D40 Gearbox/Clutch Issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfeet

Reaction score
I'm a new member and not too sure where to post this, so I'll try here for starters.

I have 2010 manual D40 Ute with just under 90k on it. At the moment it will start and while I can select a gear it will not move. I can start it without depressing the clutch and, with the motor running and no clutch, I can select gears.

I figured the clutch is stuffed, and there was certainly smoke and smell to suggest that, but I have never blown a clutch where all of these symptoms have been present. With the ute immobile and sitting 50 km away from where I might be able to get much done on it, I would like to at least get it moving even if only for a short trip, if possible.

Any ideas?

if the clutch has gone total theres nothing you can really do other than a tow or trailer job. are you 100% sure its the actuall clutch thats gone ? it could be a slave or master cylinder gone with abit of luck. i really think it is the clutch going by the smell you mentioned.

Might be one of the last DMF D40s and it could have either burned the clutch (very likely), or the heat could have damaged the thrust springs in the pressure plate (very likely), or the flywheel's been destroyed (not so likely).

It's tow/trailer sadly. I'd recommend an Exedy HD clutch and a single mass flywheel as a replacement while you're at it. The dual mass flywheels are too thin and don't take heat well at all.

Thanks very much for the responses. Pretty much as I thought. I still find it hard to believe that it has gone to that extent. I will definitely take up the suggestion of the Exedy HD clutch and single mass flywheel.

hopefully thats all it is and not something more internal like a broken shaft somewhere. but if its got that burning clutch smell it points more towards something around the clutch

Jump on ebay mate and look at 4terrain or npc smf conversions for the d40. Should be around 1250$ ish... Then that again for fitting.

Did mine in my 2011 ST at 60k. Best thing I ever did Tbh

I'm really surprised Nissan never fixed this problem under warranty for people or sent a recall. It is a really well known stuff up

I'm really surprised Nissan never fixed this problem under warranty for people or sent a recall. It is a really well known stuff up

That is a surprise, but Nissan aren't alone. The VW and SAAB forums are also full of complaints about the DMFs.

And I somehow doubt that DMFs are high on anyone's priority list in the VW factory at the moment!

Latest posts

Back