recent chip comparo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philong

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering on your thoughts of the new 4wd action magazine with the chip comparo as im looking at fitting one to my 08 d40, have you guys got any suggestions or experience with these brands, rapid, roo,more power, tunit and steinbauer? any feed back would be great

thanks phil

hey guys just wondering on your thoughts of the new 4wd action magazine with the chip comparo as im looking at fitting one to my 08 d40, have you guys got any suggestions or experience with these brands, rapid, roo,more power, tunit and steinbauer? any feed back would be great

thanks phil

I wouldn't put too much weight into the comparo. They only tested chips that they were given to trial and the 'winner' is a regular advertiser in their mag (surprise surprise).

Have a look at chip-it performance chips. He sells his units for about $800 and it does the same thing as most of the others and it can be fitted and disconnected in minutes. There are many others out there that a far cheaper the then ones in the comparo and they do the same thing. More power and torque (fuel eco is the issue with these things).

I was going to get one but decided on a double din DVD player with rear camera. AND LOVE IT.

I have a TDC Powerbox for sale for $400. Claimed output is 148kW & 478Nm.

A spill from their website.
The PowerBox CR plus is fully digital and includes a signal variation switch with multiple settings, so there's never a problem finding the setting that's best for your vehicle. You can even turn the PowerBox off while it is still connected.
The CRplus has been programmed for optimal performance. Power gains vary depending on engine and ECU type. CRplus users can expect a power improvement ranging from 25% to 55% greater than the gains achieved with our standard PowerBox CR. Essentially, the power improvement is linear to acceleration; however, a greater boost is provided when there’s an immediate demand for acceleration. This reduces the time required to pass other vehicles, and, in some cases, means less time exposure to oncoming traffic.

Despite its potential for tremendous power improvement, the CRplus has been programmed to provide better fuel efficiency. Its unique programming increases power when needed most. During acceleration, the injection time required to achieve higher speeds is substantially reduced. This minimizes fuel consumption. In fact, independent testing revealed fuel economy savings from 10% to 15% at signal variation settings between from “3” to “6.”

The CRplus includes an extended 31" wiring harness to provide greater reach for installation. Each unit comes complete with detailed illustrated instructions and is backed by our 3-year limited warranty.

Timing is a function of the ECU's internal program. When fuel volume changes, so does timing. The PowerBox is an interface that transmits signal variations to the ECU, but these signals are based on those of other parameters that determine speed, engine load, and acceleration demand. When a signal variation is transmitted by the PowerBox, the ECU will adjust the necessary parameters as though there was a greater demand for power. In other words, the unit will provide a signal at an actual speed 40MPH, which indicates that the vehicle is traveling at 50MPH. The ECU's internal program compensates by metering fuel injections for a speed of 50MPH. Combustion is maximized, and the ECU makes the necessary timing adjustments as it normally would at this speed. The PowerBox is programmed to transmit signal variations that remain within the tolerances mapped to the ECU's internal program.

All TDC Technologies’ PowerBoxes are equipped with OEM plugs that are inserted into the wiring loom between the fuel injection system and the electronic control unit (ECU). The PowerBox intercepts the signals that pass back and forth, and modifies them to create an increase in fueling by altering the timing of the injectors, holding them open longer.

A larger amount of fuel injected into a diesel engine creates a significant increase in power and improves overall performance. Unlike the gasoline engine that provides airflow proportionate to acceleration, the diesel engine runs with an excess air flow most of the time, causing it to run well below its maximum combustion capacity. This means that optimal combustion can still be achieved despite the increased fuel injection produced by the PowerBox.

Reliability and Safety

The PowerBox will not change the service intervals or reduce the life of your engine. The performance enhancement offered by all of our units takes into account the safe mechanical limits of your engine. Remember, only the parameters of the injection timing are altered, while pressure and fuel/air ratios controlled by the ECU remain unchanged. The result is smooth and re

I wouldn't put too much weight into the comparo. They only tested chips that they were given to trial and the 'winner' is a regular advertiser in their mag (surprise surprise).

Have a look at chip-it performance chips. He sells his units for about $800 and it does the same thing as most of the others and it can be fitted and disconnected in minutes. There are many others out there that a far cheaper the then ones in the comparo and they do the same thing. More power and torque (fuel eco is the issue with these things).

I was going to get one but decided on a double din DVD player with rear camera. AND LOVE IT.

Thanks for that Merchant and its true on what you say.

I can share with the forum members of the differences between the Chip It Module and our competition.

The Chip It Module will connect to 2 sensors in your existing factory plugs.

One is the Fuel Pressure Sensor (which the other Chip Manufacturer also do) ... the other one is to the Turbo Boost Sensor (which is UNIQUE to Chip It)

Compared to other Chip companies, we are EXTREMELY WELL positioned for these reasons too.

1) More features,
2) Better tunes … (not only do we address the Fuel MAP, but we also address Turbo Boost Curve),
3) Aussie made,
4) Tuned for Aussie cars with Aussie fuels,
5) Tuned by us ONLY ... no overseas tunes or non Aussie speaking 3rd party involved at all,
6) Much better prices,
7) More sophisticated board design, AND probably the biggest point ...
8) CUSTOM TUNING CAPABILITY ... WHICH AGAIN, OTHER MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE.

Let me expand on point 8. When you need a custom tune with all the other Chips, you need to send the Module back to them for re-calibrating. This then is NOT a true custom tune to suit your vehicle as changes are NOT made in real-time. This is NOT so with the Chip It Module. Real-time tuning capabilities are given to every Chip It Custom Tune Dealer and adjustments to tunes are provided via email daily. Chip It “Macro” Tuning Software, provided FREE with every Chip purchase, allows YOU to download tunes to the Module within seconds.

If that is not enough, we also have the capability to run EGT Monitors, which, when coupled to the Chip It Performance Modules, monitor EGT's and re-program the Chip It Module to run factory standard tunes IF the EGT's climb too high. Again, this is unique to Chip it.

This feature is available to those that wish to produce extreme tunes for their vehicle. When left at the Chip It factory pre-set tunes, the EGT's are not an issue.

We also have 5 years warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.

If we were in that comparo there is no way that the mag could have came us with the same winner without people seeing it was OBVIOUSLY biased to the regular advertisers. Or if they chose us as the winner can you imagine the others being happy with the mag that someone that DOES NOT advertise at all win. They would be poking the mag editor for ever in a day!!!

Hope this helps

No worries Rob. I'm always happy to push Aussie made stuff. Having said that, the product still needs to be fit for purpose, a good quality product and be competitive in the market.

The thing with these chips is obviously power and torque. I would love one but I put a lot of emphases on fuel economy these days because of the price of diesel in the north of WA. Until someone can guarantee i will save fuel when i tow the 1.5t van i won't seriously look at one.

May i suggest you loan one of your chips to one of the more predominant members of this forum to trial. If your chip does as you suggest then it will help you no end with the members.

From memory i think you are in QLD. I'm sure there's someone up that way who will stick there hand up and then post their views.

steinbauer.....158kw

thanks phil

the bloke up here said he would get 158kw and prove it on the dyno ,but at $1650 then he said if he doesnt get 158kw then its free............mmmm its a lot of money for a car that not even 12 mth old

the bloke up here said he would get 158kw and prove it on the dyno ,but at $1650 then he said if he doesnt get 158kw then its free............mmmm its a lot of money for a car that not even 12 mth old

158kw on the TD is a bit over the top. But if he can get 158kw i can only imagine the high fuel usage.

Last edited:
remember guys ... you can make dyno numbers say whatever you want. You want 250 kws ... no problems. The real test is back to back tests.

And that is why we gaurantee to have the best tunes (make the most power) than any other cause we tune 2 parameters ... fuel and boost.

Actually, if you ask that mechanic to call me (0412 304030) I WOULD LOVE to let him do try our chips so he gets a feel for them and is then free to give his opinion.

The only troble is that is he (and others) are only chasing big profits then he WONT go for ours 'cause our RETAIL price is only $824.00 delivered. He can charge extra for custom tuning but fitted he will be charging under $1000.00.

158kw on the TD is a bit over the top. But if he can get 158kw i can only imagine the high fuel usage.

I have a steinbauer, I haven't had it dyno'd but it does haul arse!

BTW, I have taken it off for the moment as it went into nissan for a warranty claim, and fuel usage is exactly the same without the chip as it is with the chip set on full power, with all the extra horsepower.

Chip it I have been interested in all of your posts and checked out your website, I am wondering if there are any plans to release anything for the ZD30 Navara. I'm sure there is a big enough market for it, being shared with the patrol aswell.

Thanks for that Merchant and its true on what you say.

I can share with the forum members of the differences between the Chip It Module and our competition.

The Chip It Module will connect to 2 sensors in your existing factory plugs.

One is the Fuel Pressure Sensor (which the other Chip Manufacturer also do) ... the other one is to the Turbo Boost Sensor (which is UNIQUE to Chip It)

Compared to other Chip companies, we are EXTREMELY WELL positioned for these reasons too.

1) More features,
2) Better tunes … (not only do we address the Fuel MAP, but we also address Turbo Boost Curve),
3) Aussie made,
4) Tuned for Aussie cars with Aussie fuels,
5) Tuned by us ONLY ... no overseas tunes or non Aussie speaking 3rd party involved at all,
6) Much better prices,
7) More sophisticated board design, AND probably the biggest point ...
8) CUSTOM TUNING CAPABILITY ... WHICH AGAIN, OTHER MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE.

Let me expand on point 8. When you need a custom tune with all the other Chips, you need to send the Module back to them for re-calibrating. This then is NOT a true custom tune to suit your vehicle as changes are NOT made in real-time. This is NOT so with the Chip It Module. Real-time tuning capabilities are given to every Chip It Custom Tune Dealer and adjustments to tunes are provided via email daily. Chip It “Macro” Tuning Software, provided FREE with every Chip purchase, allows YOU to download tunes to the Module within seconds.

If that is not enough, we also have the capability to run EGT Monitors, which, when coupled to the Chip It Performance Modules, monitor EGT's and re-program the Chip It Module to run factory standard tunes IF the EGT's climb too high. Again, this is unique to Chip it.

This feature is available to those that wish to produce extreme tunes for their vehicle. When left at the Chip It factory pre-set tunes, the EGT's are not an issue.

We also have 5 years warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.

If we were in that comparo there is no way that the mag could have came us with the same winner without people seeing it was OBVIOUSLY biased to the regular advertisers. Or if they chose us as the winner can you imagine the others being happy with the mag that someone that DOES NOT advertise at all win. They would be poking the mag editor for ever in a day!!!

Hope this helps

So are you, and if so when, going to do a chip for the ZD30??????

we are looking into it 100% however we have found that other precommon rail vehicles fitted with chips do not compare when put up against our petrol injection system. So we are not too rushed to get a chip out when the other product does so much better.

CLICK HERE

It has the same benefits as LPG injection of diesels (IE helping to burning the diesel better) and increases the range of the tank

Cheers

petrol injection just screams dodgy ! :(
i don't know about over the ditch there but here it runs into legal issues, most likely need certification which adds another cost.

it wouldn't really address the problem with the ZD30, which is under fuelling in the low-mid rpm's.

one question on the Chip It modules, can you switch between different tunes on the fly? eg increase fuel when water injection system is running ? or degrease fuel if EGT gets to hot?

extra power and torque are all good, BUT how much extra strain is put on the motor and running gear to get the extra out of it???? remember she's only a 2.5 L. when i look at getting 1 the warranty will be the biggest deciding factor for me.

95% of posts from people with chips say that there was no increase in fuel economy .
So does Gas injection come into the picture. even with the initial out lay after 2-3 yrs you might actually be better off going for the injection system. As i've heard they greatly increase power torque and most importantly fuel economy.

So does Gas injection come into the picture. even with the initial out lay after 2-3 yrs you might actually be better off going for the injection system. As i've heard they greatly increase power torque and most importantly fuel economy.

The D40 engine for sale on ebay with melted pistons was enough to scare me off gas injection, it might be a rare thing though.

petrol injection just screams dodgy ! :(
i don't know about over the ditch there but here it runs into legal issues, most likely need certification which adds another cost.

it wouldn't really address the problem with the ZD30, which is under fuelling in the low-mid rpm's.

one question on the Chip It modules, can you switch between different tunes on the fly? eg increase fuel when water injection system is running ? or degrease fuel if EGT gets to hot?

Tweak'e that's unfair. You are speaking without knowing our product, service, experience, or anything about us.

1) There are zero regulations regarding diesel petrol injection (DPI). It falls into the same category as adding octane booster to your tank. IE ZERO REGS. LPG, different story ... yes it does have the need to be "certified" (which we are certifiers of BTW) because of the pressure vessels being used. We looked into it different products because we didn't like the charges licensed fitters were charging for a day's labour. We as manufactureres had reduced sales because people didn't want the high cost of ownership even though the kit itself was fair and reasonable (sub $1000).

So off we went looking at different things and Petrol came up trumps. You can find it anywhere, doesn't matter what type or brand you use. Didn't suffer from contamination like LPG, no pressure vessel thus no regs, higher calorific value (energy content) than LPG. Cleans the diesel burn like LPG. Customers could use water only (for a 10% boost in power ... and no cost of fuel) or a water methanol mix (or water/ethanol), they could use straight petrol or petrol methanol mix for better power or high octane petrol with a methanol mix. It was just the right product for the job. Then we search (2 years) for parts we liked. What we couldn't find we have made. The end result is 100% customer satisfaction.

Just this week a customer (Darren B from Vic) that had the DPI fitted to his Duramax. He said he couldn't be happier. He has LPG on one of his other cars and he said this was 100 times better. He told us that he is saving 4 litre of diesel for every 100 kms and using only 1 litre of petrol!! (This is 100% fact guys ... no BS).

I dont know about the regs over where you live, but in Australia and USA

2) About the under fueled ZD30, this is exactly what the DPI is addressing! Every diesel works with residual air. You can read about it HERE if you scroll down to where it says "USE OF RESIDUAL AIR". Remember diesels are air pumps and the govering of fuel to a MAX charge of air is what determined the power. It is this residual air that allows Chips etc to work!!

3) Yes. The Chip It module does have the ability to swap maps on the fly REAL TIME.

Hope this clears things up. But like I said, its a little unfair for you to call the product dodgy when you havent seen it or know how the process works.

We go to great lengths to make sure all our products are top shelf. 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for and with a 30 day money back guarantee I think this shows we are serious about this.

If you look around the different forums you will see we we get a HUGE wrap.

Last edited:
extra power and torque are all good, BUT how much extra strain is put on the motor and running gear to get the extra out of it???? remember she's only a 2.5 L. when i look at getting 1 the warranty will be the biggest deciding factor for me.

95% of posts from people with chips say that there was no increase in fuel economy .

What kills an engine is HEAT and REVS.

You can get big power from engines as long as you dont increase the red line. In fact, having more torque down low meand you DO NOT have the rev the crap out of it. You jump on the accelerator and when you are up to speed you take your foot off the load peddle and keep the revs down.

LPG does increase power but petrol injection is better still and better in other aspects as well. Read about it in my post above.

Please remember that we make LPG systems, Chip and the DPI kits so we can remain unbiased about it all as we are not trying to peddle just one type of product

Last edited:
The D40 engine for sale on ebay with melted pistons was enough to scare me off gas injection, it might be a rare thing though.

Matt we dont know what caused this but if it was running on LPG it must have been running really high ratios and it would have been outside of the manufacturer's spec ... I gaurantee it.

Latest posts

Back