Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22 King

Reaction score
Which would be better? a top mount or frount mount? i have a steel bullbar with a t-max winch, would it be easier in the bar or would it cost more to have a bonnet scoop put in for a top mount?

hmmm, front mount would work better I would think but more susceptible to damage. There are a few kits around now I think, might be worth looking into.

From my experience having an exhaust temp gauge, I'd go with a front mount over anything else, the highest exhaust temps I've seen have always been when pushing up a hill in 5th gear, all the low range stuff I've ever done doesn't come close to the amount of strain the engine has to cope with when working hard in 5th gear high range.

Highest exhaust temps I've ever seen in low range would be 450 degrees C, whereas I've seen 700 degrees C overtaking in 5th gear up a bit of an incline, to me this is where I'd want my intercooler working at it's best, to give more power and more importantly to knock down the exhaust temps, the only intercooler that will do this in my opinion is a front mount air-air cooler.

is it possible to run dual intercoolers (as mines got the top mount stock) or just scrap the top mount and put a front mount on?

I'd leave it alone until it's out of warranty maddog. Down the track if it was me I'd stick with the top mount and stick a suitable thermo fan on it that I could turn on as required.

what if i could get a temp activated electric fan or something? the have them for the old toyota MR2s. might be possible.

That is possible, I've read of plenty of people using a temperature activated switch to control a fan on an intercooler, just a matter of sourcing the right switch for the job and sticking the sensor within the air stream after the intercooler to control the fan.

I'd leave it alone until it's out of warranty maddog. Down the track if it was me I'd stick with the top mount and stick a suitable thermo fan on it that I could turn on as required.

i gotta wait 3 years to mod it! lol

i got a friend who works at RAC as a mechanic so can get him to install it for free and then it'd be certified

thermo fan? you mean the big one in front of the radiator?

Yes similar to the one you have on the front of the radiator, you will just need one that is small enough that you can fix on top of the intercooler under the bonnet scoop.

are they power hungry, or just best to hit the switch when driving hard? its around the high 30's here in perth so running a fan constantly might seem somewhat good for it, yet may not be required?

not required in perth. im from there originally( 6 months ago) not fan required to be running full time unless along some of the boggier beaches

my utes not 4x4 so i wont be going in any boggy places, haha. mostly city/town driving and local home to places driving.

sigh, wish was 4x4, but guess thats what i use dad's land cruiser ute for!

I have been contemplating a top mount as I have bugger all room with the warn on the bullbar.

There is not alot of space above the ZD30.

Anyone know how thick the Denco water to air barrels are ?

Dave.

Is the Denco kit for a top mount? ive got a fair bit of room above mine due to the bodylift.

downside of front mount is the long intake tubes.
i can't see the point of changeing top mount to front mount.
just fit a fan to the top mount, fit a 50-70 degree thermo switch.

due to lack of room on the ZD30 and i hate cutting bonnets, i was looking at water injection. properly far cheaper but water useage is fairly high so you need somewhere to fit a decent size water tank. i was looking at at least a 20 litre.

Thanks for that link shonky. Looks like a pretty straight forward install....might have a few problems if you have the dual battery kit and have relocated the fuel filter...doesnt look like itd be to hard to change the mount to above the motor either, fairly small unit.

anyone know if the ZD30 bonnets have the structual mounts in place for a scoop? ive heard insurance companies dont like it when you cut holes in bonnets as apparently it affects the impact crush design. But the euro D22s had scoops so ours might have the structure in place.

Not cheap....$2134

whats not cheap??

i would think bonnet scoop would be ok as 2WD D22 and new 2008 D22 has scoops. however fitting an intercooler under it might be tricky with the ZD30.

the denco/pwr barrels are fairly cheap, ARE i think is in the $4000 range (mind you its a far better product and not made in china)

Latest posts

Back