possible crank angle sensor?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodroxnissan

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys...I am a newbie to this forum,I have a 2006 nissan navara 3.0 ltr diesel, I have never had one issue with it i love it...but just recently i went to start it and the tachometer goes spasmatic up to around 4000 rpm and wont start unless i pump the eccelerator pedal. once it has started it runs beautiful smooth and idles great but the engine light stays on. I took it to nissan dealer and they say that the code for crank sensor showed up, then he said it is possible that once they replace the sensor dont be suprised if another code shows up TYPICAL nissan im sick and tired of rip off dealers looking for extra work at my expense. After reading a few forums i have found other nissan owners have had the same issues.I have replaced the fuel filter and checked for water in there but is no water. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? thanks in advance :)

Unfortunately Nissan dealers follow a formula when diagnosing problems in vehicles. For 95% of problems this works well, finds the fault quickly and gets you back on the road. It's the 5% of problems that give us the irits. What's worse is that the 95% of problems solved quickly are hardly ever mentioned on forums, but the 5% seem to be raised quite frequently - so forums will give you a rather skewed view of the larger picture.

The crank angle sensor tells the ECU what position the engine is in, so that the ECU knows when to open the injectors. If your engine runs ok once it's going, it's doesn't seem like the CAS would be out of alignment.

With a misaligned CAS, if the injectors open early, the diesel will combust early pushing the rising piston back down, making the diesel rattle far more pronounced and dramatically reducing the available power. If the injectors open late, the engine will be quieter and have reduced power.

It is possible that there's a connection loose on the CAS wire, which would produce erratic results until the thing settled and then, of course, the engine would run normally.

I would really wait for Tweak'e, Dion or Pinelli to come along and see what they say about it. It might not be the CAS at all - or it could be debris on the CAS. I do doubt that the CAS code won't show up unless there was an issue with the CAS in some way.

crank sensor?

Thanks Tony...That is sort of what i thought because if the angle sensor was buggered it would not let the car start at all, or at least you would think it would run out of time (missing)? but as i say once it starts you wouldnt know there was a problem as it idles smooth but i reckon there is a slight lack of power if at all. So maybe there could be a possible debris in the sensor? or maybe the sensor is mis-aligned?

regards
Rod

There are two threads on here that may help,

In general discusion,main forum, titled"anyone got ideas"
and in d22engine section titled "zd30 d22 hard to start".

They talk of similiar symptoms and cas ring gear.
Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

thanks guys

Thanks guys. I have an awesome mechanic just down the road i will go see him 2moz and ask him if he has a oscilloscope and suss out my CAS as this seems to be a regular problem, also will get him to check my glow plugs...will keep u posted

Ok. I took the Nissan to my mate at Kawana automotive...before he even put it on the machine, he knew a lot about the issue and said yes definately sounds like CAS so hooked it up to computer - done analysis twice and twice came back as CAS. so is booked in with him to rectify the problem.

Cas.........

Ok. i took the nissan down to my mate at Kawana Automotive, and he had a look at it and said before we even put it on the computer that it was definately CAS, he explained why the tacho was going spasmatic etc. then he hooked up the computer to my car and done the test twice, and twice came back with CAS. Analysis faulty CAS,so is booked in for Glen to rectify.
I bloody hope so cause its driving me mad....

Last edited:
Hi Guys...

Well here is some food for thought, I took my Nissan into have a new CAS fitted and the engine light is still on. The mechanic said he spoke to snap-on and they said that if the tacho is still going spasmatic which it is and the engine light is still on it will be a wiring prob from the ECU...So i had to take it to Nissan i booked it in and waited a week and i went down yesterday morn to drop it off, i was explaining the situation to the tech he said it will not be anything to do with the ECU it will be the starter motor from his experience...as he said they draw so much current and cause the starter is faulty it will throw faulty code errors to the ECU hence the CAS which i did not need to replace in the end..even tho it comes up on the diagnostic:( so i have now booked my starter in with a Auto electrician to be overhauled....has anybody heard of this happnin before it all makes sense after i have read all the post regarding CAS issues and people still have the problem after it is fitted, check your starter motors.....

Hi....As posted on the 2/5/12 I had a CAS issue showing up on the dash so i took the car to a mechanic and he assured me that twice he checked the problem and twice it came back as the CAS. So i had it replaced and the problem still showed up. So i then took it to Nissan and explained that i just had a genuine CAS fitted and the problem was still there....And WOW the technician said straight out in his experience it will be the starter motor he said he wont even have to test it he explained that when the starter motor is tired it sends faults to the ECU and the CAS is one of many...So i took my car away and got my best mate to come over who is a Auto Electrician he ordered me a new starter motor simply fitted it and the car is like new....UNBELIEVABLE... So to all out there who have had issues and spending money on such problems and the problem is still there get your starter motor checked.................

Hi Guys...

Well here is some food for thought, I took my Nissan into have a new CAS fitted and the engine light is still on. The mechanic said he spoke to snap-on and they said that if the tacho is still going spasmatic which it is and the engine light is still on it will be a wiring prob from the ECU...So i had to take it to Nissan i booked it in and waited a week and i went down yesterday morn to drop it off, i was explaining the situation to the tech he said it will not be anything to do with the ECU it will be the starter motor from his experience...as he said they draw so much current and cause the starter is faulty it will throw faulty code errors to the ECU hence the CAS which i did not need to replace in the end..even tho it comes up on the diagnostic:( so i have now booked my starter in with a Auto electrician to be overhauled....has anybody heard of this happnin before it all makes sense after i have read all the post regarding CAS issues and people still have the problem after it is fitted, check your starter motors.....

Had the same thing happen with mine, enough to drive you mad, and broke!!! Cheers Dan

Grr having the same problem paid $400 to fix it now the mechanic said its been corrected but engine light is still on which they said might be the timing chain any ideas

hello everyone,
i am having a similar issue with my 2004 str d22 zd30, its struggles to start and then after letting it warm up for 10mins before i take off, in 3rd and 4th gear it has a shuttering to it between 2000 and 3500 revs but then i put it in to 5th and it is fine and no engine light comes on, i thought at first it was fuel filter so changed that but still does it, so am now guessing its either a sensor or injectors, when its warm and at normal temp it wont do the shuttering in 3,4 gear so am more leaning at a sensor problem.

the shuttering is more likely a failing NPS (neutral position switch on the gearbox).
struggles to start can be a few things from dead glowplugs to fuel draining back to tank.

Latest posts

Back