07 d40 V6 petrol engine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govo

Reaction score
Hey fella,s
I have what I would call a ticking noise more so than a knocking noise, it's not crazy loud but loud enough that even my wife can hear it, it seems to be slightly louder when cold, have had a mechanic check it out but couldn't pinpoint it. Anyone had a similar issue or could offer some advice as its starting to worry me a bit. Thanks Mark

Hey Govo
Not many of us V6 petrol owners
It could be any number of things. Can you identify roughly where it is coming from. It could be a noisy injector or something in the valve train or even a pebble in a belt.
Have you changed the oil?
I just went with Penrite full synthetic and it made a huge difference. No more death rattle on start up and running heaps smoother. It could pay to change your oil out and see if that makes any difference.
Does the noise vary with clutch in or out?
Does the noise get louder with revs or same noise level just faster?

Hey Aussie

Mate I changed oil prob 3k ago and only because the salesman suggested it I actually ended up using Penrith synthetic. The noise is still there and I would say that the noise is consistent but gets faster with engine revs, to me it's sound like its coming from down lower in the engine not so much from up top if that makes sense, one mechanic that looked at it thought it was coming from the exhaust and was quite addiment that it was not from the motor, but it's sound engine related to me. Cheers Mark

If its not from the top end of the motor that takes away the valve train and injectors.
Can you identify if its coming from drivers or passengers side.Am just thinking it could be something like an alternator bearing etc

Hey Aussie
Mate it's hard to say from inside the cab what side it's coming from, I'm at a loss as to what it is its only noticeable when I am driving just revving the motor at a stand still doesn't seem to do it, mechanic had it on hoist while some one else was reving it and couldn't pin point it, maybe take it to another mech and see if someone else can work it out. Cheers Mark

how many k's? could be a leaking exhuast manifold gasket. i'd check the tension on the manifold bolts, if that doesn't stop it, the manifolds may be warped slightly or the gasket may have blown out if the bolts are loose.

that will make a ticking sound normally under acceleration but not when free revving

Hey bods
That's what the mechanic thought it may have been, but he went over it and checked all the bolt but couldn't find anything. I dunno maybe the manifold could be warped, car only done 59ks.cheers Mark

V6 engine noise

Hi there.
My contribution to this thread is a little late but it may be of use to someone now...
My D40 V6 with 160,000km's has developed a...rattley/tappetty/harsh sound that occurs at about 2100 revs but does away as I continue to accelerate past that part of the rev range. Upon investigating it appears to occur exactly when a solenoid(?) looking valve thing on the top of the engine actuates. I haven't gone through with a repair yet but this may be of assistance to someone who is trying to isolate the same kind of noise.
Cheers

I have diagnosed the issue. It's a 'rattle' in the VIAS valve that is attached to the front of the plastic intake manifold. There is a YouTube video that explains how to remove it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKn_hrRglD8

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back