147Kw D40 Intercooler Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a power steering cooler on my rig I know you mentioned it in a previous post but do you have a kit that takes that in consideration??
Also price how much and will the one with steer cooler be any different?

Alllsooooo have you any progress on the custom air box as yet???!?! Keen as to know that one!!!!!

cheers Rik

This could be quite handy...
Given the heat we generate under the bonnet and our summer temperatures... With the added restriction most of us have with driving lights installed. Anything to help keep the truck running cooler is a great investment.

My 2cents anyway (unless I'm wrong)

The mass flow does not change

Yes it does buddy. The MAP sensor after the IC will control your turbo VNT via the ecu to the same 18.5psi max boost measured at the coldside endtank as before, but the cooler charge, albeit at the same pressure, will now be denser. The turbo is indeed now working a little bit harder (a bit more shaft speed to reach the same post IC max boost).

Last edited:
Not that much, until you adjust your fueling to make use of that denser charge.

Will the ECU relearn and adjust fueling of it's own accord the more it runs in closed loop?

Nice intercooler and pics there Northside. Just the type of mod along with exhaust I intend to do once the finaces allow. My hours have been cut somthing shocking lately- buggar!

What is the reason why it only fits the the higher output donk?

Last edited:
Will the ECU relearn and adjust fueling of it's own accord the more it runs in closed loop?

Nice intercooler and pics there Northside. Just the type of mod along with exhaust I intend to do once the finaces allow. My hours have been cut somthing shocking lately- buggar!

What is the reason why it only fits the the higher output donk?

My 08 Thai AT has no o2 sensor so no closed loop feedback for the ecu. I'm not sure if the 147kW version is different. Even if so equipped, no adjustment of WOT/open loop fueling is to be expected, so no real increase in topend power. From the graphs, you can see that the truck is running leaner with the new IC, so clearly there is more air for about the same amount of fuel.

AFAIK the hot side piping on the 147kW takes a slightly different route than the previous versions.

Last edited:
Yes it does buddy. The MAP sensor after the IC will control your turbo VNT via the ecu to the same 18.5psi max boost measured at the coldside endtank as before, but the cooler charge, albeit at the same pressure, will now be denser. The turbo is indeed now working a little bit harder (a bit more shaft speed to reach the same post IC max boost).
ok , the mass flow is changing only due to the turbo being asked to work harder by electronic control over the vane geometry ..if this weren't the case then no difference ..also folks need to question new IC's internal flow resistance...you'll get a pressure drop due to basic gas laws of cooling and then another due to flow velocity path...which then asks the turbo to potentially work in an area of the compressor map which is less adiabatic efficient

heres a map
compressormap.gif

And I agree with everything in your post. Thankfully though, this (and most OEM) turbos can take a handful of extra psi at the compressor outlet (.3 or .4 extra PR) without running right up to the choke line or highest shaft speed line. The post IC charge temp readings from the graphs suggest no signs of the turbo complaining, at least not any more than on the stock setup.

Btw: I don't run this IC kit. I made my own.

Last edited:
Btw: I don't run this IC kit. I made my own.

Would you like to share your ordeals in making / designing your own ?..issues around volume , cooling and getting to a point where it satisfies on street performance particularly around part throttle transition /lag induced.

The link in my sig is to my build thread. On a diesel I firmly believe that you can, no should, go as big as feasible, as you're under boost nearly all the time, and there are no losses through off throttle purge (bov), so no real lag issues because of de- and repressurization. My turbo setup with an equal length manifold and a compressor reclocked 180 degree or so, is very different from the stock setup, the piping is basically as short and straight to the front and back as possible. My IC core at 22"x10"x3" is almost twice the size of the stocker, and I'm flowing 41lb/min/695cfm @ PR 3.7/38psi.
fc90b529.jpg

2c7eb432.jpg

070c8163.jpg

918694bc.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back