Extended Shock Absorbers.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatius

Misanthrope
Reaction score
Hi All. Have decided to give the old d22 a better set of rear springs. I think they (originals) have sagged and I'm getting a bit tired of the side steps getting caught up and the arse dragging on the rougher tracks. Will be going to 32" tyres next time also as they should go straight on without issue.

A question for those with suspension system experience. With a 2" rear lift, will this require extended shock absorbers? I guess the only way to really know would be to see if the shock absorbers are long enough with the rear jacked up until the wheels are off the ground? I'll wind up the front a bit also but am not changing the front shock absorbers, see no point as travel is limited by the bump stops anyway.

Thanks.

ps. Thinking of getting EFS 0-300kg hd springs. Supposed to raise the rear 45-50mm above standard height. Anyone have these? Have to get extended shock absorbers?

I got new shockies when I get new springs, only because the old ones were cactus anyway. 60k km and they were dead... Most aftermarket shockies are suited to a 2" lift anyway. You may get more than that depending on how sagged your old ones are...

It won't hurt to try though, you just won't get as much down travel with the stock ones as you would with longer ones... Obviously...

Thanks for the responses fellas. It probably would be worth getting over being a tightarse lol and get longer ones and be done with it. Though for something that at first appears intuitive and straightforward (raised height = longer shock absorbers), I have strangely heard conflicting reports. The following for example, from Rancho suspension blogsite.

On most popular Australian-sold vehicles with a suspension lift up of to 50mm of lift. The shock absorber length supplied (in almost any brand in the marketplace) is about the same as the original unit. This is because in most cases there is sufficient travel in the shocks stroke to allow for this type of lift. Particularly as the amount of extra stretch between the shock mounting points is usually less that the amount of vehicle lift height.

http://rancho-suspension.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/what-is-best-length-shock-for-my-4wd.html

I got new shockies when I get new springs, only because the old ones were cactus anyway. 60k km and they were dead... Most aftermarket shockies are suited to a 2" lift anyway. You may get more than that depending on how sagged your old ones are...

It won't hurt to try though, you just won't get as much down travel with the stock ones as you would with longer ones... Obviously...

Thanks bods. Down travel could be a problem if it restricts it. It doesn't take much to lift a wheel at the moment, wouldn't like to make that any worse.

a reasonable pair of after market shocks wont be hugely expensive, have a look at bluemax brand.

Thanks ben85.

From what I can see the standard shockies seem to extend between somewhere around 320mm-545 mm. Have ordered a pair a bit longer at 357mm-588mm. Will see how it goes.

its not just the down travel to worry about with a shorter length sock its also the up travel when your wheel has dropped down to the max what happens is the shorter length shock would be holding the total weight of the rear end as it sit mid air. unless you use chains or straps to hold maximum travel instead of the shock doing the hard work , this would be ok.

Thanks jonney, I can see a possible problem both ways with wrong length shockies. Too short and with one wheel in the air the shockie might not extend enough and could be holding the weight. Too long and as the other wheel moves up inside the guard/spring compresses, the shockie might reach it's limit/ not close up enough and also and be taking all the weight.

Something I have never thought much about before, though lifting a wheels is a regular thing. Hopefully the longer shockies will be alright.

With a 2" rear lift, will this require extended shock absorbers?
no stock ones are fine.
tho a lot of the aftermarket replacement shocks are a bit longer anyway.
either way with a 2" lift theres no issues with shocks.

Yes, thanks tweak'e. Put the springs in with the standard shocks and they were fine as you say. In the end I changed them anyway. Thought I might as well go the whole hog as they were cheap enough, new ones have a bit longer travel. Not necessary though, has made no difference.

Thanks eric, brake lines seem fine. Took it to a track where I know wheels will lift off the ground to try it out.

2" lift is very useful but isn't really that much. It's probably why "suspension modifications that do not increase or decrease ride height by more than 50mm" are considered "non significant modifications" that don't need certifying (in NSW at least). It's difficult to get 2" out of the front anyway, apparently the rules require it to be within 66/33 limits (in either direction) re the bump stops. IFS vehicles are a bit limited anyway for off road stuff.

Last edited:
with the d22 rear springs being so crap, fixing them gives you a 2".
so its still very worth while to do.

and factory shocks are not great, so it should handle a lot better with new shocks.

Yes, has made a big difference on the highway. Feels much firmer, handles better and seems more comfortable. It tended to bounce around quite a bit previously. Well worth doing.

What I meant by shockies made no difference, is off road re wheel travel. Neither seem to reach full extension. Extended shockies seem to make no difference over standard ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back