Lower Steering column Joint

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJ22

Reaction score
Don't know if this one's been covered but I cant seem to find any info on this...So was looking at the steering column last night as I have a bit of play in the steering and noticed that the lower column is only attached by about 20mm into the main Steering Column.
Is this normal? It doesn't look right to me.
thumbnail_IMG_5049.jpg

thumbnail_Image-1.jpg
Looks like the splines need to be fully inserted as it has receiving groves all the way up the inside but the column is barely in by about 20mm?

I did have a look at another d22 today and it looked to be similar but could not tell if they were out by the same amount or not, and if he had the same problem or is it normal?!!
It just doesn't look right, why would you have 3 inches of splines only to put it in by half an inch and have 2.5 inches of space still to go on the inside?

Are all D22's like this?? It all looks a bit strange to me to be honest.

Cheers

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5047.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5047.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 67
apparently this is normal in the production of the steering shaft assembly on the D-22,s. i asked this same question so time ago and replies were, thats normal mine is the same etc etc. i know you would think the shaft should go into the universal joint atleast another 10mm as there is room for it and stuffed if i know why they didn,t do it properly in the first place. just make sure the bolts are tight and it won,t move or slip. actually this issue should have been re called .

Thanks Jonney, yea its very strange, especially when you can see groves inside all the way up, I actually found an article about a recall on the Frontier's in America, It was a recall for a problem with the lower joint but was only in relation to 2000-2004 models, Mine is a 2012 but it just got me a bit paranoid after seeing that thing clinging on to the column with 10mm!! Well at least I know its not just slipped out. Thanks

As far as I know the machined shoulder on the shaft that allows space for the locking bolt ends before the tip of the shaft, so the bolt would need to come out completely for the shaft to be able to come free.

I have not looked at a D22 shaft specifically to check that but all the other steering column shafts I have played with have been that way.

The shaft should have been atleast 1 inch plus longer so more of the Spline end could fit into the female spline end .

Latest posts

Back