Google Maps on Standard Nissan Head Unit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloggy

Reaction score
Has anyone on here got Google Maps running on their standard Nissan navigation head unit?
It is possible for not that much money really. I've been looking at the options and it appears entirely possible to have an Android interface including touch screen control using the standard Nissan display.

nissan_navara_2.jpg

The first bit of hardware required would be a video interface unit available from Car Solutions for US $190.00

GVIF-Interface-for-Lexus-Toyota-Land-Rover-Nissan-Jaguar.jpg

To connect this unit we also need an interface cable available from Car Solutions for US $20.00 which will splice the video interface in between the stock head unit and stock display screen.
Using a WiFi mirror box connected to the video interface will allow an Android phone to be wirelessly connected and it's screen mirrored on the stock display screen. Available from about US $35.00 when shopping around.

images

Then to use the original touch screen to control the Android phone this little Australian made gadget is needed from Customgadz for US $149.00

rear_mimics_800x800.jpg

All up cost of hardware required around US $400.00 plus a bit of shipping to get your Android phone to display on your car screen and be controlled from your car screen. Giving the advantage of always up to date Google Maps and any other Android apps you would like to use.

Seems pretty simple. Or am I missing something?

Wow. That's interesting, so you should be able to use the Hema maps app as well. I have a d22 with an old school stereo so I put in an android head unit, I will have a look for the link. There are a couple of manufacturer's that make a swap out replacement android unit that would likely be cheaper, though I imagine you would lose the other functions. Perhaps an obd plug and the torque app would regain that functionality

Wow. That's interesting, so you should be able to use the Hema maps app as well. I have a d22 with an old school stereo so I put in an android head unit, I will have a look for the link. There are a couple of manufacturer's that make a swap out replacement android unit that would likely be cheaper, though I imagine you would lose the other functions. Perhaps an obd plug and the torque app would regain that functionality
The swap out replacement double din units won't work in my case as they won't fit in the dash. And I rather like the other functions the current set up provides such as the climate control and trip computer as well as the (in my case anyway) best audio set-up I have ever had in a vehicle. (Bose system)
When I bought this vehicle I thought upgrading the maps in the navigation unit would be a simple and straight forward process. Not so. But Google maps provides pretty good directions and clear instructions and by the sounds of it will be much better than the Nissan supplied maps.
If I do go with this set up I probably will just get the video interface and wifi mirror box. The touch screen controller is not necessary and could be installed at a later date if wanted. I already have the Torque app and OBD2 module so that would make for a nice set up on the display screen when not using navigation to display boost and fuel pressure or something similar.

With the last Black Friday sale, I bought the video interface, cable and mirrorlink box as outlined in my original post. As supplied, the video interface didn't work but with a bit of guidance from the guys at Car Solutions and swapping some wires around in the plugs on the back of the screen it now works.
I don't have the box yet to control my smart phone from the touch screen fitted to the Navara but that will come next. I wanted to make sure this set up worked first. And it works very well.
I've got an app on my phone called Tasker which allows the phone to be automated. So now as soon as the phone detects the cars bluetooth signal when the ignition is turned on, the phone activates Wifi to connect to the mirrorlink box, activates Smart View (screen mirroring app on Samsung phone), automatically connects, launches Google Maps, forces Google Maps into landscape mode and dims the phone screen.
A little momentary button allows switching between the OEM screen and Google Maps or any other app on the phone. Sound from Google Maps or the phone is played through the car speakers in auxiliary mode.
The reversing camera still works whether Google Maps is on screen or the OEM screen is displayed. The screen still dims into night mode if the headlights are turned on. Phone calls can still be made using bluetooth through the car's head unit.
And the Tasker app is programmed to return the phone to normal settings as soon as the ignition is turned off and bluetooth lost.
Definitely a better alternative to original outdated Nissan maps at roughly the same cost.

With the last Black Friday sale, I bought the video interface, cable and mirrorlink box as outlined in my original post. As supplied, the video interface didn't work but with a bit of guidance from the guys at Car Solutions and swapping some wires around in the plugs on the back of the screen it now works.
I don't have the box yet to control my smart phone from the touch screen fitted to the Navara but that will come next. I wanted to make sure this set up worked first. And it works very well.
I've got an app on my phone called Tasker which allows the phone to be automated. So now as soon as the phone detects the cars bluetooth signal when the ignition is turned on, the phone activates Wifi to connect to the mirrorlink box, activates Smart View (screen mirroring app on Samsung phone), automatically connects, launches Google Maps, forces Google Maps into landscape mode and dims the phone screen.
A little momentary button allows switching between the OEM screen and Google Maps or any other app on the phone. Sound from Google Maps or the phone is played through the car speakers in auxiliary mode.
The reversing camera still works whether Google Maps is on screen or the OEM screen is displayed. The screen still dims into night mode if the headlights are turned on. Phone calls can still be made using bluetooth through the car's head unit.
And the Tasker app is programmed to return the phone to normal settings as soon as the ignition is turned off and bluetooth lost.
Definitely a better alternative to original outdated Nissan maps at roughly the same cost.

If be very interested to hear a little more info on how it works out.
I have the same setup and although I have made do with the way it is, it sounds tempting to give this new way a go.
Some more photos would be excellent

It's quite an expense but if it seamlessly connects in both directions it's worth it. I would consider a different navigation package than Google. Sure, use Google Maps now and again, but be aware that if you lose internet connectivity and are going somewhere outside the app's cache (which is usually limited to the route you chose) then Google won't be able to help you.

We use Google maps ourselves, but have backups - Tom Tom (3 year sub) and OsmAnd+ as well. Osm is a little clunky but has some 4WD tracks and is driven by Open Street Maps (not Google maps). Both of the latter apps are "offline navigation" tools.

Google Maps now and again, but be aware that if you lose internet connectivity and are going somewhere outside the app's cache (which is usually limited to the route you chose) then Google won't be able to help you.

You can download off-line maps. I have messed around with it a bit but mostly use it online.
It doesn't give you live traffic feeds and sometimes the ETA is off and the few other online goodies don't work but as a backup, I don't have a big problem with it.
If you plan to go 'offgrid' you could always download the maps beforehand?
95% off the time Google maps (for me) is flawless

Really like the idea of even having torque work onscreen, would be great
Oh and then there's checking tracebook at every red light holding everyone up cause it should then be legal?:rofl2::deadhorse2:

You can download off-line maps. I have messed around with it a bit but mostly use it online.
It doesn't give you live traffic feeds and sometimes the ETA is off and the few other online goodies don't work but as a backup, I don't have a big problem with it.
If you plan to go 'offgrid' you could always download the maps beforehand?
95% off the time Google maps (for me) is flawless

Really like the idea of even having torque work onscreen, would be great
Oh and then there's checking tracebook at every red light holding everyone up cause it should then be legal?:rofl2::deadhorse2:

:rofl2: absolutely.

The problem (without a backup navigation tool) is when you're "out there somewhere" and decided to make another detour, perhaps because of an equipment failure or some sudden need.

Otherwise, Google Map routes are good, and have a decent "life expectancy". I find the routing is pretty good too, the fact that I can organise the route on my computer and send it to my phone is brilliant.

I've uploaded a short video to Youtube showing this in action.
https://youtu.be/qTp37OWOT3g
Minus the Mimics G4 box as I haven't purchase that yet. As mentioned, Google Maps will work offline, just got to cache the maps. I also have OSM maps loaded as well as topographic maps. Both of which are available offline as well. The cool thing about Google Maps is that they are free, pretty much up to date, the navigation side and instructions generally work very well, and you don't need to type in the address you are looking for. Saying the command "OK Google" wakes the phone up and you can tell it to start navigating and where you want to go.

Latest posts

Back