Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Electrical

Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Thanks heaps for the help guys, I have sent this thread a bit off topic but I think there is plenty of good info in here for people anyway.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt76 View Post
Yeah I am going to put a Ctek on my christmas list I think. They won't overcharge a fully sealed AGM will they?
No it will be fine, a battery will only ever pulll the current it requires to be charged.

I got my CTek from ebay, much cheaper.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

My Mood:
Garage

Ok then.
All of that battery geekery aside then......
Yesterday I had reason to remove the LH side battery and found that there is some sort of "smart" device installed from factory. How do I know? I am hypothesising but
1. With the LH / secondary battery removed the vehicle still has 12v power. Thats nothing spectacular you say because they are wired parallel.....
but
2. If they were indeed in true parallel then the positive cable of the secondary battery would still be live. With the battery removed I put the multimeter across the disconnected +ive cable and ground and got zero. I then grounded the the disconnected cable and nothing. I didn't try this with the engine running but something tells me that these 2 batteries already run some sort of splitting device.
Further investigation required but I am starting to believe that Nissan have actually installed a secondary battery rather than just 2 cranking bats in parallel.

Discuss

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully you have some type of smart isolator, it could just be an isolator though.

By smart isolator I mean that it senses voltage levels and cuts in and out at set voltages to maintain a charged 'main' battery, by just an isolator it may cut out when sensing no battery connected.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM

My Mood:
Garage

But isn't that the job of a dual battery management system? To do exactly as you described. Ensure that the Main battery maintains voltage to be able keep the vehicle mobile while the secondary can be drained and then replenished by the charging system after the Main has had its fill?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, but that's not the difference I mean. I have a redarc smart isolator, if I disconnect the secondary battery the relay will still close and supply power from the main battery if the main bettery's voltage is above the cutout voltage. ie. it will be live and arc out.

You are saying you disconnected the secondary battery and the cable from the main battery was no longer live. This tells me it may just be an isolator that recognises there is no battery and opens the circuit, purely for safety and to stop it arcing.

Clear as mud?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Garage

I may have missed something here, but are we saying that D22's come with a dual battery setup standard? I pick my D22 ST-R up tomorrow, however I have never looked at one up close nor test driven one. If it has a stock dual battery setup stock, that would be superb :)

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIR35 View Post
I may have missed something here, but are we saying that D22's come with a dual battery setup standard? I pick my D22 ST-R up tomorrow, however I have never looked at one up close nor test driven one. If it has a stock dual battery setup stock, that would be superb :)
Yes .
Pop the bonnet and find 2 batteries. How they are setup is under debate.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

The 09 ones come with two cranking batteries, the change occured when they moved them to the Thai manufacturing plant. The tailgate also changed (flat, no lines) and the tray is now 90mm longer.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yes, but that's not the difference I mean. I have a redarc smart isolator, if I disconnect the secondary battery the relay will still close and supply power from the main battery if the main bettery's voltage is above the cutout voltage. ie. it will be live and arc out.

You are saying you disconnected the secondary battery and the cable from the main battery was no longer live. This tells me it may just be an isolator that recognises there is no battery and opens the circuit, purely for safety and to stop it arcing.

Clear as mud?
Yes Mud it is.
I disconnected what would be the secondary battery (LH / passenger side) all major bits and pieces are attached to the other on the driver side / RH. When I checked to see if they were in parallel and it would seem with the ignition off that the 2 batteries are split. Your arse about with my original description.