Blow by issues!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianForsyth

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Having a decent amount of blow by on my 2008 d40. I checked the oil levels and it seemed to be a bit high but I think it's because I overfilled it a bit last oil change + it being a lot warmer. Haven't noticed it going up but needs a oil change soon anyway so going to drain it next week and fill to the correct level. The blow by is strong enough that I do have a decent amount of oil on the lower side of the big rubber pipe/tube that leads from the air filter box with the sensors etc in it, also you can easily hear the amount of air being pushed out of the oil cap when it is removed also with a decent amount of oil coming out too. (See attached video) https://youtu.be/qykU60tSNUw
I heard that the D40's don't have a PCV valve in them can anyone confirm that this is true and that it wouldn't be a pcv problem?
Also did the paper test to see if any diesel was in the oil and it had no visible ring, I also smelt the oil and I couldn't smell diesel.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be (hopefully something besides the engine being worn out) but it does have about 215k on it.
It is blowing less smoke than it used to but no blue smoke or evidence of oil coming out of the exhaust.
I don't know if it would help isolate the issue but when it's cold if I drop the clutch too quickly when I'm changing to second gear the engine will cut out for half a second.
Also I have just had to move so don't have much cash at the moment, is there any great danger driving it? I don't drive too much but need to make a trip up to cairns from Townsville in September so want to get it sorted by the end of the month.
Thanks for any help!
Julian

Look normal enough to me. Blow-by in diesels is extraordinary compared to petrol engines, it's the result of higher compression and a more powerful combustion process in the chamber.

Your PCV is at the rear of the engine. Here's a video about a catch can install, have a look around 1:45 for the location of the PCV.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXz4ODvjczs[/YT]

You usually only get diesel in the sump oil when an injector seal doesn't sit properly and that's usually when someone's been fiddling with the injectors.

I don't think there's much wrong with it.

i would be putting the correct engine oil in plus don,t overfill also fit an oil catch can. maybe the pcv isn,t sealing off hw it should so also fit a new pcv.

Latest posts

Back