I think I've stuffed up guys

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just finished installing the double row timing chain kit, and I think I've screwed up, I'm not sure whether I'm being paranoid or not.
She's a 2011 yd25 motor and I put the engines Australia double row timing kit in it, I'm pretty confident it was all lined up correctly, you can't really line everything up if something is out of order, long story short, I've run it and it works, and driven it and it feels like normal, but there is a high pitched whine coming from the tappet cover, that sounds like air escaping and it goes away when you pull the oil filler cap off, and when you drive it you can hear a second set of revs, and just then there was a slight vibration when the revs were dropping, what should I do?

2011 needing a timing chain? From my reading only up to 2010 had the dodgy ones.

If you're timing marks where off on your cams, you could be closing too late, and pressurizing your block - hence the "whine".

To me it sounds like your out by 1 cog. And the vibration could be due to an imbalance.

The longer you leave it, the more damage it will cause. I'd be stripping it down and going over the alignment again. Even speak to someone from Engines Australia about it. I would not use them again due to my timing chain kit from them failing after 40,000km and having to do it AGAIN.

Ditto. Checking the alignment is paramount. It's a lot of work though, so before you do it, check the exhaust manifold for leaks, and the intake piping between the turbocharger and the inlet manifold (including the intercooler) for leaks. Examine the EGR pipe too - that pipe would have to have come off to remove the timing cover. The sound going away when you open the oil filler does point to a mistiming - surprising that it hasn't popped the dipstick.

i think if the timing was out 1 tooth you would know something is not right in engine power as it was before the chain was replaced. sounds to be an airleak to me.

Sounds like you have a leak in your pcv system somewhere. I agree with the last 2 posts, if it was a tooth out you would have known about it as soon as you started the engine

Latest posts

Back