Running a winch off a battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
Hello all, its been a while since I last posted so hopefully you'll forgive my absence. I have an electrical/battery related question which I am hoping the brains trust might be able to help me out with (Old Tony is usually pretty good at this sort of stuff).

Firstly the background to my problem: I have recently bought a forward fold camper which weights 1.5tonne. At home we have a very steep driveway (around 3:1) and there isn't room at the top to drive up forwards and unhitch the trailer so I am having to reverse it up the driveway. Thanks to the turning circle of the navara (and my general ineptitude at reversing a trailer with accuracy) this invariably involves a few tries to get it lined up and then up the drive. Long story short I am quite concerned about burning my clutch out (the D40 is a manual) as I have already had to replace the clutch once.

My potential hair brained solution: The back of the trailer has two hitch receivers rated as recovery points and integral in the trailer chaise. I am thinking a good solution could be to mount a 4500lb winch on a hitch receiver cradle, stick it in the hitch receiver and then use this winch to haul the trailer up the driveway. I've already spoken to the camper manufacturer and he has agreed that while an unusual solution it wouldn't be a problem from a structural point of view.

My Question is related to powering this winch. I am thinking the ideal solution would be to power it from a battery specific to this job and not from my ute as it would be down the bottom of the driveway and too far away to be of use. I therefore see I have two options:

Option 1: The camper has 2x100AH deep cycle batteries on board. I could hard wire the winch to these and use them to run the winch. While I don't know a lot about batteries I am presuming this solution would be too easy and therefore not work. Would the deep cycle be the right sort of battery to run the load a winch would draw? Would 2x100AH be enough to run it for any meaningful length of time? Or am I just going to wreck the on board batteries doing this?

Option 2: I could have a dedicated truck battery in a battery box which is permanently connected to the winch. This could live in the garage at home with the winch where I could charge it off the mains when not in use. There is a place on the back of the trailer where the battery box could be placed securely when winching and it would need around 1m of cable form the winch to the battery. Would this be a feasible option, and if so how big a battery should I be looking at using? And what type of battery would be best?

The winch I am thinking of using is something like the one linked below. It states 180Amp when running and a wind rate of 1.3m/min. Our driveway slope is 8m long so would be running for around around 8minutes:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/X-BULL-4500LBS-2041kg-Electric-Winch-Synthetic-Rope-2-Remote-Wireless-ATV-12V-/172032218139?epid=676771799&hash=item280deb541b:g:440AAOSwQr5ZukpR

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Steven

Couple of points:

1) Do NOT use normal deep cycle batteries for any kind of serious amps. The batteries will be trashed very quickly. Deep cycle batteries are designed for long, slow, DEEP current draw, not fast shallow draw like a starter battery.

2) A 4500lb winch would draw about half what a 9,000lb (4300Kg) winch would, and they draw around 360-370A at full power, so I expect the claim made is actually correct.

3) At 180A you would be able to operate a typical 100Ah battery (without excessive damage) for (3600*(100/2)180)/60) = 16 minutes.

4) 16 minutes of continuous operation of a winch is decidedly not recommended.

So a good battery, fully charged, ought to work well as long as it doesn't take too long to complete the task and is charged up again soon afterwards.

I note that the advert doesn't cover the winching rate, but in reality it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to draw the 15m of rope back in. How far do you have to haul the trailer? If it's more than 15m you will have to apply brakes, remove extension and haul again?

hey mate, an old bloke that i used to work with had a similar problem with a boat so his solution was to mount a tow ball reciever to the front of his car, he said it was easier to steer the trailer and there was less pressure on the clutch in a forward gear how true any of this is i'm not sure but it sounds like it could work

The winch is too small . Buy a cheap full sized one and it will last forever. Mount it to the side of your shed with a pulley block in the middle wherever your potential anchor point was going to be and as the other fella was saying DONT usedeep cycle batteries for this.Use a starter battery. A full sized winch winds at about 10 metres a minute so you can spend the other 7 minutes having your first collie instead of watching paint dry for 8 minutes. I could hand winch it quicker...

Latest posts

Back