The D.I.Y. ZD30 remap thread.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No point in spending so much time learning how to do it, only to do my own car. I'm going to Bali for a week on Tuesday so posts might be a bit thin till I get back. I'll look at the patrol bin and work out why they got 118kw compared to our 110kw will sipping bundy cocktails on the beach.

No point in spending so much time learning how to do it, only to do my own car. I'm going to Bali for a week on Tuesday so posts might be a bit thin till I get back. I'll look at the patrol bin and work out why they got 118kw compared to our 110kw will sipping bundy cocktails on the beach.

It's going to take me until then to catch up on the reading! Hope you have a great time, have a drink for me an catch you when you get back.

Next up is the smoke map but before we look at that we need to know about the Volumetric Efficiency map at address 3EEB6. An engine won't completely fill a cylinder to 1 atmosphere due to restrictions in the intake, valve design and overlap, heat expansion and exhaust restrictions. Because of this there is a difference between the actual amount of air in the cylinder and what the MAP sensor reads as it is directly after the turbo before any restrictions. To make sure the right amount of fuel goes in with the right amount of air there is a map that take this in to account.
One axis of this map is rpm and the other is the boost level in mbar as measured at the MAP. The output is actual cylinder pressure in mbar accounting for the above mention inefficiencies. This would then become the pressure axis on the smoke map so that correct air fuel ratios are achieved. If you look at the figures i've circled in the attached picture, if you divide 1301 by 1300 you get a V.E of 1. Divide 1600 by 1700 and you get a V.E of 0.94 and divide 1920 by 2200 and you get a V.E of 0.87. As you increase boost pressure temperature increases and V.E goes down. I'm yet to look at the Patrol bin, but I think with an intercooler it's V.E would drop less as pressure rises, which probably accounts for it's power increase over the Navara. Unless you fit an intercooler there would be no need to modify this map.

Attachments

• Volumetric efficency 3D.JPG
    Volumetric efficency 3D.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Volumetric efficency text.JPG
    Volumetric efficency text.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
The Smoke Map is at address 3E97E. On a standard engine there is no real need to modify this map, it's main purpose is just as you'd expect from it's name, and that is to keep the correct Air Fuel Ratios so you don't get lots of black smoke. It's axis are rpm and boost level with the output being injection quantity. Without knowing what Nissan use as the figure for the weight of air, you can't work backwards to know what the actual AFRs are but 18-1 are generally accepted as good for maximum power.

This online calculator http://www.convertunits.com/from/millibar/to/psi converts mbar to psi and as the mbar axis goes to 2240 this is close to 18psi, so the map easily covers a stock setup. On a modified setup you could extend the range of the mbar axis by changing 2240 to 2540, which is the maximum range of the MAP sensor and then recalculating your AFRs and changing the Injection quantity cells to suit. There is another smoke map at 3C8E0 which starts with a 480 mbar axis, this map is for driving at altitude and doesn't need changing either.

Attachments

• Smoke map ori 3D.JPG
    Smoke map ori 3D.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Smoke map ori text.JPG
    Smoke map ori text.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Next map is the torque limiter at 3B952. This one i'm not to sure about as it's different to all the other ones I've looked at. Most euro cars have atmospheric pressure on one axis verses rpm on the other with the output being Nm. They then have a table to convert Nm to injection quantity. Our map is injection quantity verses rpm, and I think the output might be Nm with a conversion factor of 0.312 because that would give the specified torque of 314Nm at around 2000rpm. The injection quantity axis only goes to 59mg but where not requesting anymore than that on the drivers wish, so there's no need to change that for a stock setup. On the output I've raised the Nm setting later in the rpm range so it doesn't reduce fueling but i'm not sure that's how this map works and need to do more work on it.

Attachments

• Torque limiter ori 3D.JPG
    Torque limiter ori 3D.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Torque limiter modde 3D.JPG
    Torque limiter modde 3D.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Torque limiter modded text.JPG
    Torque limiter modded text.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 159
After that is the what I think is the Requested Boost map at 3CBE0. This map sets the boost level for a requested injection quantity and probably caps the rate at which the boost level rises. Again the injection quantity axis is high than the drivers wish so it doesn't need to be changed but boost only goes to 1946 mbar which is 13.5 psi. This is just above the maximum value on the Volumetric Map so the requested boost map may be adjust to take that into account but I've raised it just to be certain.

Raising this map should allow boost to come on earlier which helps improve throttle response. I raised it through most of the range including down low, which was set for well below atmospheric pressure. I may change that back to it's original values as it was probably set like that for driving at altitude. The maximum value was set to cover 15 psi and the rest of the map was kept smooth, ideally you would log your boost curve and set the map to match.

Attachments

• requested boost ori 3D.JPG
    requested boost ori 3D.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 157
  • Requested boost ori text.JPG
    Requested boost ori text.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 171
  • requested boost modded 3D.JPG
    requested boost modded 3D.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 154
  • requested boost modded text.JPG
    requested boost modded text.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 162
Okay my local guy is going to have a crack at socketing the ECU, and is interested in tuning diesel vehicles. His main concern is monitoring the vehicle in real time when he is tuning, what is the best option to monitor the ZD30 engine? I know they have an OBDI and/or nissan consult port, is there some way of using one of these ports to view what the engine is doing?

I have heard of people using ECUtalk or similar? He is not overly keen on this as it hardly real time, maybe 1fps, he wants to view data at 30fps or better.

Ecutalk is pretty much the only option for us and isn't really much help with tuning as it only tells you duty cycle for the timing and spill valves.Ecutalks refresh rate is ten times a second. Dougal is the only other person to have written about Nissan diesel ecus.

Attachments

• Ecutalk datalog.jpg
    Ecutalk datalog.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 173
Wouldn't you be able to have a obd to serial adapter and use a laptop. Surly it would be quicker?

Andrew0

I dont think the Nissan OBD port on a ZD30 D22 is actually OBD compatible it's like a nissan consult plug which cant actually be used by OBD devices, even though an OBD plug will fit. Don't quote me on that but it is what I have gathered from reading other users posts on here.

Dang, works on my d40 yd25 with an iPhone app. Not the best refresh rate tho. I'll buy one the this obd to serial and see if I can get it better, then I'll try it on my mates patrol.

Dang, works on my d40 yd25 with an iPhone app. Not the best refresh rate tho. I'll buy one the this obd to serial and see if I can get it better, then I'll try it on my mates patrol.
That's fine for looking at the ecu, but this is for reprogramming the ecu, not just looking at it...

Also, as above, the older d22s don't support obd2, even though they have the plug.

Back onto the maps. When it comes to modifying the maps it's not just the map that can be modified, you can change the axis figures too. To do it you just highlight the number to change, hit the "equals" button and a box opens up that lets you change the value. When you compare the original drivers wish map to the one I've changed you can see that the axis spacing aren't even, moving them out can help reduce how touchy the pedal will seem giving a more progressive feel. You'll also noticed I've changed the maximum voltage from 5.5v to 4.16v, I don't think I've seen more than 4.05v on ecutalk. Again it's just trial and error, make changes, try it out and see how it responds. I did change 0.56v to something lower on one trial but had a dead accelerator pedal, so had to change it back, no other problems so far.

Attachments

• new drivers wish.JPG
    new drivers wish.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 162
  • new drivers wish 2nd.JPG
    new drivers wish 2nd.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 126
  • ori drivers wish spacings.JPG
    ori drivers wish spacings.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 127
  • original drivers wish spacings 2nd.JPG
    original drivers wish spacings 2nd.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 111
I haven't been posting much but i'm still trying different things all the time. I've been looking for the torque limiters and figured the best way to find them would be by reducing them by 40% and going for a drive, the power loss should be noticeable. Newer cars measure torque in newton metres and then have a map to convert newton metres to injection quantity in mg of fuel. Our car being 15 years old just seems to measure in fuel quantity which makes what I thought was the main torque limiter different to anything else. By having injection quantity on one axis it's output probably cant be injection quantity as well, so I was thinking it might be a percentage of the requested I.Q. Anyway reducing this map by 40% made no noticeable difference to power. I have seen the same map in a BMW 320D 136hp file and it wasn't one they changed.

Attachments

• 3B952 main Torque limiter.JPG
    3B952 main Torque limiter.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 121
All the other torque limiters are 2D maps and having flattened them all out 40% none seem to reduce power. This has left me thinking that maybe they only set an upper limit above what the Drivers Wish requests but that is unlikely. 3B0DA looks like the main 2D torque limiter and is similar to that in the 320D files I've looked at. 39F06 might be a torque limiter for full throttle as it's values are just above 3B0DA. 3B11A might be a limp mode torque limiter as it's pretty flat. 3D992 and 3D9CA might be limiters for overboost or if the boost sensor fails.
I'm still working on a tune for 15psi but when I was running 22psi I was getting fuel cut at 18psi, to get around this I had to raise all the 2d limiters to stop this fuel cut so i'm certain this is what they are, it's just a matter of working out what each one is.

Attachments

• 3B0DA main 2d torque limiter.JPG
    3B0DA main 2d torque limiter.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 154
  • 3B11A 2d limp mode torque limiter.JPG
    3B11A 2d limp mode torque limiter.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 3D9CA 2d torque limiter.JPG
    3D9CA 2d torque limiter.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 3D992 2d torque limiter.JPG
    3D992 2d torque limiter.JPG