550 intercooler hard pipe

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3ltflogga

Reaction score
Progress made on fixing that lousy lag the 550 suffers with the removal of the shonky hose between the turbo and cooler. A bit of silicone hose from cheap n cheaper with a piece of a D22's sport bar did the trick :)

A Noticeable improvement.

Also fitted a safari snorkel and ground out the inside of the air box baffles to give a very noticeable increase in noise... I even laughed like a little kid the first time I put my foot into it !!

The biggest surprise of the day though was setting cruise on the freeway and seeing my LPH drop from 9.3 to 7.9/8.2 on the scangauge !?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 876
That piece of pipe noticably reduced lag? Serious? Or did the baffling removal "reduce the lag"? A combination of these modifications gave you that improvement in mileage? This was ascertained over a period of time or one trip?

Is it just noisier or actually less laggy? Mine has marginally more turbo noise with the factory snorkel for what that's worth.....

Did you weld any lip onto the pipe ends to stop the hoses slipping off in a month or two's time?

Replacing your intake with actual pipes reduces your lag considerably. The plastic and rubber pipes almost double in size under load which causes lag while it fills the pipes with air. North side 4x4 make a full kit for them.

Woo
IMO...removing the steel noise dampener pipe thingy post turbo & the rubber gumboot hose is the bit that addressed the lag. It's still there but it is a distinct improvement. The throttle response is more like a manual, not an auto. As I connected the silicone to the existing hard pipe it is still smooth so i might need to secure it. Wanted to check it worked first. And i will keep a couple of clamps in the back ;)

I did the snorkel and air box a couple of hundred ks later and got the increase in noise too.

If you doubt the influence of the upgrade just wrap the turbo to ic pipe with cloth tape for an experiment. Wrap it a few times as the heat and expansion unravel the tape easily. Messy clean up too. But you'll get the idea for sure when you boot it.
Seeing is believing, or is it?

Im happy to do a replacement pipe for these ones also guys. Just need someone to provide a car for us to use so we can make it up.

Mate I would love to provide my 550 for a replacement pipe project. My 550 dosent get used through the week..Where are you located?

Im happy to do a replacement pipe for these ones also guys. Just need someone to provide a car for us to use so we can make it up.

Im not to sure yet sorry Lyle.

Once we have the jig made and cost it up with mild/stainless/powdercoated/hpc coated I can let everyone know how much for each type.
This will give everyone a choice to suit both their needs and their budget.

Ill be making charge pipes for the Early YD25 and Late YD25 + The STX550.
I think ill also do an intake pipe upgrade for the stx550 also.

Just head to the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Caboolture-Exhaust-and-Mechanical/117026821841600?ref=tn_tnmn

Give the page a like, and you should see the updates as I post them in regards to when and how much.

Latest posts

Back