STX 550 EGR Mod for V9X engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No exhaust gas going into the engine
No soot going into the clean air fuel mix, you know the same reason we have air filters
Better low down torque

Did this mod yesterday - turbo lag is now virtually zero. Fuel economy better as well! :redcool:
However, went for a short trip today and - engine light came on and is staying on?????
Also, cruise control has instantly started playing up - the cruise "SET" light just keeps flashing - turning the engine off resets the cruise problem, until it decides to come back.:tazzy:

Any ideas would be welcome - should I drill a small hole in the EGR blanking plate? Or just remove it totally?

Did this mod yesterday - turbo lag is now virtually zero. Fuel economy better as well! :redcool:
However, went for a short trip today and - engine light came on and is staying on?????
Also, cruise control has instantly started playing up - the cruise "SET" light just keeps flashing - turning the engine off resets the cruise problem, until it decides to come back.:tazzy:

Any ideas would be welcome - should I drill a small hole in the EGR blanking plate? Or just remove it totally?

You have answered your own question mate, drill the hole! :)

Mine also did this twice on a trip to Sydney and back last weekend. Both times it seemed to happen when I had come into a 60 zone and was slowing down and it would start to flash. Like you stop, turn off and it was OK. After that rather then kill the cruise by touching the brakes I just turned it off and then turned on again later. Will keep playing and see what happens. Have also towed (ski boat at about 1.7t) all up in hilly country with no issue.

Haven't had the engine light come on. Like you less lag but no real difference to fuel. BTW finally getting the ARB bar fitted next week!

Looks like there is a good opportunity for the after market guys to develop a complete solution which would include a new exhaust from the cylinder head to the rear.

Last edited:
Good news on the bar Ozsnow.
I drilled a 5mm hole in the plate but it made no difference. So I have taken the blanking plate out for the time being - instantly the turbo lag is back, feels like a different car. Engine fault light is still on - might have to go to Nissan to have this checked?
I have to say I was a bit surprised at how much soot build up there was in the pipe - very disturbing to think of all that crap going back into the engine.

Last edited:
Engine fault light has now gone off since removing the plate - also the cruise problem has stopped!
I think I'll put the plate back in to see what happens. If the same thing occurs then I'll know for sure thats the cause.

Well I put the plate back in, and within a day the cruise problem started again. On the second day the engine fault light came on again. Going to take it out and leave it out.:violin2:

When the engine light came on did it go into limp mode or did it just show the engine light. might see what my obd2 tells me if i get round to doing this.

Quick trip yesterday, Jindabyne - Albury - Bright - Jindabyne Cruise control tripped again, on mine it appears to be when you are coasting. I was coming into a town and touched the brakes to turn it off and was down near 60ks when it started flashing.

If you are using the cruise turn it off when you come into a town and then back on and it doesn't do it. Pretty strange the way it effects the CC. This doesn't fix the issue but keeps you going. No engine warning light.

BTW averaged 10.5 for the drive in some pretty hilly country. 34 in Albury so the A/C copped a workout.

Had to go to Canberra today and the cruise was fine on the highway (turned it off when coming into the 60 k zones) However driving around Canberra and not using the cruise the check engine light came on and the cruise then started flashing.
looks like the plate is coming back out tomorrow.

Guys,
I have just been told by my Nissan dealer that I need to replace my EGR valve ($1800 inc labour) but that there has also been a computer update for it.
They tried to install the update but apparently didn't work.
Can anyone shed some light on this update?

Chalky.

See if you can get it replaced under warranty. I had mine fail, I expressed my disappointment and nissan ensured it would never fail again. I'm sure they some permanent fix.

Back