Pathfinder Ti 550 R51

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milkman

Reaction score
not a navara question - but does anyone have some feed back on the
Nissan Pathfinder Ti 550 R51
needing the extra seating capacity

It's a Navara that lets you smell the manure you're hauling. Simple as that.

Okay, there are a couple of other technical differences, but they're all related to the tail end of the car - up front they're pretty much the same thing. The Pathfinder is shorter, with coil suspension on the rear, so airbags can be added without worry of causing damage to the chassis.

The distance between the rear axle and the towball is much less, so the effect of a heavy trailer on the car is reduced. The longer that distance, the longer the lever, and the more effect a heavy tow ball weight has in lifting the front wheels of the car (so the Navara will need a WDH more than a Pathfinder). Yes, I tow a 2.5T van and yes, I use a suitable WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch). I prefer my front wheels to be firmly on the ground, so that I maintain the vehicle's balance, braking and steering control - that's what a WDH is for. The Pathfinder won't be as sensitive to a heavy load - but if you have a van that's "up there" in weight, then you should still consider it. The chassis of the Pathfinder doesn't have a problem with the WDH as long as there are enough mounting points of the tow hitch to the car.

The Pathfinder also pitches more when off-road and has a slightly better turning circle. This is because the Navara's rear axle is further back - the Pathfinder is about 300mm shorter in wheelbase and overall length. For towing it'll make the Navara marginally (and almost unnoticeably) better. For off-road use it'll be an even race - the occupants of the pathfinder will be thrown about a little more but the Navara doesn't have as good a ramp-over clearance - that extra 300mm in the Nav is significant.

I wanted one but the misses made me buy the r52.

So I bought the stx-550 for myself.

Drivetrain is amazballs

The Pathfinder R51 550 gearbox runs normally in Auto mode (4wd with no center diff lock enabled) so you can't select 2wd as in the other variants, so you use a little more fuel.

It has hill decent control and if you are taking in offroad, then watch the 4WD Low changeup in 1st with the 7 speed gearbox when performing slow hill decents.

There is some lag before it kicks in so you need to watch places where you want to get in quickly like busy roundabouts, but when it's spooled up - it moves alright.

I would check the intercooler (if stock) for oil and fit a catch can. I had mine replaced and it's more related to the V9X engine.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I use it to tow a 3T van.

We have an R51 pathfinder, but not the V6. I was happy enough to go and buy a Navara when I upgraded my car to a ute.

Pathfinder is still a bit of a truck, but a comfortable truck. The rear seats are really useful and quick and easy to fold into the floor and you can use one if you still need to put a fridge/esky/some luggage in.

We've towed a small van a few times now and I've bought some airbags to install as it seems to get a bit of a saggy bum with a load on.

So far so good for ours, no mechanical issues. I haven't had opportunity to off road it, but the 4wd has come in handy on a couple of occasions when its been slippery on some trails. By all avvounts they are very capable off road. Check the PCOA forum.

The airbags only help things along if you have a heavy ball weight. If you wanted to fit the body lift the bags will have no interference with the body lift spacers.

Can also get airbags suitable for a 50mm suspension lift easily.

The airbags are recommended as with a load in the back the tyres can scrub out a lot quicker when the suspension is 'squashed'

Latest posts

Back