D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just filled up the 2013 ST after a trip away.

One of the better tanks I have ever done, 90% highway driving at speed limit 90/100/110 zones and a little bit of running around the burbs.

Fully loaded with 3 adults, 2 kids and packed with gear and air blasting away.

Managed to get 660.2k's out of 56.06L - 8.49LPH.
Not too bad considering I had cruise(george) on most of the time.

Hi all recently acquired a 2013 ST Navara which is stock bar 20 x 9 KMS addicts and 275 Cooper AT3's. First tank of fuel I got 700 kms before the low fuel light came on. Filled her up because I wasn't sure how much fuel was in the tank and was surprised it still took 11 litres. I averaged 9.4 for city driving in a brand new car which I was really impressed with suspect I could have run to at least 740 on the tank in safety as the speedo count down indicated.

Adam

2008 Automatic D40 "Outlaw"...

Can't get any better than 560 outta the tank with the "fill up soon" light a-glowing for the last 10km....

New timing chain and all - made SFA Difference...

The 1st half of the tank takes near on 350km - and the second half it plunges off the mountain and it's LIGHTS ABLAZE by 540km...

Thats highway.. city... whatever.. It's like it's programmed to use THAT AMOUNT by that km's..

I can get near 500km outta my supercharged V8 on highway driving.. mmmmmm

Just got back from holidays yesterday, towing the caravan against that howling wind. My D40 is a Spanish built STX 2007 automatic (with DPF) so you might guess what's coming. I filled up at Lakes Entrance, drove 334km and it took 67 litres to fill up again. The 'van is a pop-top single axle with 60PSI air pressure in the tyres, 1900kg tare and probably 2200kg loaded up. The car has the EGR mod, a catch-can and nothing else that could possibly affect fuel economy. Car tyres are 2 month old, at 40psi. The car couldn't hold 5th gear/lock-up unless going down hill so I spent most of the trip at 2600-2700 rpm doing 90-95 km/h. It used just over 1/2 a tank on the way up, I'd reckon about 45 litres, going on past experience with the fuel gauge.

2008 Automatic D40 "Outlaw"... Can't get any better than 560 outta the tank with the "fill up soon" light a-glowing for the last 10km.... New timing chain and all - made SFA Difference... The 1st half of the tank takes near on 350km - and the second half it plunges off the mountain and it's LIGHTS ABLAZE by 540km... Thats highway.. city... whatever.. It's like it's programmed to use THAT AMOUNT by that km's.. I can get near 500km outta my supercharged V8 on highway driving.. mmmmmm

I'm the same as you mate

2007 d40 rx 2.5td 155thou kms running on 31" big horns,egr blocked off and 3.25" exhaust dump straight thru .. i get 700 kms on 65lt around town and 950 on hwy on average of 65lts.. best iv had is 1257kms from full to choking to make the last 5 meters to diesel pump at caltex.. fuel economy was crap when i bought it july last year 12 to 14lt/100 but blocking the egr off,exhaust system and doing a full oil flush, and fuel system flush and only running caltex vortex diesel has made the world of difference.

Define 'full oil flush'.

I've blocked the EGR. I've put litres of 'injector cleaner' in it and recently found out it has no cat. I removed the DPF and put a straight through pipe in.

The only difference is mine is stock exhaust. Surely there is not 200km in an exhaust system?!?

Mine gets 550 and then lights on. It's like clock work.

oil flush as in chemtec make a oil additive that you add and run for 15 to 20 mins prior to droping the oil, a diesel fitter at work put me onto it.. it cleans the internal of the engine and frees up all built up carbon and crap.. you only really should do this every 4th or 5th oil change.. but i did it the first time on the old oil then drove around for a week on the new oil and did the flush again.. even now 20 000 kms or 4oil changes later (yes i do mine every 5 000 kms) my oil comes out some what clean..

I put some of that Preventative Maintenance oil flush in. Let the engine fast idle for 20
Mins then dropped the oil. It was black - but then the EGR had not been blocked at that stage and we know that sends oil black instantly. What is this chemtec flush like??

2.5l 2013 Manual. 1500km on the ODO . I'm getting around 9.6 kmh driving mainly highway and country roads not towing . 50/50 cruise control.

Does this sound about right ?

I have a 2013 ST 2.5 and I was getting around 9ltrs/100 around town, this was on standard tyres. I'm now running 265/75/17 and consumption has risen to 11ltrs/100.
That's around town figuires, I think I will see maybe 10,s on longer hwy runs.

Just hit 5000k , total avg 8.2l/100k , first 1250k 9.6l egr plate fitted and economy got better, driving mainly highway ,town and frequent beach driving , (not to boast but at least 2 times a week)

History on my ute.

07/2011 build STX Manual with the 140kw engine.

Stock other than EGR block off.

From new I was getting 7.4 lts per 100, tank after tank, mainly country back roads on way to work, could run to 1000km per tanks before the light come on, easy.

At around 5000km fitted a K&N panel filter and dropped 0.2 lts per 100. Same style of driving.

At about 15,000km I fitted a steel tray, tool boxes( approx. 600kg weight), 2” lift, 265-70 17 Mud tyres and ARB winch bar (no winch at this point) tow bar.
Each major item added about 1 lt per 100, tyres were the worst, they were 1.2 lts per 100, tray and tool boxes were 1 lt per 100 and the bulbar was just under a litre per 100.

I ran like this for the next 55,000km with an average of 9.9 to 10.2 per 100 week in week out, I removed the cat and reduced fuel use by 1 lt per 100 with much better torque.

I refitted the stock tray about 3 months ago, I still had the muddies etc and was running at 8.6lt per 100, very easy country road driving.

I now have AT tyres in 265-65-17 fitted.

Sitting on 8.2 lts per 100 as of this morning fill but that tank was a partial as in I had the mud tyres for the first 700km of the tank, so the next tank will be a test to see how she goes.

All numbers are real numbers from the bowser and the speedo but corrected for the 4% it was out with the muddies.

My advice is if you want economy run stock size and AT or smoother tyres, leave all the roof racks and crap off if you don’t need it, run your tyres at 40psi and drive at 95-100kph on the highway.

Speed is a huge factor, on a trip to and from Sydney last year, I was driving and doing the 110km limit, in my wives 150 series auto D4D Prado, it sits on 8.8lts per 100km everywhere.
On the trip home after filling both the Prado and my sons Brand new 2.5 Triton twin cab 4x4 manual, he was on his red “P” and had a 90k speed limit, so for the trip home I followed him we sat on a GPS and speedo indicated 86kph on cruise control the whole way.

Economy for the Prado 5.9 lts per 100km on the dash readout and a real 6 lts per 100km when I filled it just to see if it was right, trip length was 204km

Sons brand new triton has no dash readout for fuel use, but it used 5.6 lts per 100 at the bowser, it now has 33,000km on it and still uses under 7 lts per 100 everywhere he goes. He is a very SLOW driver, sitting 5 to 10km under the limit just about everywhere he goes.
He now has a X-Rox bar and 13,000lb winch fitted, they added 1lt per 100km straight up.

An update on my Ute,

It now has done 2000km on the new 265-65-17 Hankook AT's and the fuel use has dropped.

Dash readout was on 8.1 but using a real 8.6lts per 100 with the Muddies.

Now dash reading is on 7.2 and using 7.8 lts per 100 for last 2 tanks, no towing, just going to work and back.

Much better place to sit without those humming tyres too, I can now hear the radio, or even wind down the windows.

Fuel economy

You guys that are getting worse fuel economy with larger tyres try doing a test using a GPS for mileage. I found that after putting 265/75/R16 on compared to the original Hwy tyres the speedo was dead accurate compared to 5kph out. I am actually doing 5 klm more per 100 than my speedo reads as the tyre has a larger circumference and you travel further each rotation than the speedo is calibrated for.

You guys that are getting worse fuel economy with larger tyres try doing a test using a GPS for mileage. I found that after putting 265/75/R16 on compared to the original Hwy tyres the speedo was dead accurate compared to 5kph out. I am actually doing 5 klm more per 100 than my speedo reads as the tyre has a larger circumference and you travel further each rotation than the speedo is calibrated for.

Yep, that's absolutely correct - you might make the speedo needle look like it's showing the right speed, but your ECU now doesn't have speed OR distance correct any more and you need to account for that in your mileage.

=IF(E159>0;(E159-F159+G159)/(C159*1.02/100);" ")

That's the precise formula for when I had tyres that were 2% larger than standard. Column E contains litres filled into the tank, F contains litres bought and put in jerry cans, column G contains how many litres put into the tank from jerry cans and column C is the number of km done since the last fill.

Digital display on speedo shows 9.2 to 9.4 Lts per 100 km. Driving around Brisbane.Vehicle is a 2.5 diesel auto with only 4000 km on the clock. Great vehicle so far.

Latest posts

Back