Pre-purchase Check

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coreski

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking into a Navara as my next 4x4. The replace a 400k '98 Patrol GU 2.8TD.

I have read many times about the 2.5 Diesel engines blowing themselves and was wondering if this problem has been fixed in the newer Navaras' circa 2011-2012?

Alternatively if a decent one comes up grab a 2005-2006 3.0Di.

Any advice on either of these models would be greatly appreciated.

Corey

Both the 2.5 & 3.0 are good motors if they've been cared for (more torque from the 3 & more power from the 2.5).

In short - check the service history of any thing your looking at.

Good hunting

Welcome to the forum.

You may have heard of the Patrol GU30 "grenades". The Navara is a little different in two main ways: they improved the engine so it doesn't grenade anywhere near as much, and in the Navara you can't smell the bags of Dynamic Lifter you're taking home from Bunnings.

Any car could blow up on you. The older 3.0L turbos that didn't have intercoolers would blow the turbo compressor and the engine would eat the bits, destroying itself. The two solutions are to install an intercooler, and to treat the turbo with a little more respect.

The YD25 motors in the D22s (96kW) were pretty solid engines and didn't suffer timing chain issues anywhere near like we hear about in the YD25-powered D40s (126kW). The top-mounted intercoolers were prone to leaking a little around the seams. you could tell by a reduction in power, a squeal at boost and what appeared to be (and was) an oil leak around the split.

Apart from that, they are hard to kill if serviced and driven responsibly.

Good luck!

I can only comment on the 2.5l. The later models would have no problems. Some early YD25's had some issues but they have been addressed. If you do the rite mods early and take care of it, it will last a long time.
If you are buying second hand and it's had the EGR mod done already, take that as a positive not a negative. If I was looking for one with a few km,s on it I would prefer it had the EGR blanked off earlier in its life.

Cheers. Brad

A well looked after zd30 will outlast a yd25 sadly the Hitachi turbo failed in a lot of the zd30 at 150 to 200k. Forget the grenade rubbish restore the turbo and keep it. Look at the crap on the market and what's about to arrive. Most will be very average off road.

Latest posts

Back