CHIP Vs tune Vs Chip and Tune

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
Hey guys!
After I get my 2inch lift and new 2.5 or 3" exhaust I'm thinking about getting either a tune or a chip?
Can you just simply get a plug and play unit for ecu and that will be fine? Or can I simply just get a tune ?
Any advice would be great!
A tune by itself is $1000 nzd and a chip is between 1-2000
:)

Sorry to be blunt, but don't waste your money.
You are not going to get that much more power out of a D22.
Buy a second hand Ranger if you want more power.

Sorry to be blunt, but don't waste your money.
You are not going to get that much more power out of a D22.
Buy a second hand Ranger if you want more power.

Really? I thought a 30% increase in torque and elimination of any lag/flat spots was pretty standard with any sort of chip or tune. It certainly was the case on my zd30. Night and Day. Cant really comment on the yd25 but there are plenty on here who claim great results from a tune. You're missing out, dude.

To the OP, sorry I cant be of much help. Ive had good results with $600 plug and play, but I'm a tightarse and its a different engine. Hopefully someone pipes up.
If you have a look around on here I'm sure you will find pages and pages of discussion on the topic that goes nowhere and ends in a lot of dick-swinging and dubious dyno results lol.

https://www.chipexpress.com/products/nissan/navara/diesel-chip-tuning-boxes/3185/
This is the "chip" i used. Its basically a transistor box - (although i think it does more than that)
I'm not sure how good these are on the YD25 but i had it on good authority that they are the best bang-for-buck on a zd30 and is all you need on that engine for a decent "tune"
I certainly wasnt disappointed with it.
Not sure if its ideal for the common rail engines or not though. Im no diesel tuner but i remember hearing something about how there are more parameters involved or something? Im not sure.

is the standard KW rating of the d-22 / 2.5 litre navara 97 kw ? HappyJohn has his d-22 tuned and now he gets 150 plus kw.

Hey thanks for the replys guus and trying to help even though different engines are different.
Good to hear that the plug and plays do make a difference and not just a trick the mind into thinking your truck has alot more power noq
Iv heard heaps of different stories some saying this and other that.
Yea the standard tune is 97kw. Wow 150.. that's a pretty big step up I probably wouldn't go that high

its a very good idea to replace the stock exhaust system as it is very restrictive , especially the dump pipe manifold.

Hey thanks for the replys guus and trying to help even though different engines are different.
Good to hear that the plug and plays do make a difference and not just a trick the mind into thinking your truck has alot more power noq
Iv heard heaps of different stories some saying this and other that.
Yea the standard tune is 97kw. Wow 150.. that's a pretty big step up I probably wouldn't go that high

I’ve been running around like that for five years now without a single issue. Remember the 98kw specification is done on an engine dyno and is read at the flywheel. You lose around 30% of power through the driveline so on the everyday dyno with the results taken at the wheels that 98kw would read as around 60 something kw’s.

I’ve been running around like that for five years now without a single issue. Remember the 98kw specification is done on an engine dyno and is read at the flywheel. You lose around 30% of power through the driveline so on the everyday dyno with the results taken at the wheels that 98kw would read as around 60 something kw’s.

Lol, so are you saying that you are making 150% more power on an otherwise fairly stock engine? Or acknowledging that dyno print outs can be done on "corrected" modes and "shootout" modes and can be tweaked very easily. I'm not saying you dont have an excellent tune, just sayin.
Remember that guy (milkman?) who got a flashtune done one day and was adamant he was making like 1750Nm at the tyres lol? Can anybody say gear reduction lol?
Dyno numbers really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I agree dyno numbers confuse everyone particularly Milkman lol. In my case when it was bog stock it made an embarrassing 93hp atw. 3 weeks later after all the mods we made between 152-159hp on the same dyno dependant on the tune and boost.

Pretty sure Infernal got the same results with a tune at 21psi, I’m only running 19. I’m hoping his new turbo replacement will be a success. It looks very promising :)

I agree dyno numbers confuse everyone particularly Milkman lol. In my case when it was bog stock it made an embarrassing 93hp atw. 3 weeks later after all the mods we made between 152-159hp on the same dyno dependant on the tune and boost.
Yeah ok, assuming everything is kosher that translates to maybe 160kw at the flywheel - 60-70% increase.

Really? I thought a 30% increase in torque and elimination of any lag/flat spots was pretty standard with any sort of chip or tune. It certainly was the case on my zd30. Night and Day. Cant really comment on the yd25 but there are plenty on here who claim great results from a tune. You're missing out, dude.

My post sounded worse than it was intended.
To get good numbers out of a YD25 you need to do more than just a tune or chip or both.
To get the best out of either you need a good quality exhaust system including a dump pipe.
Exhaust temps will be higher so that might be an issue down the track.

At the end of the day it could end up costing close to 5000 bucks to get what he wants.

Yes there are some guys out there that have had these systems in place but I am a firm believer that a standard tuned YD25 will last a hell a lot longer than one with a chip in it.

I have towed a work trailer (800kg) since day dot with mine and yes it can use more torque down low but I just adapt my driving technique to suit.

Yeah around 153kw at the flywheel, Rustynav09 made 149hp atw 3 years ago with basically everything I did. But he never had a stock run done and had aggressive 32’s. I had worn out 31’s when I did mine.

My post sounded worse than it was intended.
To get good numbers out of a YD25 you need to do more than just a tune or chip or both.
To get the best out of either you need a good quality exhaust system including a dump pipe.
Exhaust temps will be higher so that might be an issue down the track.

At the end of the day it could end up costing close to 5000 bucks to get what he wants.

Yes there are some guys out there that have had these systems in place but I am a firm believer that a standard tuned YD25 will last a hell a lot longer than one with a chip in it.

I have towed a work trailer (800kg) since day dot with mine and yes it can use more torque down low but I just adapt my driving technique to suit.

Fair enough, but keep an eye on egts, and as long as she's burning clean and not making too much nasty abrasive soot and heat, you are on a winner!

Yeah around 153kw at the flywheel, Rustynav09 made 149hp atw 3 years ago with basically everything I did. But he never had a stock run done and had aggressive 32’s. I had worn out 31’s when I did mine.
Yeah, ok,, I'm still a bit skeptical of some of these operators and the numbers they present to their customers. I always kind of wanted to do before and after runs on mine but never got around to it . ... its just a plug and play on top of one of rumpigs tunes which wasnt done on a dyno*... Im sure it could be a better but I'm happy with it - it pulls like a train and has proven reliable. Might trundle down to local dyno one day and get a few pulls in under a few different modes just for a laugh. Im sure i can get 3000Nm if i want to lol.

*and of course the taiwan turbo and other breathing mods.

Yeah, ok,, I'm still a bit skeptical of some of these operators and the numbers they present to their customers. I always kind of wanted to do before and after runs on mine but never got around to it . ... its just a plug and play on top of one of rumpigs tunes which wasnt done on a dyno*... Im sure it could be a better but I'm happy with it - it pulls like a train and has proven reliable. Might trundle down to local dyno one day and get a few pulls in under a few different modes just for a laugh. Im sure i can get 3000Nm if i want to lol.

*and of course the taiwan turbo and other breathing mods.

The thing is, some operators do a run showing Nm of torque, then others show tractive effort (just N). This is where people get confused. There is also no easy way to convert tractive effort (N) to Nm. The dyno really needs to be run in Nm to keep things equal.

That is what Milkman was showing on his dyno printout and why the results looked so good...

I agree regarding the operators giving dodgy figures and selling you shit you don’t need to make it go faster. 3000nm would be achievable if you use Milkman’s tuner.:ha:

Latest posts

Back