Diesel Particle Filter break down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum, Dragonsman.

It could be your fuel rail pressure sensor, or the boost pressure sensor - or even more commonly, a dirty MAFS.

The very first thing I'd try is clean that MAFS. It will cost you a few good squirts of electrical contact cleaner.

The MAFS is sitting in the rear of the air pipe that comes out of the air filter box - it's only a couple of cm from the box. Undo the nut, carefully remove it and give it a good spray. Don't drop or damage it - it's $400 or so and when it gets dirty or faulty it will affect the fuel mixture and it can easily trigger limp mode.

Thanks Old tony, i'll try cleaning it tommorow.

The other curious thing, that i should have mentioned is that the tank of fuel prior to the one i'm on and the trouble, gave me 10.6L/100 which is really good for me.

Also i've noticed fuel consumption jumps around between 11.5 and 12.3 is this a natural variationw it fuel quality / driving behaviour or symtomatic of one of these other sensors giving out.

I've never noticed any performance issues, limp mode was only triggered by DPF.

I'll le you know how i go.

OK i went and cleaned it just now. Did look a bit dirty, couldn't really see the wires, bu the body of the thing had definite black gunk on it, kind of looked like oily residue. Air filter looks good though.

New tank of fuel today, will see how it goes tommorow.

its exactly the reason why people were buying our DPF Delete pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290537029086#ht_13169wt_1392

When the factory unit starts playing up or people are just sick of the fuel economy etc just replace the DPF with this and be done with it.

If you want to make one yourself just be sure to place the sensors in the exact same position or it wont work. Had an exhaust shop ring me n3 months ago and ask me to tell him what is wrong with his home grown product as his was bringing up a CEL. I said, "so you want me to help you be my competition?" He said "well yes" GIGGLE

Anyway, I would be happy to help forum guys where they need help

One trick I learnt is if you have the DPF light on and you then fit our Race pipe you need to start the engine and shove your shoe onto the exhaust tail pipe and cause some back pressure for 30 seconds or so. the factory ecu will have what it is looking for and turn off the DPF light. It worked for us anyway

Also I will soon have in sydney a Nissan type diag unit that will force a regen. So I can help people here in Sydney if they are stuck.

Cheers

Robert

Hi guys,

Just thought is share my experience with the DPF.

I have a 06 STX Auto (spain) with 150,000kms on it. I bought it 30,000Kms ago and did the first 20,000 without too much trouble - fuel economy around 11.5 L/100.

I initially didn't notice too much smoke.

About a month ago the DPF light came on after travelling for about 100kms on open country roads. I continued to drive as the manual stated drive at 80. LIMP MODE - and i'm stuck, literally in a 4wd situation *&*&*%&*.

$600 bucks and 3 days at J.T. Fossey Tamworth. Back in action. They replaced one of the sensors which apparently meant it wouldn't regenerate. The dealer initially told me they couldn't regenerate it and the dpf was rooted.

Monday this week DPF warnign light again. Drove it at 5,000 rpms up a big hill, warning light comes off after 10mins (or so).

Today 300kms after last warning light - DPF warning light drove it like a work car (almost hoping it would blow up), the warning light stayed on for 30 mins. When i got home ignition off and back on again - warning light is off.

A couple of things are concerning me here. A few people have started to comment about the level of smoke when under load (up hills) which wasn't apparent before. Now, i can't notice it so it's not a huge amount but it's there with a DPF?

Could the excess smoke be causing the sensors to clog up, thereby tripping the DPF light?

And if so why do i have excess smoke?

I am considering buying the DPF delete pipe as it appears my DPF is on it's way out after 6 years and 150,000kms. But i don't like blowing smoke - anyone got any suggestions as to what could be causing the smoke? Also if it's the sensors more than the DPF clogging - in theory i will blow the same smoke and the sensors will still clog up.

Is there a way of cleaning the sensors?

Any help will be appreciated - starting to get the shits with the thing.

Well 20kms into today and guess what DPF light. Thats 20km after it just came off, sitting at 100kms/hr.

It came off again after putting the boot in, but not sure how long this can go one for. To make things worse ruined a good tyre today.

Stupid things a money pit.

anyway, i've booked it into Nissan to get error codes and a reset.

Now i will delete the dpf, however if the dpf is supposed to stop particulate emissions (i.e. smoke), why the hell have i smoke coming out the back of the ute now?

I'm concerned it's actually the sensors that are ruined and not the DPF itself?

The smoke is not a huge amount just under load, and i can't tell what colour it is.

Update:

A fair bit of water has flown under the bridge.

I have previously done the EGR mod. I decided to check the plate for leakage etc and got cariied away. Fair dinkum, someone had shoved a jar of vegemite in my intake, i am not convicned any air was actually getting to the motor. There is a tube that goes in from the EGR input and it took quiet a bit of releasing. If you do the EGR mod, clean out the intake while your at it. (I had 150,000kms of shit in there)

Anyway, the engine sputtered for a bit after starting and once it learnt to cope with the fresh air it was a similar gain to doing the EGR itself, purring like a kitten.

I have noticed a clear reduction in smoke out the back of the ute as a result, although i'm probably taking more notice now.

In addition i bought a Bluetooth EML plug in and downloaded the torque app for android. I have driven it for a while keeping an eye on things and not seeing any problems. numbers look consistent and the ute appears to be running well.

So, here i am thinking everything is good, well few days later DPF light, once again i flogged the thing in 2nd and overdrive and it went off. So it does appear that my DPF is rooted.

Just waiting on Chip Its delete pipe. I am seriously hoping this will fix this problem.

I had to twist my wifes arm and nearly sell my motorbike project to get this ute, i have invested a lot of time and energy now, and am determined to make this work, plus i'm kinda liking the bloody thing!

Good to hear there's been some progress, although the DPF light is still a worry. If you had the V6 diesel you might consider the 7th injector to be a possible culprit.

Before you put the DPF Delete pipe in, make sure the car's not trying to do a regen. If it is, you'll blow clouds of white smoke.

great post Dragonman.

good to hear also that you did the hard yards to clean the manifold out completely.

it is truly amazing that the manufacturers get away with producing a produce that is only made to pass the emissions laws and soon afterwards lumber the owner with many other problems.

But it is what it is as they say.

If others need a DPF let me know directly at [email protected]

I can look after you as forum members as always. (same applies to the chip which attracts 10% discount)

An EGR blanking plate will also be provided free of charge

PS If others can post this in the relevant threads or let other know ... thanks.

Hello
I have a 2008 D40 King Cab it has done 75000km
Tuesday 17 July I lost power not knowing what it was I booked my car in to see the local mechanic on the Friday he serviced the car fully and replace a cracked turbo pipe which then gave me back the car good as new. Come Saturday morning the PDF light comes on so straight back to the mechanics I go which I was told drive the car on freeway 100km 20 mins etc.
So Sunday 22 July 2012 my car dpf was still on and as I tried to clear it the car went into limp mode, Monday morning back down at the local mechanic he tried to clear what thought was a blockage in the pdf which he thinks he did by running the car on the hoist about 95km for 30 mins the he thought dumping oil and putting fresh stuff might help and try again etc. . He has given up on trying to get the car out of limp mode and he thinks its best I take the car to Nissan and get them to do a force regen and if that doesn’t work it will need to be replaced at lots $$$ which then a new DPF needs to be sent from Thailand which is going to take time, I am after any ideas trying to get it of limp mode and then stop it from happening again.
I had no idea about what the PDF was until I started doing research when I was told how much these were to replace late on Monday night.
The biggest problem is I need my car for work so no car no work no money
Is there a Quick Fix?
Cheers Marc

i know of a person who was trying to sell a complete 07 3" exhaust with a dpf delete pipe and all the bungs for the sensors. originally, his dpf shat itself and he couldn't clear the error codes. with the new system he still couldn't clear them, and nissan wouldn't do it for him either unless he had a dpf in place. so, he had to buy a new dpf to get them cleared. after alll the drama and cost, he chose to get rid of the car, and now the exhaust. i wanted to buy it for my06 auto(non dpf)but i have been told they run a slightly different turbo. so, it seems if you want that delete pipe on, make sure the car is running ok first, don't do it as a fix.
this 07 exhaust had 5 bungs for different sensors, my 06 has not 1

Hello
I have a 2008 D40 King Cab it has done 75000km
Tuesday 17 July I lost power not knowing what it was I booked my car in to see the local mechanic on the Friday he serviced the car fully and replace a cracked turbo pipe which then gave me back the car good as new. Come Saturday morning the PDF light comes on so straight back to the mechanics I go which I was told drive the car on freeway 100km 20 mins etc.
So Sunday 22 July 2012 my car dpf was still on and as I tried to clear it the car went into limp mode, Monday morning back down at the local mechanic he tried to clear what thought was a blockage in the pdf which he thinks he did by running the car on the hoist about 95km for 30 mins the he thought dumping oil and putting fresh stuff might help and try again etc. . He has given up on trying to get the car out of limp mode and he thinks its best I take the car to Nissan and get them to do a force regen and if that doesn’t work it will need to be replaced at lots $$$ which then a new DPF needs to be sent from Thailand which is going to take time, I am after any ideas trying to get it of limp mode and then stop it from happening again.
I had no idea about what the PDF was until I started doing research when I was told how much these were to replace late on Monday night.
The biggest problem is I need my car for work so no car no work no money
Is there a Quick Fix?
Cheers Marc

Go to Nissan and have them run a forced regen (about $320 inc oil). Then buy a delete pipe from chip-it and rip the dpf out and replace it with the delete pipe. You'll NEVER have another issue with the bloody thing. Mine failed in the middle of outback WA.

Run a search on this forum or read this full thread for info on how to fit it yourself and what to do with the piping/sensors.

3 hour install as long as you can get the sensors out.

good luck.

What are the chances of not being able to do a force regen

Should be able to do it. The CONSULT II machine Nissan uses forces the cars computer to run the regen and the code is cleared automatically. It doesn't just clear the codes.

As long as the DPF is in there bobs you Uncle. Makes sure the code is cleared and the car runs correctly prior to fitting the delete pipe.

If you need further info call Robert at Chip-It. He's happy to help.

i have a DPF for sale. it is 18000 kms old. PM me if you are interested

Otherwise: You need to ask Nissan to get it out of limp and then fit one of our Race Pipes (DPF Eliminators) when you get the car out of Nissan.

We have fitted many for this issue.

Also, in 2 weeks I will have a program that will allow me to do a Regen and clear these codes and also stop the factory ECU from doing a post burn injection (regen).

I wont be able to cancel out the regen unless you have a Race Pipe fitted since the factory DPF will still need to be regenerated (cleaned) until it is removed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back