rattly chain and sure enough after some correct measuring of chain links and the tensioner, it was found that on the chain guides and the hydraulic tensioner needed replacement. the total cost of this minor repair was nothing like the full chain replacement, so watch out for the boag mechanics out there that say yes you need a new chain where you reaqlly don,t. this is not always correct but the chain does need inspecting and measuring before they say the bad word [ replacement ]

D.i.y.

A good mechanic, is a good Memory, good Photo's and a written Memory or
notes to boost your memory when rebuilding any Project, unless you have done this many times before so, take your time, and photo the job from all angles, and
asking questions is always good, and a Phone Number of a Forum Mate who
knows the Job is always good for a quick inquiry as well instead of having to await
for answers from the Forums!

Good luck with the job,
highway man!:deadhorse2:

I guess a timing chain is luck of the draw really. Change it or do t change it... It breaks or it lasts...... IM doing mine one day for peace of mind i guess, maybe say 120000/140000.. With the yd2.5.com.au kit.

I agree, im going to use the yd25.com kit too. Just bought it off the lubeup.com.au website.

Im glad I found this topic. Does anyone know what the cause of the rattling noise?
I have a Navara YD25 2.5 dci and I noticed a weird noise on startup. It takes only couple seconds but Im concerned.
Is it something that could be a stretched timing chain? I found here plenty of useful info but I would like to make sure that my assumption is right. I have 125K on the clock.

its probably not the timing chain causing this quick rattle on start up, i just can,t think of what guys have said this issue is but don,t be too concerned as yet . someone will surely reply asap with good news for you.

Latest posts

Back