D40 new turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filthy

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here can any 1 hell me out .. I'm thinking my 2.5L turbo is on it's way out and if I'm going to get a new 1 what would be the best to get ? With out spending to much !!!

Forefront Industries will have a billet turbocharger out soon. That's one option.

What I'd do first though is make sure there's a problem with the turbo and it's not something simple like a leaking vacuum hose!

Could you describe the symptoms to us?

It's lagging a lot from bout 3000rpm and has a bit of a whistle to it when I back off ... Also hav lot of oil in the pipe from the inter cooler

A small amount of oil in the pipe post-turbo is perfectly normal. It comes from the blow-by which comes out of the pipe at the top of the back of the engine, and is fed into the air intake just in front of the turbocharger - so don't worry about that part of it.

At 3,000rpm your turbocharger should be going very strongly. If the actuator isn't allowing the flow onto the turbine it could impair its motion (and that might also change its tone). It still might just be the actuator!

Here's the test: start the car and let it idle. Pop the bonnet, walk around to the left hand side of the engine and look under the round gold-coloured widget that sits on top of the turbo. There is an arm underneath, around 8mm thick or so. It should be moving up and down about 3-5mm almost randomly.

If it's NOT moving, there's your problem. Take a look?

Same topic - different reason..

I am pretty sure mine is making a "rattling" noise when first coming onto boost - and then around 3500rpm it sounds like something is loose - then it goes away.

At first I thought it was something vibrating with the revs - now i am thinking its a worn imprellor vibrating on the shaft as it starts to spool - and then when it's really pushed, vibrates again when spinning hard..

Anyone else had this? Is this the sign the turbo is fk'd?

I'd be opening the air intake at the front of the turbo and checking it. Wiggle the shaft, it shouldn't move perceptibly (tolerance is something like 0.09mm). It should turn over smoothly, it shouldn't have any gritty feel to the rotation.

So, from that I can deduce that if it DOES wobble - then it's cactus.... And that would be the rattle as it starts to spin??

Is this something that is serviceable - or scrap it and look for something else?

It's done over 200,000km on it (I presume, as I bought the car 2nd hand)

If it wobbles, it's a sign that the bearings have worn. It's rebuildable - and the 2056V is fitted to many vehicles, Jeep, Mercedes and more. There will be someone near you that can rebuild it or at least supply the bits if you want to DIY.

I'd be opening the air intake at the front of the turbo and checking it. Wiggle the shaft, it shouldn't move perceptibly (tolerance is something like 0.09mm). It should turn over smoothly, it shouldn't have any gritty feel to the rotation.

This is good advice, the rattle could also come from the vanes in the turbo, not sure if you can 'wiggle' the vanes by playing with the vacuum actuator ?

The rattle could be something simple, like a loose mounting bolt/nut, a loose bracket for an ancilliary item...

I'd love to hear the rattle. A low-frequency rattle is probably something loose, could be just an idler bearing, cooling fan on shroud etc. High-frequency is more likely the turbo - the engine spins at most 5,000rpm, turbo spins > 100,000rpm.

Latest posts

Back