D40 YD25 Turbo upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in order to stave off some of the cost, i have decided to rebuild the current turbo for 1/10th the cost of a new one...for the moment. I also located a blown HKS GT2540 which i will be using the compressor side off of.

I should have it rebuilt by weekend hopefully :)

pic of the oil leak

IMG00177-20090804-1544.jpg

setbacks like that really suck, i'm guessing you used a 2nd hand turbo? always a good idea to get them checked out first as seals can go hard if they've been sitting for a while, especially at the rpm a turbo shaft spins at.

if it was new, did you prime it first? once oil drain is connected, before oil supplyline it connected, squirt clean engine oil down oil supply orifice of turbo and spin impeller, i do this for about a minute, keeping new oil up to it. this way, upon startup, there is no delay in oil supply waiting for oil pressure and subsequently, no turbo failure.

it was a 2nd hand unit from a friend, it was sitting for a while, i did prime it as well :)

hopefully DHL suprises me today but i think it will be tomorrow....cant wait :D

my sexy defi egt gauge is here end of month too

muahahahahahahaha

GTi-R compressor wheel major diameter : 60mm
GTi-R compressor wheel minor diameter : 46mm

HKS GT2540R compressor wheel major diameter : 76mm
HKS GT2540R compressor wheel minor diameter : 52mm

will have to see how laggy this combination is!!

and seeing as i probably wont get the balancing right much less close i think this will all end up being a temporary measure till i can afford a new one.

IMG00178-20090805-1429.jpg

problem....there is a recess in the center housing of 61mm for the 60mm GTi-R compressor wheel to fit into.....the new 76mm wheel wont fit in a 61mm hole.

Taking it to get machined out tomorrow :)

IMG00180-20090805-1751.jpg

GTi-R wheel and center assembly

IMG00181-20090805-1751.jpg

GT2540R wheel and GTi-R center assembly

Last edited:
I have an oil drain problem which is causing the smoking it would seem. The head mechanic at the shop i work at will be looking at it in the morning for me as i am just worn out and fed up lol

I drove it for about 5 mins and boost comes in QUICK and there is no drop off in the upper rpms like the stock turbo :). How ever part throttle boost is down, which is due to this turbo not having the variable vane turbine. That should help with cruising MPG's though.

In the mean time here is a vid of it when i first started it up with the new GT2860 :)

Big plus of all this....the turbo whistle through the exhaust is ALOT louder than the stock turbo :)

the smoke is GONE, my problem was a blocked catch can, long story short i was cleaning it out with by stuffing a rag inside with some mineral spirits and part of the rag tore off and was left inside

turns out my factory turbo is still good and i didnt need to do any of this *sigh*

BUT i was planning on doing this upgrade anyway so i don't mind TOO much lol

Driving impressions:
Response is fairly good, peak torque used to be around 2000-2300rpm according to my highly calibrated ass dyno. However now the torque comes in at around 2700-3000rpm. I cannot spin the big ass 285/75R16 Toyo's as easily as before because by the time the power hits i am traveling too fast to break them loose.

I have been told by a friend that once i get a chip the truck will be a very different animal. Looking at the racechip as its the only economical one i have heard good results and i am not looking to spend another $1k at this point.

It is a LITTLE more laggy but honestly i still have excellent driveability and street manners. If there is anyone looking to go down this road i would recommend this setup for daily driving and towing with out the loss of 3500-4500rpm power the stock turbo has. A similar upgrade which would be a little cheaper would be the Nissan S15 Silvia turbo, has about 30hp less capability on a gasoline motor, would be very stock like in behavior with a slight increase in higher rpm power in my OPINION.

If you know a good fabrication shop this swap is easy as pie.

Weld T25 flange onto stock manifold and resurface T25 flange US$100
Oil & water lines/fittings US$200
New down pipe US$350
Turbo US$1150
Upgraded actuator US$70
Acutator bracket US$30

You can even get it to work with the stock intercooler rubber hot pipe...alot easier than with my custom hard piping. Though i do recommend the hard piping upgrade even if only for the hot side piping as it made a noticeable increase in response.

Yes its flat as a sheet of paper here...highest point is 75ft and its some where int he bush where you cant get to...most of the island is at sea level lol

Latest posts

Back