No Start, Possible Fuel pump issues?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowy21

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 2002 ZD30 Nav. owned the ute now for a couple years has 180 000km on the clock and hasn't given me an ounce of trouble until sunday just been.

Everything was working fine all morning, come home from town parked her up in the driveway. Went to go out in the afternoon and it wont start, turns over just wont fire up. I'm no mechanic but love to fiddle and learn, ive done a bit of reading on here and have gone through the basics. charged the battery, checked fuel filter wasnt full of shit. Ive done the bridging of the OBD2 connector to get up the error codes, which was like a never ending list. assuming that the faults had never been reset I cleared them thinking that when I tried to start the ute again the current problem would throw up a code, wrong I was. now the only code come up is 0505 ( system normal)

Before clearing the codes I did write down a few in no particular order.

0705 Pump Control Module
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit failure

0403 Accelerator Position Sensor
(out of range signal received from sensor or switch assembly) Circuit malfunction, Accelerator Position Sensor failure, Accelerator Pedal Dual Contact Position Switch failure, ECM failure

0402 Fuel Temperature Sensor
(incorrect signal for fuel temperature received) Refer to Injection Pump Control Unit
Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure

0301 ECM 2, failure (calculation function is malfunctioning) Internal IC failure

0103 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (excessively high or low voltage at ECM) Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure

Am I up for a new pump? or could it be a faulty ECU?
Ive cracked open what I think to be an injector housing on the outside of the head and no diesel squirts out when turning it over.

Is there anyway of getting it to throw a fault code without it starting and running?

Any help is greatly appreciated sorry about the long winded post.

Thanks Pete

The very first thing I would do is squeeze the primr bulb a few times. If you get 5-6 squeezes and it's still not firm, you've developed a leak (possibly a failed primer bulb too) and the fuel has run back to the tank. It won't start if this is the case and running the fuel pump dry won't do it any good. The primer bulb is your first port of call if you suspect no fuel reaching the engine bay (and the first thing to check if your injectors aren't receiving fuel). You might need to re-mount fuel filter, or hoses, or replace some hosing, and each time the test is to try priming the system. Only try starting it once the primer firms up, indicating that there's fuel in it.

If there's fuel and still no start, the next thing is to remove the battery negative terminal, press your foot on the brake pedal, then check the two battery terminals for cleanliness. Follow the negative lead to the side of the motor and ensure that it's making a good contact with it (this isn't an uncommon problem). Once those points are checked, reconnect the negative battery terminal and try again.

If your engine actually coughs but doesn't run, blocking the EGR valve might help. A fully open EGR valve won't do any good while the engine is starting - it will flood the intake with exhaust gas.

Hi tony The fuel primer goes hard after only a few pumps, have tried starting whilst someone pumps the primer also, but I haven't checked the earths yet, will do and see how it goes.

I cant seem to find a fuse for the fuel pump, the fuse panel inside the cab has a spot labelled fuel pump but the fuse holder is blank.( no fuse)

Where would I find the pump fuse and relay??
Theres several relays in the under bonnet fuse panel but none labelled pump

Thanks Pete

Pretty sure the zd30 won't have a fuse or relay for the fuel pump. That would be for the petrol models. I think you may be right in assuming the ecu on the pump itself has crapped out... hopefully not, for your sake, but if the primer is hard and still no go then there's not much else it can be...

Pretty sure the zd30 won't have a fuse or relay for the fuel pump. That would be for the petrol models. I think you may be right in assuming the ecu on the pump itself has crapped out... hopefully not, for your sake, but if the primer is hard and still no go then there's not much else it can be...

it obviously does, its high pressure electric pump. in fact when i had to park to an airport for some time i took the fuse with me so even if someone tried to steal the truck he couldnt do it.

Sorry for the stupid questions,

The ecu on the pump, is that replaceable or is it one unit?

Will buying a new or second hand injector pump come with the ecu attached?

The fuel injection pump on the Australian ZD30 appears to be driven by a pair of gears directly off the crankshaft (crankshaft -> idler gear -> pump gear). There's a sprocket on the front of the pump's main shaft which has a chain that drives the camshaft.

i am pretty sure you cant just replace like the ecu only and second hand units shoud come complete. here is where you can find your fuse.
image.png

Latest posts

Back