D22 Wheel Options

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a dilemma, I am wanting replace my current set of factory alloys and tyres. From what I understand the alloy wheels on my 04 D22 STR are 16x7 with a +40 offset. I also have a 2 inch suspension lift.

My options are:
1. Buy a set of GU patrol 17inch alloy wheels: I like the look of these and they are a little heavier than the original 16 inch alloys but will still probably be lighter than a 16 inch steel wheel. I would probably run a 265/70/17 tyre on these to give me a little size increase over the standard 265/70/16. The patrol alloys are 17x8 and are closer to +10 offset I am lead to believe. Using this calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp I am probably going to increase my wheel track by 30mm on each side, the maximum allowable in QLD is 50mm on 4WD vehicles going by the new NCOP rules. So this in effect would be illegal. Is this the correct assumption to make?

2. Buy a set of black steel wheels: they look better than the factory alloys but the GU patrol wheels look better. I would buy either 16x7 or 16x8 (what is difference? both will fit a 265 wide tyre?) and try and get a +20 offset so that I gain approx 20mm wheel track either side making a total of 40mm increase which would be legal. I would run these with a 265/75/16 tyre.

Both tyre/wheel combos with give a similar height increase but the patrol alloys will have a larger wheel track. Increasing the wheel track is good for stability but also increases load on bearings and steering components, am I correct in thinking this?

Also it seems tyres for 17 inch tyres are more expensive than 16inch tyres, and are also probably less common, this is a down side when it comes round to replacing the tyres in the future.

I like the look of the patrol rims and people have done it in the past, but the legalities of the swap have me concerned (although when has anyone been defected for 10mm too much wheel track, with a genuine nissan rim fitted? I dont think it would be something many people would have problems with). Or am I better to just buy the steel wheels and gain a little wheel track but not too much. Sorry for the long winded multi-question but it's driving me insane

Cheers,
Shorty

Actually going from a 16x7 stock alloy to either the 17x8 (+10 offset) patrol alloy or the 16x8 (+20 offset) steel will likely increase my wheel track by an additional 12.5mm either side. Making both options above illegal by increasing my wheel track above 50mm.

so a 16x7 with +20 offset (gives 40mm increased wheel track) or a 16x8 with +28 offset (gives 48mm increasde wheel track)would be the legal options for new wheels.

In my opinion it depends what you intend to do . Are you going off road and likely to scuffe up you wheels . Then go steels. If you want it to look pretty and do a bit of no so spastic of road , go the pootrol rims. You would be dead set unlucky to get defected unless you drive like a ****tard . But that's just IMO :D

Last edited:
I go offroad a little but mainly for camping and touring and its mainly beach/unsurfaced roads. I don't go out looking for huge mud holes or massively hard tracks. Hence why I dont really need steel wheels, but they are the cheapest option and easies to get to keep a legal wheel track.

In an ideal world Id buy a 16x7 patrol alloy wheel with +20 offset hahahahah, if only they existed

Sorry but if it is 12.5mm each side how does that increase track by 50mm? To me that is 24mm?

Is it a massive risk being pinged for 10mm over allowable total wheel track in QLD?

Here in VIC they rarely even look at 4wds twice unless you are driving a monster truck with shit bolted and modified everywhere or your doing a shit-tonne over the speed limit, running roadwork bollards or signs down or trying to jump speed humps. And apparently they are more worried about the overhang rather than the wheel track, where you just add that rubber flare gizmo to compensate for the overhang.

Is adding rubber flair strips along the edge of the factory flares sufficient to hide it/make it legal in QLD?

They'd be fair constables to pick it wouldn't they?

Sorry guys I meant by adding and extra inch to your wheel width, ie going from a 16x7 to a 16x8 with increase your wheel track by half an inch so 12.5mm and both wheels by 25mm (not 24mm sorry that's my mistake).

So going to the rim size 16x8 and having an offset of +28 (I think this is obtainable), your wheel track increases 12.5mm a side for your extra rim width and also 12mm a side for your extra offset, giving a total of 48mm, making it just legal.

Going with a 16x7 rim you could go down to an offset of +15 as you gain no extra wheel track as your wheel width remains the same but your extra offset will yield a total of 50mm increase wheel track.

The next question is, what offsets are available in steel wheels, I have seen -28 (hilux offset), 0, +28 or +30? These are all the ones I have found.

Now the bigger offset you have the better the car looks so getting a 0 offset steel wheel would be good, but illegal. In regards to rastiks comment getting the rubber flair extending would hide it and also keep it legal from the perspective of the tyre not protruding past the body, but it would not be legal as the wheel track increase is above 50mm. In the scheme of things I am not worried about being defected as I would say the chance of that is very small, more so worried if I have to sell by D22 and I cant get a roadworthy as the wheels aren't correct. I suppose worse comes to worse I could just keep my stock wheels and put them back on if I ever need to get a road worthy.

When I engineered mine, under the ncop a solid axle vehicle was allowed 50mm increase but the navara was in a differet category and only allowed 25mm increase. If you are worried about being legal it might be worth checking that.

This is from the QLD transport website http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Ve...cations/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx#qcop

"Vehicle Track
Track is measured at ground level from the centre of the tyre on one side to the centre of the corresponding tyre on the opposite side of the vehicle. The front and rear track
differs on many vehicles.

The wheel track of passenger cars (or derivatives) must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. This means that the rim offset must not be changed by more than 12.5mm.

The wheel track of off-road four wheel drive vehicles and goods vehicles must not be increased by more than 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. If a solid axle from another manufacturer is used, the wheel track may be increased by 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that particular axle, provided all other requirements such as clearances are meet and the tyres do not protrude outside of the vehicle bodywork.

This does not apply to passenger vehicles that are four wheel drive or all wheel drive and certified as MA category vehicles on the vehicle identification plates. A vehicle’s identification plate can usually be located under the bonnet on the vehicle’s firewall or inside the driver’s door jamb."

What class of vehicle is a D22 MA (Passenger) or MC (Offroad)? I can't find it anywhere on the VIN plate

Last edited:
Ok so it seems like there is another class of vehicle called a Light Goods Vehicle which has the classifcation NA

This is what the QCOP says
"The wheel track of off-road and four wheel drive vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must not be increased by more than 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. The wheel track of passenger vehicles, including four wheel drives or all wheel drive vehicles certified as MA ADR category must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model."

Also: The wheels must be contained within the bodywork or mudguards (including flares) when the wheels are in the straight-ahead position. Adequate clearance must be available between the tyres and the vehicle bodywork.

after reading your info and also going through the engineering paperwork for my other 4x4 that i am getting done at the moment, it turn out the rules have changed since i did mine originally. NCOP is now allowing 50mm on all 4x4's, so i went back to my engineer and got my mod plate sorted for the wider track and my 285/75r16's!

Latest posts

Back