EGR mod on d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tony
Wow that is pretty. Looks like desert but not crazy hot with all the grass. Where is that? Haven't ever been to Australia. Reminds me of Arizona.

Had to remove the EGR blocking plate as the truck's been looked over by Nissan mechanics. Hopefully they'll be able to replace my turbo out of "goodwill
" and my faith in this brand restored.

EGR MOD FAILURE.

Heads up Pathfinder forum. We have seen an egr mod failure and it has sparked people to check their mod plates and others have found bad pitting.

The failure was on a mod plate (drivers side) made from a stainless steel paint scraper blade bought from bunnings so a relatively thin piece of stainless.

It might be something for everyone to check out!!

PCoA • View topic - EGR Failure!

tweak the link goes to the pathy forum where there is a pic in the first post. It was definately very thin stainless and from bunnings who really knows the quality. However it's a bit concerning others are finding pitting when checking theirs too

It's be interesting to see the condition of something that is made from exhaust grade stainless steel, not stupid paint scraper grade stainless.

My plate is it from 2.5-3mm stainless used for "no junk mail" signs

Yeah OK there may be a problem with Bunnings SS but has someone on this forum who has fitted the Chipit blanking plate had a look recently. Not much point in me doing it as I've only had it in place for a coupla thousand kays.

tweak the link goes to the pathy forum where there is a pic in the first post. It was definately very thin stainless and from bunnings who really knows the quality. However it's a bit concerning others are finding pitting when checking theirs too

i had another look and the pic is now showing.
i think someones having a laugh, thats not a hole blown through a plate, its been cut. it looks like a stock metal gasket.

That is crap. I've used the same stainless steel that they were making cafeteria cooking benches from. I'll check mine soon - but I doubt I have any problem with it.

First, a "stainless steel" scraper from Bunnings is likely to be a light plating on the outside of mild steel if you're lucky. Second, stainless doesn't react too much at all which is why it's so bloody good to make exhausts from. Third - the guy doesn't say if he's injecting water, or methanol, or something else into the system.

Still, he said it was mounted on the furthest point on the EGR tube. Get a large straw, put a pea in it, crimp the far end and try to blow the pea along it. It won't move much - there's nowhere for the air to go, so the pea doesn't move. Same deal here. Nothing much is going to go into the EGR pipe if it's blocked on the far end. You'll get a small amount of carbon particulates that bounce their way in but nothing major (in a short period of time) because there's no actual flow in there.

I should add (because I'm not going to sign up to a Pathfinder forum to write this on their thread) that there's a very good chance the missing piece is preventing his EGR valve from closing when it needs to.

At idle and at full throttle, the EGR valve is supposed to close. He complains of smoky performance on hard initial acceleration. If his EGR valve is stuck open, his combustion is going to be impeded and with a full plant on the loud pedal it should be as uninhibited as possible. When he blocks his EGR pipe he'll discover this.

Different kettle of fish but I blocked the vacuum hose to the EGR modulator on my 350 Chev.

Because I don't drive it much I pretty well forgot about it until I removed the intake manifold to replace some gaskets.

I wondered why it would intermittently run like crap. After doing a bit of research I removed the restriction & all has been good since.

Hi Everyone
I done the EGR mod 2 weeks ago.
The engine has now done 2450 kms, the result of the mod has fixed the turbo lag, in fact it has totally gone, fuel economy has not changed in fact I'm disappointed with the economy, 593.4 kms 65.83ltrs = 11.093 ltrs per 100kms at last fill up.
Where ever possible I use cruise control, and I wouldn't consider myself to be a lead foot, I have to admit though that most of my driving has been city, maybe that has something to do with it..
I have only used BP diesel fuel up to this point.
So the question I have is, will the fuel economy increase with more kms done ??

Regards

If your total km travelled is 2450 your car's still a newborn. It's also running a different fuel map so that it doesn't get too hot while it's running in. At the 10,000km service they should reset the fuel map and you'll be right - your economy should improve.

You can do this yourself but I don't suggest that you do, let the young engine bed itself in. We use cruise control too, but I'll catch it before a hill and shut it off, it goes nuts trying to get back up to speed.

I WANT ONE NOW just wondering about adjusting turbo boost i have the 2.5 ltr d22 and the lag is annoying at times also mine seems to blow a lot of black out exaust has since new nissan recon its normal but i see others and they dont seem as bad as mine was wondering if crank angle could have something to do with it

With the 1000k service done did the mod a few days ago myself. It's worthwhile doing. Can't report on the fuel economy yet. There is less lag, cruises a little cleaner/smoother, much less black smoke and even mid range grunt has improved. One thing I have noticed is there is just the slightest hint of nailing at idle. I could be hearing things tho and it could of been there before.

My car blows a shit load of smoke (althought its blue everytime I change gears, seals?) but will do the EGR Valve anyway,

Has anybody got a pic of where it is exactley? I looked at the photos in the first few pages but not really sure what I'm looking at...?

You are looking for a metal pipe that comes around the front of the engine from the exhaust side to inlet side. There are photo's throughout the thread of each series. It is a long thread....

Latest posts

Back