EGR Blank and Valve Failure (she's dead,solved)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy_jay89

Reaction score
so after dropping my mother off at the airport, on my way home the car lost power and started to bellow large amounts of black smoke

pulled over turned the car off

then it wouldnt start kinda like it semi starts..

had to get it towed to my mechanic

now its the long wait till it gets looked at

she may need a heart transplant..

so if anyone knows of any engines around let me know

Not good at all. Large amounts of black smoke in a diesel generally means overfuelling, which could mean under-airing.

That would mean it could be the turbocharger actuator - more likely the vacuum hoses have let go. It could be the MAFS in the intake just off the air filter is dirty. Might also be the return signal from the fuel rail pressure sensor - and if you have it chipped, disable the chip and see what happens.

I'm betting something turbo related, either oil getting into the air intake or turbo just not boosting.

Why does everyone assume the turbo. White smoke generally indicates an oil/turbo. While black smokes indicates a fuel problem

It's a fuel problem. What UltraTune could work out was its most probably under or over fueling

I will also leaning towards Turbo -
If there are no air coming to burn that diesel it will blow black smoke

Happened to my Trol (lucky not turbo) but the inter cooler hose raptures.
It doesn't build up pressure means that not enough air going in - the trol
blows black smoke because of un-burnt fuel.

Got my hoses fix, now the trol starts ok, holds pressure, no more black smoke
and runs better because of new hi-flow inter cooler and silicon hoses.

hope your one is the same as mine

I spent $120 for all hoses and $380 for the hi-flow inter cooler

installed it myself

yeah lets hope its as simple as that...

but in worst case im putting a newer, lower km engine in.... (probs be cheaper)

I'm assuming turbo because black smoke is a sure sign that the diesel being injected doesn't have enough air to completely burn. I'll list as many reasons for that as possible:

1) Turbocharger is not spooling as well as it should - boost pressure is too low reducing air volume present in combustion chamber. Usually due to loose/cracked vacuum lines on the actuator.

2) Turbo boost pressure sensor is faulty. Directly related to how hard the ECU tells the turbocharger to provide boost (adjusting vanes). This sensor is low on the intercooler on the battery side.

3) MAFS sensor is dirty/faulty. This may or may not trigger a separate error code and push the car into limp mode. Cleaning must ONLY be done with electrical contact cleaner as the inner wire that does the work is highly sensitive.

4) Fuel rail pressure sensor return value too low. This is how many performance chips work - they reduce the return voltage on this signal proportional to the amount of throttle being applied. More intelligently produced chips (Unichip, ChipIt) also adjust turbocharger response so that not only is more fuel added, but more air too. It would be interesting to see a graph of your fuel rail pressures vs engine rpm vs throttle vs engine load to see what's happening with the fuel pump in response to the other inputs.

5) Dirty air filter. Usually this is picked up by the ECU through a combination of engine RPM (provides volumetric flow expected), boost pressure and MAFS flow rate.

6) Faulty/erratic connection on the ECU itself. Has to be mentioned, it happened recently to another member here. Also had a member here with debris in the injector connectors.

My brain's a little numb now. The most common cause - especially given the age of your car - is the vacuum hoses on the actuator. They're thin little hoses right next to the hottest part of the engine and they're always going to suffer - and often do. It's not your turbocharger itself that's being suspected - it's the control of the turbocharger's vanes which is one by the actuator which is controlled by vacuum. Oddly enough, the vacuum pump is over on the other side of the engine near the fuel pump, so it would pay to check all the hoses all the way over to there.

Checking them is cheap, often overlooked and sometimes missed by even the most careful observer. If you can TURN the hose on the barb, replace it. It should hold tight on the connectors.

It could be as simple as that, and I for one hope it is!

I'm assuming turbo because black smoke is a sure sign that the diesel being injected doesn't have enough air to completely burn. I'll list as many reasons for that as possible:

1) Turbocharger is not spooling as well as it should - boost pressure is too low reducing air volume present in combustion chamber. Usually due to loose/cracked vacuum lines on the actuator.

2) Turbo boost pressure sensor is faulty. Directly related to how hard the ECU tells the turbocharger to provide boost (adjusting vanes). This sensor is low on the intercooler on the battery side.

3) MAFS sensor is dirty/faulty. This may or may not trigger a separate error code and push the car into limp mode. Cleaning must ONLY be done with electrical contact cleaner as the inner wire that does the work is highly sensitive.

4) Fuel rail pressure sensor return value too low. This is how many performance chips work - they reduce the return voltage on this signal proportional to the amount of throttle being applied. More intelligently produced chips (Unichip, ChipIt) also adjust turbocharger response so that not only is more fuel added, but more air too. It would be interesting to see a graph of your fuel rail pressures vs engine rpm vs throttle vs engine load to see what's happening with the fuel pump in response to the other inputs.

5) Dirty air filter. Usually this is picked up by the ECU through a combination of engine RPM (provides volumetric flow expected), boost pressure and MAFS flow rate.

6) Faulty/erratic connection on the ECU itself. Has to be mentioned, it happened recently to another member here. Also had a member here with debris in the injector connectors.

My brain's a little numb now. The most common cause - especially given the age of your car - is the vacuum hoses on the actuator. They're thin little hoses right next to the hottest part of the engine and they're always going to suffer - and often do. It's not your turbocharger itself that's being suspected - it's the control of the turbocharger's vanes which is one by the actuator which is controlled by vacuum. Oddly enough, the vacuum pump is over on the other side of the engine near the fuel pump, so it would pay to check all the hoses all the way over to there.

Checking them is cheap, often overlooked and sometimes missed by even the most careful observer. If you can TURN the hose on the barb, replace it. It should hold tight on the connectors.

It could be as simple as that, and I for one hope it is!

dont have a chip too worry about,

already checked all lines and hoses,

its likely a FUEL problem,

it already had a every now and then issue of going into limp mode after the rail gets an over pressurizing signal

since it kept going away i put in on the back burner....

the Maf was cleaned recently as too the are filter so thats out...

its due for a service but the fuel filter is only 10k kms old

only options left are the SCV the Fuel pump injectors or the fuel Rail

Difficult to take a guess from what you have said. So how does a semi start? Most diesel old style purely mechanical engines will fire on the first compression.

Black smoke- way over fueling usually, could be a myriad of things. Fuel pump over fueling for some reason, could be something simple like a vac hose, injector tip broken, could be turbo/induction related, like not enough air= black smoke.

Perhaps a little more specific with the symptoms may help us have a guess.
Be interesting to see what went wrong.

Not saying it is but i wouldnt rule out the MAFS just because it got cleaned, i have read of a few people that have tried cleaning only to find out in the end the MAFS was stuffed.

semi start...

turn the key and it begins to crank over, starts up, really ruff (shakey)

revs shift between 200 and 750rpm

after a cple seconds it stalls

more often than not it just cranks but no ignition

you get a weird smell from the engine, kinda like fuel mixed with plastic mixed with garlic (yeah weird i know)

when it last stay on.. it had no power like it was in limp mode but worse

very little throttle response.

it would rev above 3k rpm but still no power, (when it does go into limp mode, revs would be limited to about 2k rpm)

i was going to have another quick look before its back on the tow truck in the morning and see if i missed anything ( when it did die, i was on a 40hr no sleep high, so i may have missed something)

Sounds like a sensor problem to me. I'd say either fuel pressure sensor or tps. Have you tried an ecu reset yet?

Latest posts

Back