Air box taking in water

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD D40

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble of their airbox taking in water?
I have a safari snorkel fitted and even turning the head facing backwards while driving through water.
I have had to take my airfilter out as its turned into a kitchen sponge several times already!!

Ive also noticed a bolt poking through the middle of the airbox on the snorkel side which maby the culprit (spelling??) does anyone else have this shit going on???????????

Doesn't sound right, I have the Nissan snorkle, never seen any water in the box at all.

I'd have it looked at by a trusted mechanic. You could take it to Nissan, but they'll tell you the same thing that the manager at McDonalds will tell you.

"Looks ok. You want fries with that?"

It's supposed to be airtight from the opening down. On dry land, get some of that super-high-density packing foam and hold it over the intake while the engine's idling. It should stall the motor. If not, you've an air leak and it should go back to the people that fitted it.

The safari snorkles require several points in the air box to be sealed with sikaflex for complete water tight install. Also if they have not done up the clamps well on the rubber/silicon pipe that joins the main body of the snorkle to the air box it may be letting water in.

Either way it sounds like an install problem.

dont use selleys - sikaflex
sounds like an install issue- easy to solve - DIY ;p

4.8gu is right - some holes needed to be sealed
as for the bolt there is only 1 bolt in the middle bottom of the airbox - i used sikaflex around this as well
(spanish built 2006stx)
make sure the airbox seals properly -u can seal it wiotht the clips , but not have it located right - which will give non airtight fit

Turns out it was the pipe that exits the airbox and returns to the air inlet.
An external 2 piece bit of plastic.
its basically covered in sikaflex now see how it goes otherwise Ill just get a new airbox of some sort or modify the existing one.
EPA pffft who needs it

I have the Nissan Snorkel and have experienced the air box full of water, this was after travelling along flooded roads not any great depth. It seems the water gets forced up and into the box. I have just ordered a new STX and opted for no Snorkel this time so will be researching after market options.

I accidentally squirted water in mine while washing it - none went in the airbox. I obviously was pissed with myself, but could not believe none went in the airbox.

The factory nissan snorkels are shit. they are NOT water proof!!! ask nissan and they will tell youthe same thing..... after you crossed a river

The factory nissan snorkels are shit. they are NOT water proof!!! ask nissan and they will tell youthe same thing..... after you crossed a river

It's not the snorkel, but the air box itself where the foam seal is that is not watertight. Silicon fixes that.

I'd have it looked at by a trusted mechanic. You could take it to Nissan, but they'll tell you the same thing that the manager at McDonalds will tell you.

It's supposed to be airtight from the opening down. On dry land, get some of that super-high-density packing foam and hold it over the intake while the engine's idling. It should stall the motor. If not, you've an air leak and it should go back to the people that fitted it.

I think I heard somewhere recently that choking the engine to a stall fks the turbo or something else pretty important, can't remember where I read that though

Ive read that doing the bag over the snorkel trick can also cause the silicone on the joints to be put under so much pressure that it ends up causing damage to the silicone seal,causing a the weak point we did not want in the first place. Just wondering on opinions as ive thought about trying it myself.

Hey guys i am about to get a snorkel fitted to my D22 2010 but i have been told by TJM, ARB and Iron man 4X4 that due to my factory duel battery that the only type i can get is the Nissan Genuine one.
Any suggestions?

Hey guys i am about to get a snorkel fitted to my D22 2010 but i have been told by TJM, ARB and Iron man 4X4 that due to my factory duel battery that the only type i can get is the Nissan Genuine one.
Any suggestions?

the nissan one is cheaper then the others anyway. get them to install it, and go over it yourself afterwards with the silicone gun just in case! :D lol

The "Nissan" one is an Airtec with a Nissan badge on it. TJM should have known that, since they sell Airtec. Sounds to me like someone was passing the buck. Maybe your local TJM and ARB outlets are "Toyota Only".

There's a 4x4 spares place in Kotara just like that. I won't give them the time of day, they're arrogant snobs who believe the Toyota is the only vehicle to have. Their opinion is the only one worth having, their choice of vehicle is the only right choice, and their choice to live their miserable lives earning a pittance in a dingy, poorly lit motor vehicle spares outlet and MAYBE get away for the weekend is THEIR choice.

Sorry. Rant over.

I ended up getting a genuine Nissan one, i was just wondering if any one had blocked the drain hole on the genuine or airtech one? and how does it go in the rain?

no experience with any of what you're talking about, but i've got the safari snorkel, and i've got mine sealed up tight the whole length. i don't want any strays in my engine!

i say seal it!

I ended up getting a genuine Nissan one, i was just wondering if any one had blocked the drain hole on the genuine or airtech one? and how does it go in the rain?

I'm looking at getting one to for a trip planned in a few months.
How do the snorkels deal with heavy rain running down the inside or even when washing it?

Latest posts

Back