EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about doing the EGR mod, just wondering if anyone with an auto has done it and what was the outcome?
I have an auto, a DPF and no black soot, is it worth my while.
I'm keen to overcome my turbo lag though and get some more k's per tank.

Arty,
:rock: Just done my manual this week and have definate improvement in torque 5%ish and smoke has decreased more than 50% but still there, at least i can accelerate from lower than 2k revs which previously anything under 2.6k fogged out two lanes. Its logical to improve as the turbo is not competing with the emission system to supply intake.
Ecconomy before was good as most my driving HWay at 10.5ltr per 100km, i will post results once this tank is burnt next week with the EGR mod.

As for your particle filter I thought they were on the exhaust and that would mean the nice sooty crud is still going through intake to be filtered on exhaust.

Rg's

Fabs 09 STX

Arty,
:rock: Just done my manual this week and have definate improvement in torque 5%ish and smoke has decreased more than 50% but still there, at least i can accelerate from lower than 2k revs which previously anything under 2.6k fogged out two lanes. Its logical to improve as the turbo is not competing with the emission system to supply intake.
Ecconomy before was good as most my driving HWay at 10.5ltr per 100km, i will post results once this tank is burnt next week with the EGR mod.

As for your particle filter I thought they were on the exhaust and that would mean the nice sooty crud is still going through intake to be filtered on exhaust.

Rg's

Fabs 09 STX

Thanks Fabs

Keen to hear from anyone with an AUTO.

Arty

For an auto with DPF by blocking the EGR the engine will burn cleaner meaning less soot which in return means less need to do the burn off which also means less fuel consumption in theory.

Arty, my auto seems to be returning an improvement of about 0.5LPHK with the EGR blocked. Will continue monitoring - it's only an experiment for me, I will very likely unblock mine so that I comply with emission regulations when I am satisfied with the results.

Arty,

Rg's

Fabs 09 STX

Ecconomy Daily HWY driving @ av 110KPH recorded 1464k's for 136.5L
9.3LPHK

Excuse my ignorance, but after blanking off, are you just venting the pipe to the atmosphere? Or have you made up a catch can etc?

edit - Or are you guys blanking off both ends, pipe and motor?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Paydirt!

It's simpler than that.

Picture a gasket - it has two little holes for the bolts to pass through and a large one for the gas/fluid/whatever to pass through in the middle.

Now picture it minus that big hole in the middle - that's all that's being put in. Flow of gas down that pipe is effectively stopped. End of EGR.

Gotcha, you're inserting a a blanking plate between the two, and refitting the pipe. I was under the impression that you were all blanking off the EGR at the motor end and venting the pipe to the atmosphere. Makes sense now. Will fab up a plate on the weekend. Thanks for the welcome too, although I'm a Pathy owner stuff form this forum may come in handy. :)

Lazy

I finally did my EGR today. Due to convience and laziness I blanked it off post the heat exchange and before the gases re-enter. Most difficult task was fabricating a blanking plate out of stainless to the exact shape. I am sure there is a market for manufacturing blanking plates.

:big_smile:

Bosshog

just finished installing mine. i also put mine on the drivers side. thinkin i mite make a few an sell em off haha :) too easy. seems to have slowed the smoke down a bit too :)

not too sure what they are worth but mine cost me nothing. i had the gasket out traced, drilled a couple of holes and cut it out with a grinder and cleaned it up. then had it installed all in about half an hour. great mod. if anyone wants one just let me know and we can work out a price hehehe

After I purchased my Nav I was so dissapointed with the turbo lag on take off with an auto 06 D40 I was going to sell it.
Blocking the EGR completely changed the drivability - no noticable lag.
Cant say I noticed any improvement in economy around town (10l/100km), I probably use the increased performance - hence more fuel.
Just did 15000kms trip pulling a 1000kg pop top van, best fuel economy 12.5l/100 with a tail wind up to 15l/100 with a head wind sitting on 95 kph.
No black smoke or stain on tailgate or van ( non DPF model).
The other improvement is that the oil stays clear after 5000kms. I use Nulon 5W-40 Full synth oil. Gotta make the engine last longer.

I fitted an egr blocking plate to a mates D40 last week and he said it has improved his low down torque and will make his clutch last longer by needing less revs to take off especially pulling his 2.5 t van.
:rock:

Was bored today and got motivated and made my blanking plate today.

All up done in under an hour. Ended up using a piece of 1.5mm mild steel and installed with the gasket on the pipe side.

Certainly noticed the throttle response from idle, does not bog down nearly as much. Feels way better to drive. :rock:

Dwayne, How much you asking? I am a lazy bastard! I get sick of playing with tools all day and dont want to come home and make one!

Shaun

Latest posts

Back