annoying noises

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevugas

Reaction score
hi everibody.
i'can't find the reasons of two annoing vibration coming from engine i think
the first vibration it's at 1400rpm and is lower the second coming every time i change gear (A/t) and it's louder i made a registration.
all the carters on turbo or exaust looks firm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wp07urt5a89j5j/rumori nav.m4a?dl=0
here's the registration
the louder "clack" it's the gearstick

Welcome to the forum.

I can't tell from the sound, but I have a few things that you could try to narrow down the source. Also, some more info would help - how many km on the vehicle? Have you towed with it? Which gearbox is it, the 5-speed or the 7-speed?

1) Drive the car with overdrive OFF. Does it make the same sound?

2) Is the sound only at the specific engine RPM or does it happen at a specific vehicle speed? If you change gears while the sound is happening, does the vibration go away?

3) If you are stopped with the handbrake on, gearbox in Park, bonnet up and have someone else operate the throttle to 1400rpm and back to idle, can you detect the sound/vibration from the engine bay?

4) If you slide under the car, can you get any side-to-side movement of the drive shafts?

5) If you put the car into 4WD mode, does the sound/vibration go away?

1) Drive the car with overdrive OFF. Does it make the same sound?

the two sounds are one at 1400 rpm always, the second when i change gear from P to D for example not during ride

2) Is the sound only at the specific engine RPM or does it happen at a specific vehicle speed? If you change gears while the sound is happening, does the vibration go away?

yes one at 1400 rpm,the second for few second when changing driving mode

3) If you are stopped with the handbrake on, gearbox in Park, bonnet up and have someone else operate the throttle to 1400rpm and back to idle, can you detect the sound/vibration from the engine bay?
it seem to come frome engine

4) If you slide under the car, can you get any side-to-side movement of the drive shafts?

i cannot do this test

5) If you put the car into 4WD mode, does the sound/vibration go away?

tes the second vibration as gone away, the first at 1400 rpm no

Someone does need to get underneath the car and check the drive shafts, you may have a worn bearing on your front shaft.

At 1400rpm the turbocharger is just getting enough flow to start being useful, and I wonder if there's a boost or exhaust leak that causes sound at that RPM? There is nothing else "important" happening at that RPM.

Look for black soot/oil around the turbocharger, and look for oil around the big pipe that runs to the intercooler, as well as the intercooler and the pipe that goes to the intake. Black oil here will show you where you have a boost leak.

I had a gasket start to fail between the turbocharger and the exhaust manifold and at a certain RPM (about 1600 for mine) it would vibrate like a reed in a clarinet and make a screeching sound.

I'd be getting someone to rev it like that while your head is in the engine bay. Start around the turbocharger, that could easily be a gasket vibrating like a reed instrument. Mine did that just at a higher pitch. Mine did it because the bolts came loose allowing the gasket to start fluttering.

I believe that you have two problems;

1) when the gear stick is moved from P to D, the noise is drive chain related, like Tony said. Using the principle of checking the easy stuff 1st, I'd be looking for worn universal joints in the drive shaft 1st (and keeping my fingers crossed that's all it is). Like Tony said, you need to get under the car & check for play in the universal joints (while the car is switched off) If that's what it is, then it's a very simple fix.

2) I think that you have either a gasket leak, or a vacuum hose leak under the bonnet, causing the 1,400RPM noise. I considered a master cylinder noise, but dismissed that, as I can't see that happening at only the one RPM range?

Latest posts

Back