D22 3.0 front mount cooler for $500!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiffy

Reaction score
Fianaly have been alowed the time to fit the big front mount cooler to the nav. Was a little bit of stuffing around and used up a couple of days, but hey, thats custom work for ya!
The cooler was an ebay special, cost me around $150. Is supposed to be an upgrade cooler for an XR6 turbo. The pipes were around $200 (from ebay as well) and the hoses and clamps etc were about another $150.
I managed to get it all sorted without to much trouble. I'm not sure if it goes any better, i'll need to get it on the highway for that I think. Perhaps there is the smallest bit of turbo lag now ( thats to be expected when now the intake pipe is 10x longer than before) I think i'll get the most out of it when I get the 3" exhaust on and when I can wire in my module. No boost increase yet, that can wait for the other mods. An EGT gauge is a must when all thats done as well!
One immeadiate difference is how much louder the turbo is now! It resonates through the metal boost pipes and you can here it realy whistle! I would have prefered it to stay quiet, but, oh well!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,502
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,134
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,491
Technically it's very easy. It's just connecting some pipes and bolting on a new cooler. However, making mounting brackets, drilling holes, arranging/cutting pipes etc can get a bit fiddly. Nothin to serious, just gotta take your time :)

ah, cool. did u get many other pics during your fab/install? I might consider giving it a bash

I'll put a couple up, see if they help but check out other post on this forum. That's where I got my 'instructions' :)

Awe damn, here I am waiting over 10 weeks for my intercooler and it cost me twice as much. Looks good, I maybe should've tried my own.

Nice install mate.

Thinking of changing my front mount as I am not happy with the pipe going through the bullbar mount.

Nice install mate.

Thinking of changing my front mount as I am not happy with the pipe going through the bullbar mount.

I wasn't all that worried. It's not ideal, but,
I don't plan on hitting anything!
In hindsight, I prob should have gone a smaller
Cooler but I couldn't pass that one up.
I think it measures about 45cmx30cm and is
about 10cm thick. A bit big I know! Will get
the most out I it with other mods.

Nice work cobber.
Is that a winch bullbar you have and is there room for a winch plus cooler.
One fine day ill get a winch and I am looking at options for winch plus my front mount.
Guess ill start by getting a winch bar and take it from there.
Maybe ill end up going top mount if I have to. Maybe a smaller front mount.

heres some other pics. I still cant believe how much louder all that alloy pipe makes the turbo! you can see in one of the pics I just used some cut down shocky rubbers for the mounts. The brackets are just a couple of bits of angle that i cut to size and drilled. I think all up it must have taken about 15 hrs? I suppose. not bad realy. If I bought a kit for say$1200 to $1500 it would probly still have taken a whole day to fit.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 492
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 490
  • photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 466
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Nice work cobber.
Is that a winch bullbar you have and is there room for a winch plus cooler.
One fine day ill get a winch and I am looking at options for winch plus my front mount.
Guess ill start by getting a winch bar and take it from there.
Maybe ill end up going top mount if I have to. Maybe a smaller front mount.

yeah it is a whinch bar, I have no intention of putting a whinch on it. I doubt one would fit now. I will actually cut a bit more of the bar away and put a couple of maybe3" holes either side of the whinch reccess just to get some better airflow to the cooler. 99% of my driving is on road and when I go off road its only on the beach.

dont know if theres much that can be done about the noise is there? I guess its just something you have to learn to live with. cant have the best of both worlds. I do actually love the sounds but the girl isnt impressed!

I wrapped the intake side of the cooler piping.

Quietened it down abit, the snorkel makes it louder aswell.

Since I haven't been doing alot of highway km's, the Nav is looking to be in 9L'/100km's.

There not really geared for highway runs.

Put 2T behind it and she pulls well.

Have you changed the exhaust ?

Exhaust is next. I've been looking at the 3" systems on ebay. from $1100 to $1400. hurricane and redback systems. They all from the same mob in melbourne I think. I would rather buy a system like that and then put it on myself at home. Dont know much about them brands but they cant be too bad. I've got a module sitting here as well. I picked it up off ebay $500. pretty good deal. its a 'dieselpower' module. They seem pretty good. see how it goes. All the modules are the same up to 8/10ths. I wont be pushing mine that much anyway!

Put a pyro metre in before you up the fuel.

Cant comment on the Chip as I dont have one.

When Northside releases there UniChip Ill be getting one of those.

yeah EGT gauge and boost gauge are coming soon too. just not sure where to put them? I may just put a couple of pods up top of the dash in the centre. dont like the a pillar ones.
module is always gunna be the very last thing to do, i'm just a sucker for an ebay bargin!

Latest posts

Back