DIY Disc Brake Pad Replacement.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drool, a hoist is what should of bought but i didnt build the shed high enough, bought a $300 trolley jack, big, wide and stable

A good trolley jack goes a long way though. It's a long way off yet till I get my own place, but I've got plans. I'll have the nav for touring (unless I've upgraded to a patrol - if ever they sort out a good diesel engine!) and some kind of bush bashy rock crawler monstrosity that's lives on a car trailer.

Cheers josh thats a great write up - I know that I have to have a look at the wheel bearings in the near future so this will go a long way to helping out with even more vehicle maintenance

alright, i've done my reaer drums brakes this evening, so after a few chores in the morning tomorrow i'll try and get a DIY out for that.

Dave said:
Nice write up.

What pads did you use ?

Thanks, the front pads were bendix brand, specific for a 4wd and the rear drum shoes are just a generic brand I think, they feel alright under the pedal though, I need to adjust the rear shoes some more and possibly bleed the rear lines again. But thems be jobs for the daylight.

I had Bendix in my Nav, I hated them. Got heaps of shuddering, there to hard. Did around 5000-10,000km's and ripped them out.

I put Nissan pads back in it.

Nice write up josh and I will use it sometime. Any reason you didn't replace rotors at same time as pads. I've always been told to replace them at the same time. As new pads will bed themselves into all the grooves in the old pads then when new rotors go on the are pretty much got grooves all through them from old rotors. So it won't be long till new rotors have grooves all through them.

Nice write up josh and I will use it sometime. Any reason you didn't replace rotors at same time as pads. I've always been told to replace them at the same time. As new pads will bed themselves into all the grooves in the old pads then when new rotors go on the are pretty much got grooves all through them from old rotors. So it won't be long till new rotors have grooves all through them.

time, knowledge of such things, i ordered some rotors this arvo, should have them early-mid next week, then hopefully install them next weekend or over easter, i also plan to install new brake calipers while i'm at it, one of the pistons on teh drivers side was pretty siezed when i did the pad change. just need to source them

I had Bendix in my Nav, I hated them. Got heaps of shuddering, there to hard. Did around 5000-10,000km's and ripped them out.

I put Nissan pads back in it.

yeah, i've got a bit of shuddering in my front end under really hard braking, but i had that to an extent before i changed pads, so i'm gonna do the rotors and calipers and see if that make a difference, if not, then back to nissan pads probably... or a new set of bendix with the new rotors.

Just a random question but when you have air in your line (as i suspect that i do) does the air push forward to the bleed end when you brake?? 9under normal driving conditions) or does it stay where ever it is in the line.

It goes to the caliper and forces air into the piston, the pads will release rather that grab the disc.
If you do have air in the system, bleed it from the caliper end.

Thanks Tony, i replaced all the fluid in my system awhile ago but was on my own and since its been a bit spongy, ill get the boss lady out to help tonight. just wanted to make sure it doesn't just sit in the line but travels down to the calliper end. cheers

Latest posts

Back