New chip available for the D23

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been running my rail pressure pretty high for around 90tho now...no issues as yet....i do however also run a injector extender and a few other bits and bobs.but overall in 130tho ive had very few issues
D40 tho...
Im expecting my injectors to last as long as they are suppose to.

Welcome to the forum!

I just had a look at the fitting instructions for the SW chip - it's purely (and only) a fuel rail pressure modifier. The only connection it makes is to the fuel rail pressure sensor:

Now they might do a better mapping than the rough-and-ready "No Limits" chip (about $150 on eBay) but essentially they're the same thing.

Here's a thread that's really worth reading. The author was reselling the Unichip device and last I heard was working in Queensland doing exhausts and tunes on diesel. When you chat to him you get the distinct impression that he's familiar with the subject at hand. He was quite good in discussions in here.

Thanks Old Tony.. yeah the ole man got an SW for his Ranger and was told it doesn't increase the fuel pressure.. it maybe different for the NP300.. I might give him a buzz tomorrow.. Ill let you know the findings.

Have a look at the fitting instructions. There's only one reason to connect to the fuel rail pressure sensor: to modify the signal being returned to the ECU. It's actually quite a simple task.

The fuel rail pressure sensor is essentially a variable resistor. You send it +5V, this passes through the resistor, and a certain voltage is returned. The variation in voltage is proportional to the pressure.

Bring in the "chip" that plugs into the pressure sensor. What it does is modify the return signal so that the ECU sees a different voltage than it should. The ECU thinks the rail pressure is not as high as it expected, so the ECU commands the fuel pump to work a little harder.

So in a way these guys are telling the truth, although using a verbal sleight of hand: the chip itself doesn't increase the rail pressure. To be perfectly precise, the chip modifies the return signal from the pressure sensor fooling the ECU into raising the rail pressure.

Bluespark and SW Diesel Chip Photos

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between the photos of these chips?

- Bluespark is 280 Pound sterling or $540.00 (Aussie converted).

- SW Diesel is $900 (and their site raves on about passing the savings on to the customer?!).

They are either different units in the same box or the SW supplier has added a smokescreen. The SW chip is still a rail pressure modifier but it also connects into the boost sensor. One has to acknowledge that without knowing throttle position, engine RPM, engine load, MAFS flow rate (and temp) etc, knowing the boost pressure is only of minor value. What if they don't even use the information?

Charging more than an item is worth isn't uncommon. Someone took apart the $150 No-Limits chip and discovered that the components could be bought in Jaycar with change from $10. While it's true that R&D costs have to be recouped, you'd have to wonder how much actual R&D went into a couple of resistors in a plastic project box with a few wires hanging out of it ...

Yep over priced garbage really. Best to wait for a full ECU flash and Dyno if you are so concerned about it. I have had this argument many times in the same situation but with motorbikes. Best to flash the ECU if possible and Dyno it. This too depends on the "Tuner" and if they know what they are doing.

I have a friend who is one of the best at it. Only people in the know see him as it's not overly advertised like these snake oil tune boxes. For this box to be what...$540- $900 and only boost or add more fuel to the rail.... Hmmmm

I've found some one that can do it for the single turbo unit , however I since decided to go with UniChip much the same way my Toyota LC a 5 stage program all be a much'a softer program 30 to 40 % increase in power and toque.

I was also told that flashing the ecu would not be the correct way to go and if anything was to go pear shaped the flash would remain on the ECU that could be discover-able during the warranty tests etc etc

So for me its gonna be the UniChip

Marty

Last edited:
The difference of a Unichip v ECU flash , the uni is not your average chip its fully programmable unlike so many that only up rail pressure and in the long run it Will kill your engine

The ECU flash will give you a single tune that will be fully traceable by any nissan dealer if poo was to hit the fan , the uni will allow you to be fully plug in and play , Lindsey aka "Diesel Tuner" will be overseeing my tune so I know it will be 1st class 1st go

Looking forward to a drink or few with Lindsey and Mark in the weeks to come

Marty

Flashing the ECU can be undone by a visit to Nissan. They might do it during a service, because of some update that they've been instructed to supply in a TSB and not even tell you. You then have to go back to the tuner that did the retuning and get the ECU reflashed, which may remove the update.

That would be terrible if the Nissan-supplied update fixed, for instance, the high fuel consumption of the D40 King Cab series!

Unichip is also probably the only chip I'd consider in my own car, if I was to ever consider one.

Latest posts

Back