Maf problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4BYFOR

Reaction score
Hey guys I am having an issue with white smoke, defiantly diesel fuel! It's not going through a regen there is no dpf light on.. At idle there is no smoke when I go for a little drive and stop white smoke comes out of the exhaust.. I cleaned my MAF sensor only to find a dead bug in it so I removed it and drive the car without it on and no white smoke! So I'm wondering if its just the MAF there is no oil in coolant or vice versa.. It can't be injectors because its not smoking when idling or with the MAF removed.. I also found that my boost solenoid is tapping even at idle and making a turkey noise through the air intake when I remove the vacume line from the actuator it still makes the tapping then when I remove the vac line from the solenoid it stops but its still working.. Would the membrane be ruptured? Any opinions?

Do you have a cat? I had a similar problem with a 3 inch cat installed.
I call it cat conditioning.No DPF light on and injectors open on exhaust stroke to clean cat.This gets done because there has been no regen required.
If it is what I had you can cover an intersection in white smoke.Ignition off and restart for a temp. fix.

Do you have a cat? I had a similar problem with a 3 inch cat installed.
I call it cat conditioning.No DPF light on and injectors open on exhaust stroke to clean cat.This gets done because there has been no regen required.
If it is what I had you can cover an intersection in white smoke.Ignition off and restart for a temp. fix.

Yeh mate I don't have a cat it's straight through from the dump pipe.. I reset the computer and it went away for a day then it came back! So I'm not sure if its just the MAF after seeing a dead bug in there lol how did you fix yours?

can you swap it out with someones to see if it is before you buy a new one?

I'm up in mackay away for work and I don't know anyone here with one but there is a lot of them going around! I have already ordered the new maf should get it by Friday at the moment I'm driving with it disconnected not much power but almost every road here is 60kph so I'd rather have a slow car then a smokey one lol

The MAFS reads two things - air temperature and air flow (in grams per second). The sensor is sensitive and having a foreign object enter it probably destroyed the airflow rate reading - a CONSULT device or even a ScanGauge or Torque app would be able to identify this.

I'd be worried about how the foreign object got in there. How's your air filter?

The MAFS reads two things - air temperature and air flow (in grams per second). The sensor is sensitive and having a foreign object enter it probably destroyed the airflow rate reading - a CONSULT device or even a ScanGauge or Torque app would be able to identify this.

I'd be worried about how the foreign object got in there. How's your air filter?

Yeh I'm pretty sure it's gone but nothing comes up on the scan tool.. As for the bug in there my k&n apollo air filter has a little cap on the top of it and it fell off leaving about an inch diameter hole in the top of it which killed my turbo compressor wheel after a 12 hour drive from Brisbane to mackay!

What you're looking for on the scan tool is the MAFS flow rate. It should reveal as "Mass Air Flow Rate" - OBD-II Mode=01 PID=10 (hex). It should vary in line with engine RPM.

Ok update! Got the new MAF sensor and replaced it.. Still got white smoke so I decided to take the car for a 20min drive on the motorway for a good 15min and when I pulled up at the lights coming back no more white smoke! I'm not sure what it was because I have no dpf but it almost seems like I had to drive it fast and constant to get it out of what ever mode the ecu was in.. No codes came up and I think my old MAF is still good because it was reading the same as this one on the computer.. Well for now she's all good and I can drive back from mackay to Brisbane this weekend! Yay for me. I think it might have been a half burn? I was stumped and did not wan to go to nissan either as they might have raped me without a condom..

If I recall correctly, it doesn't light the DPF light during a regen, it only does it when there's a fault. With 110,000km on mine now, I ought to have noticed the DPF light coming on while driving once or twice - and I've only ever seen mine come on during the startup diagnostics.

So it is possible that yours was trying to do a regen and now it's finished. What you describe having done to the car to stop the smoke is similar to a regen run (needs 10 minutes at 1600rpm+).

If I recall correctly, it doesn't light the DPF light during a regen, it only does it when there's a fault. With 110,000km on mine now, I ought to have noticed the DPF light coming on while driving once or twice - and I've only ever seen mine come on during the startup diagnostics.

So it is possible that yours was trying to do a regen and now it's finished. What you describe having done to the car to stop the smoke is similar to a regen run (needs 10 minutes at 1600rpm+).

Yeh I had no idea what the go was.. I removed my dpf about 100,000k ago without one cycle but I did have it lit before I removed my dpf and had trouble getting it out of limp mode.. After I successfully got it out of limp I had the dpf removed and all was good so I guess I was expecting the light to go on this time.. I did in the meantime clean the O2 sensor when I had the dump pipe off when fitting the new turbo but it still did it even after.. Looks like its all good now so I hope if it comes back again in the next 100k ill just put my foot into it on the motorway lol

Yeh I had no idea what the go was.. I removed my dpf about 100,000k ago without one cycle but I did have it lit before I removed my dpf and had trouble getting it out of limp mode.. After I successfully got it out of limp I had the dpf removed and all was good so I guess I was expecting the light to go on this time.. I did in the meantime clean the O2 sensor when I had the dump pipe off when fitting the new turbo but it still did it even after.. Looks like its all good now so I hope if it comes back again in the next 100k ill just put my foot into it on the motorway lol

I've had my DPF light on twice in the 106000km I've had the car. Once was when crossing the Gibson Desert when after 2 days of max speeds of <25kph the DPF clogged - I locked the auto in 1st gear low range, got the revs above 1800rpm (speed still below 25kph due to extremely harsh corrugations). After 15 minutes the light went out. The second time was when one of the turbo vacuum hoses split - still had to get the rpm above 1800 and again after about 15 minutes the DPF light went out. IMHO this is consistent with what the hand book says about getting up to 80kph or more to effect a regen. At neither time did my car go into limp mode as unlike a lot of folks I'd read the handbook and knew what to do once the light came on.

I've had my DPF light on twice in the 106000km I've had the car. Once was when crossing the Gibson Desert when after 2 days of max speeds of <25kph the DPF clogged - I locked the auto in 1st gear low range, got the revs above 1800rpm (speed still below 25kph due to extremely harsh corrugations). After 15 minutes the light went out. The second time was when one of the turbo vacuum hoses split - still had to get the rpm above 1800 and again after about 15 minutes the DPF light went out. IMHO this is consistent with what the hand book says about getting up to 80kph or more to effect a regen. At neither time did my car go into limp mode as unlike a lot of folks I'd read the handbook and knew what to do once the light came on.

Yeh I had mine go on a few times but it was too late the last time before I ripped it out the dpf was blocked to the shit house.. Nissan tried 6 times to unblock it with no success. This time was different there was no light just the white smoke! That's what baffled me and wasn't sure what it was until I decided to just take it on the motorway and flog it because engine was running fine and turbo was spooling normally.. I never got the chance to do it around here as the max limit is 60k everywhere i need to go lol. This all happened after I found my turbo compressor wheel was chipped all over and I assumed it may have been the turbo so I replaced it.. Either way I still had to replace it at some stage as it would be badly out of balance and might have broken down on me doing the Brisbane mackay drives ahead of me for the next 2 months! When I did have the dpf light on the first time I did what the manual said and it went away I never experienced limp mode until it was blocked. Thanks for your input mate.

Latest posts

Back