whine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think that could be it! My tailshaft has a fair bit of movement in it. I'll replace the centre bearing and see what happens

I had my centre bearing done last week as the rubber was chewed away. Mechanic replaced it then I had a whining noise at low speeds, took it back and they didnt fit it correctly (missing a spacer so it rubbed). They fiited a new one the other day and on my way to work I had a different noise that was much louder. Had another mechanic look at it and said they bent the join where the tailshaft joins the gearbox. I was rather pissed off so just be careful when you replace it

I had my centre bearing done last week as the rubber was chewed away. Mechanic replaced it then I had a whining noise at low speeds, took it back and they didnt fit it correctly (missing a spacer so it rubbed). They fiited a new one the other day and on my way to work I had a different noise that was much louder. Had another mechanic look at it and said they bent the join where the tailshaft joins the gearbox. I was rather pissed off so just be careful when you replace it

Oh god what a pain in the ass. Can i ask how much they charged to do it? Was thinking of pulling the tail shaft out myself and taking it to a mechanic to replace the centre bearing then putting it back together to save some coin. But depends how much it they charge to do the job

i am sure if you removed the shaft and bought the new bearing then got a mechanic to fit it, the cost would be minimal. if your sure this is your problem , call a mechanic and ask how much just to replace the bearing then you should have a good idea on the cost. check out EBAY for the bearing you may need. genuine might be abit expensive.

Hows that repco charge $140 for a centre bearing and at sprints auto they're $30

Oh god what a pain in the ass. Can i ask how much they charged to do it? Was thinking of pulling the tail shaft out myself and taking it to a mechanic to replace the centre bearing then putting it back together to save some coin. But depends how much it they charge to do the job

It was a couple hundred from memory

Well had my mechanic look over my car he thinks the centre bearing is fine and in good condition. Took him for adrive and he thinks it might be coming from the gearbox. The noise is getting worse it now does it in 3rd 4th and 5th gear. It could be doing it in lower gears but there is to much engine/induction noise to hear it. Its really annoying me now might book the car in for a dyno and see if they can hear where its coming from

Whine Noise

Could it possibly be a "Harmonic Whine" at all, have you added anything at all in
your near past, any large Bumps or bounces at all, any heavy hits underneath
lately!

highway man!:deadhorse2:

Yeah it is a harmonic whine kind of sound thats what one mechanic described it as. Havent added any new things besides tyres. Maybe a few big bumps from pot holes on road. Dont think iv had any hits underneath but i have bashplated from bullbar to transfercase

Just a thought could your harmonic balancer be seperating or maybe your alternator giving you a message ..i had a belt pulley on my commodore spit a bearing and the whine i couldnt locate before dissapeared

I have no idea mate. I had to google what a harmonic balancer is �� Dont think it would be the alternator i had a new one fitted earlier this year. Its hard to say where the noise is coming from but its getting worse so hopefully a mechanic will recognize it and be able to suggest a fix

I can now feel vibration through the steering wheel when the car makes this whine

Time for a dumass question could it be a wheel bearing? Bearings can whine and if its playing up i would imagine you would feel it thru the steering

Only does it when accelrating if i back off and roll in gear it doesnt happen so dont think its wheel bearing

Family Whine,

You accelerate and it whines, you free wheel and it rolls clear of whine, you
fitted new tyres, Retreads or Full new, course Treads or Road tyres?, have you
got a tread lifting off, although that is usually a thumping noise in my past life,
wheel bearings and Alternator Bearings have been checked out for wear of
course"haven't they"!

highway man!:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back