D40 intercooler upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pm sent mate sorry for the big delay.

It looks like the kit will be around the $1300 mark and this includes the hardpipe upgrade.

Will update further once we have all the bits back from the laser cutters.

That's great value for a late model vehicle, or at least seems like it to me. Bravo.

Ok just a quick update. Finally!!!

We have now got all the bits laser cut and I have welded up the cradles ready for powdercoat. The hard pipe upgrade is also ready for powder coat and will hopefully be getting done in the next couple of days.
So we are almost there.
My truck has been getting driven very hard and totally the wrong way for economy lately (I was trying to see what the fuel economy would get up to by flogging it) and the worst I have seen is 9.5l/100km (this is over a full tank not measured with a scan gauge)

We are yet to try a 3" exhaust either.

I have some dyno graphs here that indicate std power and power with intercooler and exhaust upgrade. Unfortuneatly due to poor labeling of the graphs it is a bit hard to get exaust only graphs but it will give an idea of the total gains possible anyway.

Notice the difference in power and torque at 1900 rpm. Almost 30kw increase and 2000newton torque gain. Also notice the fuel ratio graph leans out approximately 2 parts in areas which is a lot on a common rail car.

Overall they are quite impressive gains considering no extra fuel has been added and without doubt the vehicle will be able to maintain these figures for far longer under load than standard thanks to the effectiveness of the intercooler.

Regards
Brian

Attachments

• DSC03593.JPG
    DSC03593.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 745
  • DSC03594.JPG
    DSC03594.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 704
Nice increase on the figures, do you hold a position at Northside 4x4? Sorry if I missed it elsewhere.

Ok just a quick update. Finally!!!

We have now got all the bits laser cut and I have welded up the cradles ready for powdercoat. The hard pipe upgrade is also ready for powder coat and will hopefully be getting done in the next couple of days.
So we are almost there.
My truck has been getting driven very hard and totally the wrong way for economy lately (I was trying to see what the fuel economy would get up to by flogging it) and the worst I have seen is 9.5l/100km (this is over a full tank not measured with a scan gauge)

We are yet to try a 3" exhaust either.

I have some dyno graphs here that indicate std power and power with intercooler and exhaust upgrade. Unfortuneatly due to poor labeling of the graphs it is a bit hard to get exaust only graphs but it will give an idea of the total gains possible anyway.

Notice the difference in power and torque at 1900 rpm. Almost 30kw increase and 2000newton torque gain. Also notice the fuel ratio graph leans out approximately 2 parts in areas which is a lot on a common rail car.

Overall they are quite impressive gains considering no extra fuel has been added and without doubt the vehicle will be able to maintain these figures for far longer under load than standard thanks to the effectiveness of the intercooler.

Regards
Brian

When and were can we get the intercooler kit

Yep I do work at Northside 4x4.
We are still waiting on silicon for the kit but hopefully that wont be too far off.
There will be three seperate pieces all up.

Forgot to post updated pics with new laser cut brackets including boost sensor bracket.

Also put one in of the truck up the beach on sunday cause it was such a nice day and the blue looks good on the white sand ha ha lol. No tech there!

Attachments

• DSC03572.JPG
    DSC03572.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 757
  • DSC03576.JPG
    DSC03576.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 870
  • DSC03580resize.JPG
    DSC03580resize.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 760
  • DSC03571.JPG
    DSC03571.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Might want to edit your plates out.

Did you let the tyres down on the beach, looks pretty well dug in.

Dave.

Yeah let the tyres down to get on beach but only to 30psi. Let em down to 25 before taking off again and it drove out no worries at all.

Yeah forgot about plates but I am not illegal in any way so shouldn't matter too much. Thanks anyhow.

Great reading guy's. i am having a three inch exhaust and Steinbauer fitted on thursday; will post the before and after Dyno's on here if anyons interested. i guess the intercooler will have to be next.

Orrsom, i am interested in thebefore and after dyno figure's. I am looking at doing the same in the near future.

I should probably post this a different topic.....

but I finally got the chance to test the 3" exhaust against the 2.5" I have had fitted for the last couple of months on the dyno.

The new 3" went on the truck on monday and imediately I could pic the noise difference but that was about it...
Put it on the dyno tonight and (no great surprise to us) power gains are so minimal that it really is not worth the extra money involved to use a 3" exhaust over a 2.5" mandrel bent in the navaras case.

Ok I know that goes against what a lot of people have told you but we have the proof in the pudding as far as the Navaras go anyway.
That is not to say that if you can afford the extra $250-300 for a 3" system you shouldn't do it but in my mind (and the dyno graphs) the gains are not worth it.

I have yet to take the car for a highway run to see if there are any egt differences but I will be surprised if anything changes. I know noise levels in cab will be up though.

Boost remained the same as the 2.5 system also. (like almost exactly the same!)

I will post up some graphs asap. But to all those out there thinking they have to spill out big bucks for a 3" system have a think about using a good quality 2.5 instead. My oppinion is they sound better too on a small capacity 4 cyl diesel.
PM me for details if you would like to know a supplier for exhausts both 2.5 and 3" for our trucks at a reasonable rate.

Spread the word!!! ha ha

BTW we are still on track with the intercooler kits just waiting on silicon hoses now. $1300 is still the magic number at this stage too.

WE WOULD REALLY LIKE AN AUTO WITH NUDGE BAR TO TEST FIT(free fitting) ON TOO SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PLEASE GET IN CONTACT WITH ME.
Thanks for reading hope it has been informative.

Brian

Brian,
hope i notice a difference; i have the standard exhaust and a snorkle. think the chip and 3" mandrel bent will feel great and having not tried the 2.5" first shouldnt be disapointed.here's hoping anyway!

Also I see your asking for a Nav with a nudge bar, does this mean the intercooler will not fit one with a bull bar and winch? just curious wonder if there is an option for a top mount and scoop on the D40.

will definitely fit with a bullbar and winch.

I am just wanting to check with an auto and nudge bar as they have an auto cooler that may be a problem but I don't think it will be a real hassle I just like to make sure!!

3" will definitely make a difference over standard (especially with chip) I was just stating that it doesn't make much difference over a mandrel bent (aftermarket) 2.5".

Has been a lot of bullshit floating around about exhausts lately and it was just good to get some real non bias testing done to prove results that is all.

As I said no reason you shouldn't get a 3" if you can afford it.

hey guys i just upgraded my cooler today and its mad.. I bought all the gear and got JW automotive & race souloutions at 2/10 tradelink rd hillcrest qld brisbane and i must say his done a great job.. im new here but have been following these forums for about a year now and all the info on here is most helpfull so i airiciate it guys for shareing...

hey guys i just upgraded my cooler today and its mad.. I bought all the gear and got JW automotive & race souloutions at 2/10 tradelink rd hillcrest qld brisbane and i must say his done a great job.. im new here but have been following these forums for about a year now and all the info on here is most helpfull so i airiciate it guys for shareing...
Can you give us more info?
where you bought the parts, brands etc.
Cheers

Yeh I got all the gear off eBay.. the only thing I didnt get from there was the silicon hoses and hose clamps.. I got that stuff from autobharn.. there are universal 2.5" aluminium piping on ebay which costed me about $160 and the intercooler was $120 the fitting of the pipe work and cooler was $320 and the silicon hoses plus hose clamps was about $200 or so.. in that price tho i also changed the pipe to the turbo from the airbox to 3" aluminium as well i havent posted pick of that mod yet..

Back