DPF and Cat Deletion in a D40 Series 2 and 3 Diesel Auto – No White Smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Many Series 2 and 3 (June 2006 – Aug 2010) D40 Diesel Auto owners are unhappy with their vehicle’s fuel economy. Most put this down to the diesel particulate filter (DPF) installed in the exhaust on the passenger side. There are many threads either explaining how the DPF works (or does not work as the case may be) and problems with it including poor fuel economy and the DPF blocking up causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.

These include (amongst many others):
·

There is also evidence emerging that DPFs are failing within 3 to 5 years, particularly in D40s (and R51s) that have spent their entire lives driving within city limits. It appears the lack of exhaust temperature and therefore the need for continued ‘active’ regeneration of the DPF is causing them to fail. OEM replacement cost is around $4000 for a new one or $1000 for a second hand one from a wrecker.

Furthermore, vehicles fitted with a DPF are also required to use ACEA C3 (Low Ash) 5W 30 oil to reduce the particulate output. This oil is more expensive and adds further costs. Failure to use the correct oil is also a significant cause of DPF failures.

So given my determined nature, I went on what turned out to be a seven month crusade to remove the DPF and the OEM dump and cat. Of course I had lots of help and suggestions from forum members and others along the way. Here are my results in one single thread with all the photos you’ll need to get the job done (and some storytelling to keep it interesting)...

I first found a custom made DPF delete pipe on eBay back in March 2010 so I copied the text and more importantly the photos for use at a later date:

ReplacementPipeforDPF.jpg

[FONT=&quot]"D40 NAVARA DPF FILTER REPLACEMENT PIPE.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BETTER FUEL ECO.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NO MORE TURBO LAG.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I GOT ABOUT 20% MORE POWER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]THIS ITEM TOOK A WHILE TO FIND SOMEONE TO MAKE.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ONLY SELLING DUE TO CAR BEING SOLD AND I KNOW WHAT AUTO DEISEL NAVARA'S ARE LIKE ON FUEL.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IT WORKED ON MY NAVARA IT MIGHT WORK ON YOURS.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ALL THE SENSORS CAN BE PLUMBED IN THATS THE REASON FOR THE PRICE.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IF YOU DONT PLUMB THEM IN A ENGINE CHECK LIGHT WILL COME ON.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$550"[/FONT]

I then knew that deleting the DPF could in fact be done but was still a little unsure so continued investigating. I approached an exhaust shop who had done some great work exhaust work to my previous two utes but they had never seen a DPF and were not keen to remove it nor fabricate a delete pipe.

This caused further delays but in the end I approached Mark from Exhaust Technology showed him the pictures in July. He jumped at the opportunity to experiment on someone’s car and with photos to look at the decision was made. I deleted my DPF in early July 2010.
Here is the DPF:

FactoryDPF.jpg

I carefully recorded fuel consumption over the next two weeks and I was rewarded with a great result. My fuel consumption dropped from 15.5L / 100kms to 14.5. I would be first to concede that both figures are high but my D40 tares in at 2472kgs and I drive it hard. I drove it for another week and topped the tank up and my initial fuel economy results were repeated. I honestly could not notice any performance response from fitting the delete pipe.

Accordingly, you can safely remove a DPF without triggering the Check Engine Light (CEL) and according to my figures you can expect to drop up to 1L/100kms. Importantly all the sensors must be plugged back into the delete pipe approximately where they were removed.

Here is my custom made Delete Pipe. Chip It sell delete pipes for those wanting an off-the-shelf solution to replacing their DPF.

DPFDeletePipewithcommentary.jpg

Last edited:
So happy with my result, I contacted Mark and arranged for the factory dump pipe and cat to be replaced with a 3” dump pipe. This was done at the end of July.
Here’s the factory dump pipe and cat

FactoryDumpandCat.jpg

Replacing the factory dump pipe/cat with the 3” dump pipe made the single biggest improvement to performance and I then set about dyno tuning my chip to maximise performance.

DumpPipewithHiflowCatandEGTProbe.jpg

The following day I loaded up the tinnies and the Minister of Finance and headed to Lake Eyre (http://www.navara.asia/trips-touring/3913-lake-eyre-cooper-creek.html). I never got there. 5kms north of CBD I completely immersed a major Adelaide intersection in the now infamous “white smoke”. It was not a nice experience, with people pointing at us and telling me to pull over as my “car was on fire”.

Within two weeks I had the dump pipe modified to install a high flow 200 cell cat back in the dump pipe. I did this because the fumes were just too toxic. Idling at lights with the window down or worst still reversing was just terrible. The addition of the cat addressed that issue.

As I now know the white smoke was the ECU activating a regeneration of the DPF. The ECU undertakes two active regens by injecting diesel on the exhaust stroke.

1. Cat reconditioning – I coined this a “half burn” as it only injects a small amount of diesel and there is not too much white smoke
2. DPF Active Regen - I coined this a “full burn” as there is lots of white smoke and it usually always happens in peak traffic!!!

I drove my ute for two months (Aug and Sept) like this unable to solve the white smoke issue. I even left the pristine Simpson Desert covered in a white smelly cloud of unburnt diesel. In October I bolted in the DPF just to stop the white smoke while I set to finding a solution. YES reinstalling the DPF with the factory cat removed will stop the white smoke but it uses a heap of diesel carrying out regular regens of the DPF.

I spoke to numerous people and there were several suggestions and ideas put forward on this forum (thanks Tony for all the PMs). In the end, we collectively worked out the problem lay with the O2 sensor.

O2Sensor.jpg

I spoke with Al (aka burgo) an engineer who suggested wrapping the sensor probe in alfoil. I did that but it didn’t work. I now believe that was because I didn’t wrap enough foil around it.

O2andTempSensors.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled the pressure sensor connector under the bonnet and drove the ute for a week. It did throw the CEL but there was no white smoke.

So as you can now all see by November I had become obsessed with fixing the white smoke and I knew a solution was within sight. So with the help of Mark from Exhaust Technology we spent a morning fabricating a bung to space the O2 Probe out.

O2SensorExtension.jpg

The tip of probe is 20mm from the pipe and has a single 3mm hole allowing gasses through. Note that I am running a 3” straight through exhaust and the probe spacing and hole size may vary depending on exhaust diameter has that will vary the velocity of gasses moving through the exhaust.

ExtensioninPlace.jpg

The result is I am now celebrating two weeks with both the DPF and factory cat deleted and I have no white smoke!!!! I have a long range tank and hence have not yet fuelled up but I will post figures when I have them.

So for those wanting to achieve either better fuel economy or performance it can be done. The trick is to space the O2 sensor ‘just right’ so that the values it sends the ECU fall between the minimum and maximum tolerances (whatever they are).

Hope that helps and I am only too happy field questions from people wanting assistance.

Bosshog

Last edited:
excellent work mate. i have been following the other thread and have seen the amount of work you've put in. and nicely summarized here. a new exhaust is definately on the cards for me and this is certainly food for thought.
thanks
shero

Awesome write-up Gus, thanks heaps for doing it.

People faced with a faulty DPF might consider this step. It's certainly much less expensive!

Last edited:
Great write up Bloke !!!:rock:

Great to tell all what you and other people are try to do !!! and hopefully i can back this up as well with the same running gear !!

Untill i seen this site, I though i was the only one who was trying to solve this problem !!! (and what a headf%$k !!!) Trying stuff and not working and no one to bounce ideas to.

So in all this is a great site for us navara owner and i hope it keeps this way:thank_you2: :cheers!::cheers!:

Ok guys here we go !!!!

Had sh%t day up here:boring: ( Still rainning!!!) so went around to jase's shop and played around with the car. Showed jase the spacer on here (like bosshogs) and made one

Turned up the chip to 5 and made the space like bosshog (just love the pick up and power!!) The only thing different now is the banjo bolt on the fuel rail, But that shouldn't have the affect on the outcome (i think????anyway)

:idea:Just another point im thinking about is that half of my driving is around town (50 to 60 KPH) picking up material and gear for jobs as well towing a tonne trailer. So just wondering if you do about he same sort of thing bosshog ???

BOY I HOPE THIS WORKS!!!!!!

Turned up the chip to 5 and made the space like bosshog (just love the pick up and power!!) The only thing different now is the banjo bolt on the fuel rail, But that shouldn't have the affect on the outcome (i think????anyway)

:idea:Just another point im thinking about is that half of my driving is around town (50 to 60 KPH) picking up material and gear for jobs as well towing a tonne trailer. So just wondering if you do about he same sort of thing bosshog ???

BOY I HOPE THIS WORKS!!!!!!

Ring Chip It and get the banjo bolt if you want to run high power levels with your chip. The ECU has heaps of redundancy built in so it won't be problem.

90% of my driving is around town and I still don't have any white smoke so I am very certain that I have cured it.

As soon as the 3yr warranty expires the fu*king DPF is coming out and i plan on sending it to Nissan Australia with a little note saying what co*ks they are.

Great write up Boss. When you are in the Pilbara next drop over and you can have a crack at me for me. I'll supply the beer (after the works done). :cheers!:

As soon as the 3yr warranty expires the fu*king DPF is coming out and i plan on sending it to Nissan Australia with a little note saying what co*ks they are.

Great write up Boss. When you are in the Pilbara next drop over and you can have a crack at me for me. I'll supply the beer (after the works done). :cheers!:

I needed an excuse to get to the North West. Now I have one.

Bugger the warranty by pulling my DPF means that I can reinstall it when I sell the car knowing that it will still work. Leaving it in runs the chance that it would burn out and cost a fortune for a replacement one.

I needed an excuse to get to the North West. Now I have one.

Bugger the warranty by pulling my DPF means that I can reinstall it when I sell the car knowing that it will still work. Leaving it in runs the chance that it would burn out and cost a fortune for a replacement one.

You have a year and a half to organise it. That's when the Warranty runs out. If it fail between now and then i'll just replace it with one Ebsy.

:wtf:GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!:devil: NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!

Being drive my car around the last 2 days and though that i had cured to problem of that f#$^*@* white smoke until I got to the job this morning when it appeared and thick !!!. So not to be beaten i unplug the O2 sensor to see if it would stop:idea:............. WELL WHAT A SHOW, IT USED ABOUT 20LTS OF DIESEL IN ABOUT 3 MINS not to mention that F%^&#$% smoke:devil: !!!!!!!!

SO bosshog im having trouble in trying to back you up with this!!
We built the spacer as you showed us on here and i just carn't to seem to get this to work!!

I really dont know what i have done different seem to me we are running the same set up?????

!!!!!!!TO CUT LONG STORY SHORT THE FACTORY DUMP IS BACK IN !!!!!!!
!!!!! Should of bought the manual!!!

:wtf:GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!:devil: NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!

Being drive my car around the last 2 days and though that i had cured to problem of that f#$^*@* white smoke until I got to the job this morning when it appeared and thick !!!. So not to be beaten i unplug the O2 sensor to see if it would stop:idea:............. WELL WHAT A SHOW, IT USED ABOUT 20LTS OF DIESEL IN ABOUT 3 MINS not to mention that F%^&#$% smoke:devil: !!!!!!!!

SO bosshog im having trouble in trying to back you up with this!!
We built the spacer as you showed us on here and i just carn't to seem to get this to work!!

I really dont know what i have done different seem to me we are running the same set up?????

!!!!!!!TO CUT LONG STORY SHORT THE FACTORY DUMP IS BACK IN !!!!!!!
!!!!! Should of bought the manual!!!

Gee Chris that's obviously not good news.

I am happy to talk to you over the phone to see if there is anything different to my set up. I am assuming that you only had a very small hole that allowed the probe access to the exhaust gas.

I should have mentioned do not pull the O2 sensor in my earlier thread as it causes havoc. I didn't coz I wrongly assumed that given the electrical connector was underneath the car and it was too hard to get too. Pull the pressure sensor - as that just shuts down the ECU's operation of the DPF.

I am approaching 3 weeks and no white smoke at all. So I know it can be done. I really want to help so PM me if you want some help - or even just a shoulder to cry on!!

Gus

Hey Bosshog whats your reason not to pull the O2 sensor? Someone else on ere was saying he was saving fuel by having it dissconnected?

Westy

The ECU pumped heaps of diesel in as it wasn't (obviously) getting the right messages back from the O2 sensor. I am sure that it would have triggered the CEL and shut down the DPF operation eventually and therefore stopped injecting diesel into the exhaust, but I just plugged it back in.

BH

Bosshog

Do you think your exhaust mate would be keen to make up some of these bungs for some of the blokes on here? for a price of course?

Josh

Latest posts

Back