Diesel Particle Filter break down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I'd make sure I bought fuel from Shell, Caltex, BP or Mobil. Not necessarily in that order - I put a tank of BP in mine and got poor mileage, but want to try another after a couple of "typical" tanks to see if it wasn't just driving style.

I'd be careful about buying fuel from United, Farmers' Fuel, Mogas, Gull .... check my Biodiesel thread for ones to really steer clear of (any with 20% bio should be avoided).

Look in my post above for the criteria the ECU has to meet to conduct a regen cycle. It's quite specific, apparently.

As for Scanguage - it might be able to input the codes, but you need to know what codes the Scanguage needs to make it happen. I'm not sure that Nissan's own Consult-II device can force a regen, it's a function available in the Consult-III.

As for error codes, there's a list of them in the manual. If I feel energetic, I might grab them later and post them in the D40 forum as a new thread, so that we can add things to it like "This command in a Scanguage gives you 15,000psi boost and 20 gazillion hp!"

Or something like that, anyway.

Look in my post above for the criteria the ECU has to meet to conduct a regen cycle. It's quite specific, apparently.

it shouldn't need a regen cycle in the first place. usually they rely on exhaust heat from normal driving to burn off the soot. its when the exhaust dosn't get hot enough that the DPF blocks up and then regen is used.

Just a matter of time with the DPFs - the X-Trails have them now. The thing cuts down emissions, with a minor cost in power and fuel consumption figures. Since we're all focusing on what's green, the average Joe will go "couple of % drop in power to lose a bunch of emissions - I'll buy it".

a couple of % in power is not actually true.

you have to remember that DPF's are used to clean up all the soot which is due to the high amount of EGR used.
with no EGR you have very little soot being produced but a lot of NOx.
you loose a bit of power and economy from pouring in the EGR, then you loose more due to the cat to clean up the CO etc (side effect of using EGR) and then you loose a bit more with the DPF to clean up the soot.

this is why they are trying to make NOx filters. then you can do away with EGR, cat and DPF and just have one filter to clean out the NOx.

Does anyone know how one would do a forced regeneration (burn) if you are stuck in the middle of the bush? A recent discussion with a dealer suggested you would need a Consult scan unit but they are not readily available in the bush (there is one in the entire Pilbara of WA)

I'm wondering if an Ebay scan unit, or perhaps even the a Scangauge, would be able to initiate the burn or at least clear the error code??

Does anyone know how one would do a forced regeneration (burn) if you are stuck in the middle of the bush?

I don't think it's possible. I discovered the method used to force a regen and detailed it here, in my post on page 4 of this thread.

I'd imagine that you'd need to be somewhere near a service station at the very least because I'm guessing that it uses a fair bit of fuel. You also need an oil + oil filter change when done. The forced burn is definitely not something to contemplate in remote areas!

I think it would be easier to find a way of tricking the ECU into starting the regen cycle on its own.

I don't think it's possible. I discovered the method used to force a regen and detailed it here, in my post on page 4 of this thread.

I'd imagine that you'd need to be somewhere near a service station at the very least because I'm guessing that it uses a fair bit of fuel. You also need an oil + oil filter change when done. The forced burn is definitely not something to contemplate in remote areas!

I think it would be easier to find a way of tricking the ECU into starting the regen cycle on its own.

An oil and filter change is something that Nissan do as a matter of 'procedure'. It doesn't have to be done. I'm sure in an emergency you could get away with it. I'll speak to my service agent up here and see what he has to say and post his response.

At about $4K each the Consult 3 might be a little extravagant to carry in case an issue pops up with the DPF. I was hoping a cheap scan tool might be able to clear the error or turn the DPF light off taking the car out of limp mode.

I was hoping a cheap scan tool might be able to clear the error or turn the DPF light off taking the car out of limp mode.

The only problem with that, of course, is that the pressure differential across the DPF would trigger the ECU into limp mode again.

Although - and you might be onto something here - if you clear the condition the right way, when the ECU senses the pressure difference it might trigger a regen, if the other conditions are met (light load, >80km/h or >1600rpm, engine temp normal).

If we can achieve that - and even better, with some obscure sequence of in-car controls so that we don't need a tool at all - we might hit the jackpot.

UPDATE: Ok, got a reply to my last letter from the wonderful folks at Nissan. They again have referred me back to the repairer saying it is my responsibility to prove there was a fault with the vehicle. They have failed to answer any of the questions i put to them and then finished the letter off by rudely saying "this matter is now closed and we can no longer help with this inquiry any further."

The sad reality out of all this is that they haven't helped at all.

Now, who do i serve the summons on to take them to the small claims court of WA?? The Customer Service Manager, Warranty Manager or CEO??? I have no idea. Nissan have refused to supply me with the names of the GM or CEO so i can CC them into my letters. I can't see them supplying me with names so i can summons them to court.

Any ideas anyone?

Now, who do i serve the summons on to take them to the small claims court of WA?? The Customer Service Manager, Warranty Manager or CEO??? I have no idea. Nissan have refused to supply me with the names of the GM or CEO so i can CC them into my letters. I can't see them supplying me with names so i can summons them to court.

Any ideas anyone?[/QUOTE]

Your issue is not with a single person, it is with the NISSAN MOTOR COMPANY OF AUSTRALIA. That is who you serve
The company will have to provide a person to represent them.
Rd's

^^ Exactly. Just be sure that you get the company name correct.

One of the easiest defenses in a legal matter is in this sort of situation (and it happens, very regularly):

Plaintiff: Mr John Smith
Defendant: Nissan Motor Company Of Australia Limited

Defense: "We, Nissan Motor Company Of Australia Pty Limited, are not the defendant named in the summons".

They can even refuse on a misplaced full stop.

^^ Exactly. Just be sure that you get the company name correct.

One of the easiest defenses in a legal matter is in this sort of situation (and it happens, very regularly):

Plaintiff: Mr John Smith
Defendant: Nissan Motor Company Of Australia Limited

Defense: "We, Nissan Motor Company Of Australia Pty Limited, are not the defendant named in the summons".

They can even refuse on a misplaced full stop.

I believe the correct entity for the summons should be:

NISSAN MOTOR Co (Australia) Pty Ltd

I'll do some WEB research over the coming weeks and with the Dept of Commerce here in WA to see if that's correct.

Actually....I do believe according to the Trade Practices Act (Federal legislation which overrides any state legislation should the two conflict) that your warranty agreement is with your selling dealer. So any legal complaint is with them.

Am happy to be proven incorrect, however that is my understanding.

Actually....I do believe according to the Trade Practices Act (Federal legislation which overrides any state legislation should the two conflict) that your warranty agreement is with your selling dealer. So any legal complaint is with them.

Am happy to be proven incorrect, however that is my understanding.

Ants

I disagree. Nissan Australia pay any warranty claims no matter what dealer any repairs are done by. They are the ones in this instance that have refused to accept the claim. The dealer i purchased the new car through have been excellent and scathing of Nissan Australia's attitude and lack of service.

Having said that, i'm happy to be proven wrong. So, if anyone out there has any opinions i am more than happy to hear from you.

I'm lucky enough to have a very good friend who works for the DPP over here in WA. I'll be speaking to them before putting anything legal to paper. Having said that, if it looks as though it'll get to hard then i'll be chasing the $$ from the dealer. I've been easy on them so far.

Nissan and the dealer have an agreement that Nissan will pay the dealer to service agreed warranty issues. That however does not override your warranty agreement with the dealer. Any agreement between the dealer and the manufacturer is THEIR agreement - not yours.

Nissan and the dealer have an agreement that Nissan will pay the dealer to service agreed warranty issues. That however does not override your warranty agreement with the dealer. Any agreement between the dealer and the manufacturer is THEIR agreement - not yours.

So, you are saying that the dealer i had the repairs done by, who i didn't purchase the car through, foots the bill for the warranty repairs and then chases Nissan Australia to be reimbursed??

I'm thinking at this stage rather than summonsing Nissan to court i'll chase up the dealer i purchased the vehicle through.

Last edited:
yes, however dealer rings nissan first who says no so they say no to you. end of the day its nissans call, dealers can often get caught in the middle especially when dealers probably get paid a cut rate.

Latest posts

Back