D22 wont start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantelle

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Nissan Navara D22 diesel that wont start. It cranks but wont fire up. Fuel filter has been replaced and fuel flows through but there is no pressure even after you pump it manually, so there doesnt seem to be a blockage but the fuel isnt being pushed through?

I am not sure if the fuel pump needs replacing or if there is anything else we can try first?

has it only stopped starting after the fuel filter was done?
if so probably need to bleed injectors. undo one injection slightly and crank it over and check fuel gets squirted out.

if filter was changed after it stopped starting, then can you say when it stopped and what was it doing just before hand.

Long story short it wouldnt start on the weekend after Id travelled 4 hours to Canberra so we had it towed to the mechanics and they replaced the filter for me. It started up fine and I drove to a friends place, approx 30min from the mechanics and then home (over 4 hours away). During that time I had stopped three times and turned the car off and it started fine each time.

Went to start the car yesterday morning for work and it's doing the same thing it did on the weekend :(

i would bleed injector as above. keep pumping primer till its hard.
if no fuel come out and primer is still soft take outlet hose off the filter. pump primer and see if fuel comes out.

you may have an air leak. air gets sucked in as you drive and/or primer one way valve has failed allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.

Welcome to the forum.

As Tweak'e said, check the fuel is flowing. Diesels are really simple beasties - you give them some diesel and they'll go, because they get a lungful of air all the time regardless (they don't work the same as petrol engines).

There's a chance it's the glow plugs - but really, it should fire without glowing. I've cranked mine over on a cold morning without thinking or waiting and it's fired up.

The only other thing I can think of is something stuck in your air intake or a filthy air filter. Guy showed up at the dealer where I get my car serviced - couldn't start the car. Took them a while to realise that the grille on the snorkel was missing, and down in the pipe wedged into the bend at the bottom was an owl.

Thanks for the help!! Unfortunately the car still isnt starting after trying your suggestions so it is being towed to the mechanics tomorrow... will keep you updated!

Ol tony, an owl lol ! Man your lucky to see one in the wild- whats the chances of having one jamed in your snorkle ...

Latest posts

Back